Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Why straight? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next 
Richard Fay

Reading list: 256 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Thu 12 Oct, 2006 3:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello again!
Falchions, messers, and other weapons such as axes and maces were indeed used by medieval knights and other warriors, but the sword took the premier place of prestige. Oakeshott seems to define the "knightly" sword as a straight, double edged weapon descended from the swords of the prehistoric Celts. He drew a line of evolution through the Roman spatha and the Viking sword. In The Sword in the Age of Chivalry, he claims, in the discussion of the hilt on the Conyer's Falchion, that the falchion is outside the scope of the book, in other words, not a "knightly" sword, even though the Conyer's Falchion is certainly a noble sword.
I think he concludes this for good reason; even though knights might have used other weapons in "real life", they wished to be depicted for all eternity with their straight, double-edged swords at their sides. Almost every knightly tomb effigy and monumental brass shows a straight sword at the knights' sides. A few, such as the early brass of Sir John D'Aubernoun (1277), and some German effigies of the Count of Orlamunde (ca. 1340-1350), Kaiser Ludwig the Bavarian (d. 1347), Heinrich of Seinshiemd (d. 1349), and Peter Kreglingerd. (d. 1365) show a lance as well as a sword, but most wished to be shown on their monuments with swords at their sides. Civilian brasses usually lack swords (and armour as well). Some bear a long-bladed baselard, but not a true knightly sword.
An interesting brass is that of Guillaume Wenemaer (c. 1325) in Ghent. He is shown holding a naked sword. He was a captain and magistrate of Ghent. I believe he was a burgher with knightly pretensions!
I think the knightly effigies and brasses could be used to further the argument that the longevity of the straight, double-edged sword had something to do with cultural traditions and symbolism.
Stay safe!

"I'm going to do what the warriors of old did! I'm going to recite poetry!"
Prince Andrew of Armar
George Hill

PostPosted: Thu 12 Oct, 2006 3:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A. Jake Storey II wrote:
Now wether or not a Katana could cut through steel armor...The only thing that made a longsword more likely to cut through was it was heavier and would have more mumentum. A sword is only ad good as its metal, and it's wealder. If the sword could fisicly take a shot from a .45 (not sure what it's called but I saw the test video on YouTube) and not have very much damidg then it's likly that it could cut through armer. The only limiting facter is could the Samurai get enuf force in his swing to use such a light weapon? Mabey not, but mabey so. There are some acounts of them cleaving through the cutlesis of some europien sailors, I don't know wether thats true or not but... and I have seen friend use a cheep stainless steel Katana and cut holes into an old Shevy 1 tun van. (it was a pranke, the fan was going to the dump the next day anyway.)

Jake, first, the Kat and the longsword weight about the same, give or take a little bit. If anything, the European sword has a good chance of being LIGHTER, due to thinner cross section, but that will change depending on the type of European sword. Second, the Steel used in Europe tended to be very good, the 'cutting a cutlass' idea is from Highlander the series, and nothing there can be taken seriously.

As to the reason for the straight blade, I've formed the theory that MOST cultures that use the shield extensively demonstrate a preference for a double edged sword, usually straight. Now, some think this is because you dull your edge on the shield, but personally I believe it is because you can reach around the shield and hook the other fellow. (This isn't a blow so much as a slice.) The Romans seem to have been fond of this move (When they weren't stabbing.)

The thing with the .45 is viewed more as a prank then a real test.

Richard, I agree the sword was quite important, but was it 'more' important? Now, they ceremony of bestowing Knighthood seems to be subject to change, but one of the rituals I always liked the sound of was standing vigil.....over your armor.

Also, the book of Knighthood and Chivalry states on page 41 that a man must have a good horse and a complete harness to be made Knight. It does not say he must have a sword. "A Knight without harness may not be.... and neither ought he be made Knight..."

Of course, one could say this only applies to 'true' Knights, as it later refers to 'Robbers Knights who are not Knights," yet is does call them Knights.... sort of. It could use a little work as far as the grammar is concerned. It also says a good bit about the sort of person who may be made Knight, but the only objects it says he must possess are his horse and his armor.

Of course, in such a dynamic civilization, rules are often ignored, but I would say that the rule is that the armor is more important, but that the rule may often have not been followed. Wink Your opinion?

To abandon your shield is the basest of crimes. - --Tacitus on Germania
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Thu 12 Oct, 2006 3:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Martin Wilkinson wrote:
Also European swords were not heavy, and for what i can gather Katana's are not that much lighter (if at all) than many examples of European Longswords.

This would make an interesting topic on its own. The issue of the relative weights of medieval European swords vs. Katana is often filled with inaccurate assumptions, myths, and other wrong generalizations. This reminds me of a similar dicussion of the so-called "lightweight" rapiers vs. the so-called "heavy" single-handed cruciforn swords, etc. etc.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Richard Fay

PostPosted: Thu 12 Oct, 2006 4:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello all!

George Hill wrote:

Richard, I agree the sword was quite important, but was it 'more' important? Now, they ceremony of bestowing Knighthood seems to be subject to change, but one of the rituals I always liked the sound of was standing vigil.....over your armor.

George,
I think our difference of opinion is really the difference between a more "practical" importance and a more "symbolic " importance. Armour was certainly important in the creation of a knight; in the early 11th century anyone who could afford a warhorse (remember, a knight couldn't be a knight without a horse, either), armour, equipment, and peasants to till his land could become a knight.

The dubbing ceremony of the 12th century "basically consisted of the arming of the new knight, particularly of girding on the sword, which was done by his lord or by a powerful relative...The sword was usually a gift to the new knight from his sponsor" (from The Knight in History by Frances Gies). When knighted, William Marshal "donned a new mantle, the gift of his sponsor, the Lord of Tancerville, who girded on his sword and gave him the colee" (from Gies). In Sidney Painter's William Marshal: Knight Errant, Baron, and Regent of England, the description is almost identical (I think Frances Gies used Painter as her source.) The author states that "dressed in a new mantle, the young man stood before the chamberlain, who girt him with a sword, the principal emblem of knighthood, and gave him the ceremonial blow". Again from Gies, the Young King Henry, son of Henry II, chose William Marshal to gird on his sword and give him the ritual colee.

The knighting ceremony did become more elaborate later on, but the sword was often of great importance in the ceremony. Even in the much more elaborate ceremony described in Ramon Lull's late 13th century work Libre del orde de cauayleria, the girding of the sword and colee played a vital part (Gies yet again).

Now, armour was indeed important to medieval knights; after all, they wished to be depicted in armour upon their brasses and effigies. It was needed to be considered noble enough for knighting, but it was not necessary for the knighting ceremony. The styles of armour changed on the brasses and effigies, but knights were still depicted with swords at their sides long after swords ceased to be (if they ever were) the most effective battlefield weapon. Knights didn't wish to be shown with maces, axes, or clubs!

I do believe, based on how prevalent the girding of the sword was in the knighting ceremonies, that the sword did have the greatest symbolic importance. It seems to have been more necessary to the knighting ceremony than armour. Still, armour (and a horse as well) may have had more "practical" importance in being considered a man of knightly rank.

Another point, I believe more swords bore individual names (Excalibur, Durendal, Joyeuse, etc.) than armour. I am aware that Harald Hardrada had a hauberk named "Emma", but it seems few knights had armour with personal monikers. I think this is more proof of the personal importance attributed to swords by medieval warriors.

Armour was important, but swords seem to have held a special place in the hearts of knights. Like I said before, this may be one factor in the preference and longevity of straight, double-edged swords in western Europe.

Stay safe!

Prince Andrew of Armar
A. Jake Storey II

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 12 Oct, 2006 6:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

One thing I think we should remember (including myself) is time periods. Throughout history the demensions of the Katana changed. Sertin early Katanas (not sure exactly how early) were a bit longer and heavier then others. Also, it depends on the art vavered by the swordsmen. While a "soft" swordsman will yous a more curved and lighter wait Katana, the "hard" swordsman would use a thicker heavier and strater Katana. Through the Midieval ages you could see simuler changes to swords, thikaning for a cut aprouch, narowing and/or increasing the taper for a more thrust oriented strike, changing its wait.

Also, The way one would swing a heavaly curved sword to take advantage would be slightly diferent, You would move as though exacuting a reguler "hack" but by a diferent placing of wrist and elbow alow the curve of the blade to run along the target. This may not be to good against plate or chainmail armor but against a lightly armored aponent it would alow you to use less energy to get simuler efects. Like runing the edge of a nife along a stake rather then just pushing down. I don't realy think we (again, enclueding me.) should put one up as beter because they all have good points and bad. My preferenc may be for curve but thats just cause I like the feel and the way I move alows me to take advantige of it's shape.

Only you can deny yourself your rights.
Too ignore the rights of others, is to forfeit you own!
Thereby, in your crime, YOU bring Justice on your own head!!!
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Thu 12 Oct, 2006 7:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have certain preferences based on the types of swords I own and play with. I observe that I cut much better with some of them than with others. If I'm not careful to keep the "I" part as a significant framing factor, it is easy to subjectively extrapolate that X is better than Y because I am better with X.

Bottom line is that observations can easily be very subjective, yet they are what we tend to found our opinions and beliefs on. Why straight instead of curved may, in the end, come down to subjective oberservations.

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Richard Fay

PostPosted: Thu 12 Oct, 2006 8:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello again!
Not to beat a dead horse, but I found another description of the knighting ceremony in Sword in Hand by Ewart Oakeshott that further emphasizes the symbolic importance played by the sword. Oakeshott describes a knighting ceremony of the 12th century, probably using the same sources that I quoted earlier, but he gives more details. By the 12th century, the ceremony became more elaborate than the simple adoubement of the earlier period. This is quoted from Oakeshott:

"On the eve of his admission to the order, the aspirant to Chivalry was solemnly stripped of his clothes by his fellow squires and put into a bath, a symbol of purification. Then he was dressed in a white tunic, emblem of purity (analogous to the chrisom of baptism); and a scarlet mantle, the emblem of nobility, and hose and shoes of black, symbolic of death and the earth in which all must eventually lie. He was girt with the white cingulum for chastity, and led to the church or the castle chapel, where all night he would keep solitary vigil in prayer, his arms lying before the altar" (your favourite part, George. I knew this was a part of it, I just question that it's the most important part). "In the morning, he would make his confession and hear Mass. Then comes the great moment. After the alleluias of the Gradual, he hands his sword to the priest, who lays it on the altar and prays for a blessing upon it" (not the armour, but the sword). "He returns it with these words": (this is the really interesting bit)

"Accipe gladium istum in nomine Patris et Filii et Spiritus Sancti et utaris eo in densam tuam et sancti Dei Ecclesiae et confusionem inimicorum crucis Christi ac fidei Christiannae" (My Latin knowledge is almost non-existent, but it has something to do with "accept (?) this sword in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit, and so on...)

"Virtue has passed into it (the sword); he receives it back from the priest and brandishes it three times, sheaths it, and hands it to his sponsor-who might be his liege lord or simply another knight, for all who received knighthood might bestow it-and makes his vow of knighthood to him. Then he is armed in his complete war-gear by his friends and attendants, but it is left to his sponsor to gird on his sword and give him the colee or accolade..."

(Of course, on the battlefield, the colee given by the lord or captain was all that was really needed to confer knighthood.)

So the sword was of more importance to the ceremony of knighthood than the armour. The armour played it's role, but the sword was held with a higher regard.

Also, I think that the fact that medieval nobles were sometimes buried with their swords, but almost never with their armour, says something about the symbolic significance and importance of the "knightly" sword. Swords were found in the tombs of Sancho IV (el Bravo) of Castile, Fernando de la Cerda, Estore Visconti, and Can Grande della Scala, to name a few. Great lords often had swords included in their funerary achievements, like the sword that once went with the scabbard that hung over the Black Prince's tomb in Canterbury Cathedral, or Henry V's famous sword. Also, sometimes lords would have themselves portrayed in civilian clothes, but bear their swords (and shields), like on the statue of Count Ekkehard and other benefactors of Naumburg Cathedral.

I think all this can suggest that the sword held a traditional, symbolic position in medieval European chivalric society. Perhaps the traditions and symbolisms were also reasons, besides the practical aspects of "cut versus thrust", that straight swords seemed to be preferred in western Europe.

I hope this wasn't too far off the topic thread!

By the way, can anyone translate the prayer for me? I would love to see a translation!

Stay safe!

Prince Andrew of Armar
George Hill

PostPosted: Thu 12 Oct, 2006 8:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Richard Fay wrote:
Hello again!
"Accipe gladium istum in nomine Patris et Filii et Spiritus Sancti et utaris eo in densam tuam et sancti Dei Ecclesiae et confusionem inimicorum crucis Christi ac fidei Christiannae" (My Latin knowledge is almost non-existent, but it has something to do with "accept (?) this sword in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit, and so on...)!

AH! You have proven me correct. You need armor... to stand vigil over, so you must have it to become a Knight... but you don't need a sword, because you are asked to accept a sword during the cerimony. So obviously you must get your own armor in advance, but if you haven't got a sword, you'll be given one. Wink (yes, I noticed you said "hands HIS sword.")

A bit more seriously though, thanks for the description. I've been looking for the full cerimony for some time.

Last edited by George Hill on Thu 12 Oct, 2006 8:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Steven H

PostPosted: Thu 12 Oct, 2006 8:42 pm    Post subject: Samurai Myths         Reply with quote

As I've looked into the 'misconceptions' of Samurai arms and armor, and because it is a pet-peeve of mine, I would like to present some more information.

Japanese Armor Materials
Every museum description of antique Japanese armour, that I've ever come across, describes it as being made of leather, steel or both. Leather and steel were both laquered hardening the already thick rawhide used by the Japanese and water-proofing (and decorating, fashion was important) the steel. So leather, wood, steel and bamboo all look the same because of lacquer.

The simplest reference for this is Anthony J. Bryant's essay on Japanese armour construction. The audience is SCA but his credentials are very good.

I've been told of occasional references to the poorest members of Japanese society occasionally making bamboo armor for themself to be able to join the army (which generally involves free food and shelter). Any modern practictioner of tameshigiri should be able to attest to the fact that bamboo is of no regard to a proper sword strike. An accomplished student of tameshigiri is expected to be able to cut through 'flesh-like' tatami, bamboo and just as effortlessly cut the tatami on the other side. Clearly the conclusion of tameshigiri practitioners is that bamboo is of no value to armor flesh.

Cutting Steel Armor
Originally the purpose of tameshigiri was to test the sword. All swords made in an area were tested by the same swordsmen. Most swordsmen did not do tameshigiri. One of the test performed was kabuto-wari, helmet breaking. The objective of this test was to demonstrate that a sword could be slammed full force into a steel helmet and the sword not damaged. The helmet was not cleaved in two. Surviving official records of kabuto-wari indicate that a quality sword could put about a 10cm/4" cut into a helmet. (Even through the mostly intact helmet would such a blow be terribly effective on the battlefield: I assume yes. Potentially, but not consistently or quickly, lethal? I suspect yes)

The current world record for kabuto-wari is only 13cm/5". And that was under conditions totally unlike battle.

Surviving sword traditions that date to a period of time when the Japanese still regularly took to the battlefield in armor are known as kyo-ru. The kyo-ru are distinct from modern kendo. The techniques used in kyo-ru for defeating an armored opponent are very similar to the techniques used in Western swordsmanship. Specifically, thrusts at weak spots with the off-hand on the blade (back of the blade actually), grappling, use of a back-up, rondell like dagger and, always preferred, something besides a katana - such as a yari, naginata or bow.

Clearly Japanese swordsman from the 15th century did not think their swords could cut steel.

Superiority of the Curved Edge
As Angus Trim already described, when cutting a curved target, a curved sword is a minute improvement in terms of force per area. Additionally, plenty of modern cutting demos have shown that straight bladed swords can consistently cleave all the way to the bone. Wisby and Towton provide even more evidence of straight swords cutting all the way to the bone and even through it. I don't what more can be expected that cutting to the bone. I don't see a compelling reason to need to cut deeper. The limb in question would be rendered useless, blood loss would be catastrophic and the medicine of the era poorly set-up to treat such a wound.

Further, a great many makers of curved swords seemed not to have considered the curve a great aid to cutting. The part of a katana that cuts is the least curved portion of the sword. The CoP of a saber is generally at or just below the end of the curvature.

However, I've seen several descriptions from period sources of the advantages of curved swords from horseback. While not all (back) curved swords are used by horsemen, they are predominantly a cavalry weapon.

The Katana
The katana's weight was generally in the same range as a longsword. The katana is a 40" long piece of steel, rather thick on the back side, whereas western swords were typically a little longer and with more distal taper. These are of course generalizations of equipment used by a great many individuals, over a great period of time and for a variety of situations. But both sword forms are made of about the same length of the same material, and as such can be expected to have similar weights.

As described in this doctoral thesis(near the bottom) the katana is made of the same material and in a non-unique manner. Therefore we cannot expect it to possess greatly different capabilities than other swords. Again the notion that it could cut steel armor (while a European sword could not) is not supported by the evidence.

There are no recorded incidents of katanas cutting a European sword in combat conditions. However, there are recorded incidents of the Scottish broadswords breaking the English smallswords in the 17th or 18th century. The only incident desrcibing a katana used against a European sword was against smallswords (not longswords). This was in a peaceful demonstration wherein two of the swords of a Dutch trader were placed in fixed mounts and then broken with katana attacks. Japanese tales do tell of plenty of katanas that broke while in use. No period sources describe any expectation that a katana should expected to simply cleave in two a 'lesser' blade.

The bullet thing
A .45 cal pistol round was fired at a katana and the katana didn't break. A small blob of a soft metal(lead) that was softened (by heating from the propellant gases of the gun) was hurled at high speeds at the hard metal (steel) sword. A small blob of softened soft metal is not at all like hardened steel armor. Also the test was not done with a European, straight sword, or any other type of sword or repeated. Its informative value on the battlefield capabilities of the sword is nil and its value in comparing the relative abilities of different swords is also nil.

Why I like straight-bladed swords. You can attack with both edges. This frequently shows up in the Lichtenauer I'm studying. It's better in the thrust. Again something that shows up frequently in Lichtenauer. So it's a versatile weapon.

There are plenty of good curved swords and styles to take advantage of it properties. The exact same is true of straight-bladed swords. Most cultures used both. I assume for a practical reason.
Richard Fay

PostPosted: Thu 12 Oct, 2006 8:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello again!

George Hill wrote:

AH! You have proven me correct. You need armor... to stand vigil over, so you must have it to become a Knight... but you don't need a sword, because you are asked to accept a sword during the cerimony. So obviously you must get your own armor in advance, but if you haven't got a sword, you'll be given one. (yes, I noticed you said "hands HIS sword.")

Aha! I think I finally get where you're coming from on this one!

I do think we were approaching the issue from two different angles, the "symbolic" versus the "practical". Yes, you should be able to own your own armour and horse to become a knight, but these could also be granted by the sponsoring lord. However, the sword was more important in the ceremony that made an aspirant a knight. However, he might not even make it that far if he didn't have the means to supply himself with the whole knightly panoply (including armour).

However, I still believe that standing vigil over armour was not a necessary part of the knighting ceremony, but it was often a part of it. A squire could be made a knight with just the girding of the sword and the colee (like William Marshal's knighting), or even just the colee when it was a battlefield knighting.

Of course, you would never get to be knighted on the battlefield if you didn't have a knight's armour! Big Grin Wink

All of this has very little to do with the question "why straight and not curved swords in western Europe".

Maybe we should start "knighting ceremonies" in a separate thread!

Oh well, I've typed enough for today!

Stay safe!

Prince Andrew of Armar
George Hill

PostPosted: Thu 12 Oct, 2006 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Samurai Myths         Reply with quote

Steven H wrote:

Superiority of the Curved Edge
As Angus Trim already described, when cutting a curved target, a curved sword is a minute improvement in terms of force per area. Additionally, plenty of modern cutting demos have shown that straight bladed swords can consistently cleave all the way to the bone. Wisby and Towton provide even more evidence of straight swords cutting all the way to the bone and even through it. I don't what more can be expected that cutting to the bone. I don't see a compelling reason to need to cut deeper. The limb in question would be rendered useless, blood loss would be catastrophic and the medicine of the era poorly set-up to treat such a wound.

Steven, with respect, I am brought to understand that the evidence from many of these wounds is not 'to the bone' but through it, and to the other side of the leg. All the evidence I have aquired is that bones are nothing in the path of a sharp sword, straight or curved.

Also, George Silver, a noted fan of the broadsword carried in a basket hilt, wrote:

But the blow being strongly made, takes sometimes clean away the hand from the arm, [as] has many times been seen. Again, a full blow upon the head or face with a short sharp sword, is most commonly death. A full blow upon the neck, shoulder, arm, or leg, endangers life, cuts off the veins, muscles, and sinews, perishes the bones: these wounds made by the blow, in respect of perfect healing, are the loss of limbs, or maims incurable forever.

Richard, I'd take it a step further then above actually. Although I have no doubt the sword was an important symbol, I would say that the armor and horse were the most important 'tools,' And to another Knight on the field of battle, it's your tools rather then your symbol's he's looking at... so in a way, your tools become your job, and the job of a (proper) Knight was to be armored, rather then to be a swordsman.... And I beleive this was recognised back in the day. OF course, I strongly suspect you have better refernce books then I do! (So if you pin me, you'll win, but I'm enjoying the debate a good deal.)

Remember the old story about the Bruce using an axe rather then a sword?

Another thread on Knighting Cerimonies would be most interisting.

Greg Thomas Obach
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 13 Oct, 2006 5:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

http://www.shinkendo.com/kabuto.html

looks like the sword can cut through armor....... thank you for that link...

very interesting post...

thank you
Greg
George Hill

PostPosted: Fri 13 Oct, 2006 8:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greg Thomas Obach wrote:

Greg, that's an antique helmet at waist level, hit by a modern sword with tremendous windup. Obata was trying to prove that modern swords are well made, not that armor was cut in battles.

Richard Fay

PostPosted: Fri 13 Oct, 2006 8:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello all!

George Hill wrote:

Richard, I'd take it a step further then above actually. Although I have no doubt the sword was an important symbol, I would say that the armor and horse were the most important 'tools,' And to another Knight on the field of battle, it's your tools rather then your symbol's he's looking at... so in a way, your tools become your job, and the job of a (proper) Knight was to be armored, rather then to be a swordsman.... And I beleive this was recognised back in the day. OF course, I strongly suspect you have better refernce books then I do! (So if you pin me, you'll win, but I'm enjoying the debate a good deal.)

Hi George! Happy
Yes, I probably do have more reference books than you do. I'm not sure I would say all are necessarily better, but I do have a tendency to read rather dry, somewhat academic tomes about chivalry and knighthood. It's a passion of mine.

Feel free to take a peek at my reading list sometime. I have begun to give some helpful comments, but it's a long process for 247 books.

If your interested in the ceremonies surrounding knighthood, there are a few books I can recommend. Knights by Andrew Hopkins is a good starting point. It contains a lot of references to chivalric literature as well as an overview of knights in history. Frances Gies, one of the foremost popular medieval historians of our time, wrote a good synthesis of knightly scholarship called The Knight in History. I quoted a few passages from her work in my previous posts because it's quite accessible. If you would care for something a bit more cerebral, anything by Richard Barber (Tournaments, co-authored with Juliet Barker, The Knight and Chivalry, The Reign of Chivalry) is a good reference for the ideas and ceremonies of chivalry. If you're brave, Chivalry by Maurice Keen is an excellent resource, but a heavy read. Most of the books I listed discuss the ceremony of dubbing, as well as chivalry and tournaments.

Some of the individual biographies can also be good resources. Anyone interested in knights and chivalry should read a biography of William Marshal, perhaps the greatest knight of all time. He certainly had an interesting life. I liked Sidney Painter's William Marshal: Knight-Errant, Baron, and Regent of England. The title alone says it all about this man's amazing career!

Now, to get back to the symbolism of the sword and the practicality of owning armour. I think I already mentioned that I agree with you that a knight needed armour and horse to fight as a knight. Of course, not every mounted armoured warrior was of knightly rank. The term man-at-arms could be used as a more general term, applying to those of knightly rank as well as those without the noble title. A man-at-arms certainly fought in armour on a warhorse. His armour might not be as fancy as his lords, and he might ride a courser or charger instead of a destrier, but he was still an armoured, mounted warrior. Then you have mercenaries like the Free Companies. Many of them fought mounted and armoured, but they weren't all necessarily knights.

Yes, The Bruce split Henry De Bohun's skull with a blow from his axe that also shattered the haft, but I bet he wore a sword at his side! In Ronald McNair's Robert the Bruce: King of Scots, the author describes an encounter between The Bruce and a father and two sons from the MacIndrosser clan. One son tried to grab the bridle of Bruce's horse, but Robert cut off the lad's arm and shoulder with a stroke from his sword. After Bruce dragged the other son when he tried to stop the king, the father leapt on to the horse's crupper and grabbed Bruce's cloak. Bruce couldn't use his blade, so he split the man's skull with the pommel of his sword, then cut down the son whose hand was trapped in his stirrup. The book gives other examples of Bruce's amazing sword play, but I found this one at a glance. The Bruce was one of the greatest knights of his time, and he was proficient with a wide variety of weapons, not just the axe.

Actually, Bruce was on a grey palfrey on the first day of the Battle of Bannockburn, acting as king and commander, not knightly warrior. He probably would have met De Bohun's charge with couched lance had he been more heavily equipped.

To conclude, yes the more important tools to the knight on the battlefield were his horse, armour, and a variety of weapons, not necessarily the sword. However, the sword did hold the premier symbolic place in a knight's heart. It was the sword, not the axe, mace, or hammer, that was most often used in the knighting ceremony. The girding on of the sword was an important, but not always vital, part of the dubbing ceremony. Some knighting ceremonies didn't have the vigil over the armour, but still had the girding of the sword. It seemed that typically only battlefield dubbings lacked the girding on of the sword.

It was also the sword that knights most often chose to be portrayed with on their monumental brasses and effigies. They were also sometimes buried with their swords. Armour and horse were needed to function as a knight on the battlefield, but the sword continued to function as a symbol. I think that says something about the importance knights placed on possession of a sword, and might help explain why it continued for so long in the form it did. Just the fact that it wasn't the most important tool, but was perhaps the most important symbol, speaks volumes about a knight's attitude toward his sword!

I hope this clarifies my position! I think I've said quite enough, don't you? Wink

Stay safe!

Prince Andrew of Armar
Greg Coffman

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Fri 13 Oct, 2006 11:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
Why I like straight-bladed swords. You can attack with both edges. This frequently shows up in the Lichtenauer I'm studying.

This is an extremely important argument. Not all straight swords are double-edged; just because a sword has only edge does not mean that it has to be curved. However the only double-edged swords that I have ever heard of are straight. This is a "form follows function argument," however the function in question is not cutting ability but how the weapon handles and which techniques can be employed.

Appreciation for the cutting ability of a sword or sword design should flow from a foundation of test cutting. It is necessary to test cut any two different designs in order to compare their abilities in the cut. Of course historically, any blade that did not perform effectively would not have made it onto the battlefield and we would not have record of it today. That said, not all blades were meant to be cutters and a "give and take" exists when comparing the thrust verses the cut.

If we take it as granted that any sword designs which we today have historic record of, then it stands to reason that those swords were proven effective in their historic use. Furthermore, since we have record of a plethora of sword design present in any particular period of time and in any particular area, it also stands to reason that there were many sword designs were viewed and proven to be effective in their context.

The cutting ability of any particular sword is a function of its blade geometry. Swords with one edge may have very different cross-sections with double-edged blades. The messer and falchion, for example, posses a thin cutting edge and a thick false edge for strength. Double-edged swords acquire their strength from their central spine and so generally do not have as acute an edge as messers or falchions. (Hollow-ground blades enable double-edge swords to posses both thin edges and stiff spines) With my limited experience with katanas, I view their edge geometry as lenticular and therefore comparable with Oakeshott type X through XIV, the very swords Oakshott descirbes to be principally cutters. From this perspective it makes sense for katanas to be known as exceptional cutting swords though not necessarily better than the comparable medieval swords.

Regarding the draw cut or slice; test cutting has shown that blades of all shapes and sizes struggle to cut through even layers of normal cloth. This is easy to demonstrate. Lay an old sock or comparable cloth upon a cutting board and try to slice into it with even a modern knife and see what happens.
A. Jake Storey II

PostPosted: Fri 13 Oct, 2006 11:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I looked at some info to see where I might have gone wrong. A lot of my info came from a Sense of a Martial Art style developed in Japan for the Samurai. I can't remember the name of the style anymore (its one of those ones with a name you could wright on your entire arm! J/K), but it is rare to find it outside Japan.The thing about this style is that it was not typical to the Samurai, most things they did were very deferent. For instance: they did not train with kata, but in a manor to complex to get into here. They typically used a short Katana (I believe these were often called Chiisa-Katana.) and were described as preferring light armor. The sense told me that it was made from leather, bamboo, and some steel or iron. I’m not sure if the bamboo was constructed in a specific way or what, but they were more of a just don’t get hit type then trusting in armor. I think I should remember these were the exception, not the rule.

Also, my reference to Katanas cutting through steel was more concerning mail and scale armor then plate! Most of my armor interest predate most plate armor.

Florian H.

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Fri 13 Oct, 2006 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re.: Why straight?         Reply with quote

Hello everybody!

Couldn't the shape of a katana have something to with the aesthetic preferences of japanese culture? If you look at feudal japanese houses, castles, etc... you can recognize similar curved elements.
Well, on japanese armor, have a look on this page. The author states that "Japanese Armor has never been made of wood or bamboo". http://www.sengokudaimyo.com/

And on katanas cutting maille, have a look at the video on the left second row where one tries to cut a tatami mat protected by maille. The difference between protected and unprotected is pretty astounding. It makes clear why our ancastors wore this stuff. Happy http://www.thearma.com/Videos/NTCvids/testing...erials.htm

And one last thing. The german word "Messer" has no plural. It' one Messer and many Messer. Happy
Don't want to annoy someone. Just because I read that several times here and thought you propably don't know.

Best regards, Florian.
Steven H

PostPosted: Fri 13 Oct, 2006 12:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A. Jake Storey II wrote:

Also, my reference to Katanas cutting through steel was more concerning mail and scale armor then plate! Most of my armor interest predate most plate armor.

Maille is cut proof. Even to the best of cutting swords. Mail is used today in butcher shops because a modern butcher knife can't cut it. Mail is used in shark research because sharks can't bite through mail armor.

This thread on Sword Forum is the description of one persons tests of swords and arrows versus maille. He used accurate reproduction maille and sword. With slashes he was only able to scratch the links. No dents, deformations or penetration.

And Samurai used very little maille. It was used primarily to link plate pieces together. So if a Samurai wanted to cut (as opposed to thrust) through an armoured opponent he'd need to be able to get through plates of steel (plate or scale/lamellar), the majority of the time.
Steven H

PostPosted: Fri 13 Oct, 2006 12:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greg Thomas Obach wrote:

very interesting post...

thank you
Greg

Yes, he cut the helmet. But not deep enough to even cut the hair on the head of the person wearing the helmet. The damage the wearer of the helmet recieved would be entirely blunt trauma type damage. (severe damage, but still not a cut)

And the purpose of kabuto-wari is to prove the quality of the blade. There was no expectation that under battle-field conditions armor would be cut by swords.
A. Jake Storey II

PostPosted: Fri 13 Oct, 2006 1:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

To say that you can’t cu through mail is foolish. This test was done by an average modern swordsman (he said this twice)! This is an important note because the best modern swordsman is most likely only a little above an average trained Knight. And then there is the issue of strength, there is no question as to whether or not the warriors of old were stronger then us. They were! Now this doesn’t mean that they can be cut through as if they weren’t there, merely that it’s not as easy as it looks. There is a difference between a 10 knife and a 40 inch sword (I suggest you review the laws of circular motion and force). Again I’m not saying it was easy to cut through mail, just that you statement of “you can’t cut mail” is not completely true. If a sword couldn’t cut through mail then the sword would have been replaced with the mace or some other crushing weapon.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Why straight?
Page 3 of 5 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: