Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Argh! Advice needed! Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Eric Gerry

PostPosted: Sun 11 Jan, 2004 2:33 pm    Post subject: Argh! Advice needed!         Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

I just got my G.G. Godwin baldric to go with my new Scottish Court Sword, but alas, things haven't panned out as I expected. The throat of the sword scabbard has a button-shaped attachment that's supposed to go through the slit in the belt's frog, but as I was attempting to force it through, the button broke off (I should have known...). So, next I tried using an adhesive (first Goop, then Krazy Glue), to attach the button while the scabbard is in the frog (note that I could only mount it this way after having broken the button). Naturally, this didn't work either. So now I'm stuck with a broken scabbard and a baldric whose frog has been tampered with plenty while trying to mount the scabbard, which probably means I can't return it. Any ideas on what I should next? Any help would be really appreciated.
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Sun 11 Jan, 2004 5:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Assuming that the scabbard button is metal and was attached to a metal throat, all might not be lost.

You would first have to remove the throat from the scabbard, then you could use a low temperature silver (mostly tin) solder to put the button back on.

You could also (semi)permanantly attach the scabbard to the frog with a good contact adhesive. This seems to be the route you are already headed but need a stronger bond.

You might be able to clean the adhesive off the baldric and return it.

Best of luck

GC
Eric McHugh
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 11 Jan, 2004 5:56 pm    Post subject: Return it         Reply with quote

In my opinion, any damage that resulted occurred as a result of poor workmanship. If you were trying to do something that was totally incorrect, I would say you shouldn't return it, but all you tried to do was use the thing in a the correct manner. Too many fittings are made from pot metal and low temp solder. When we make fittings for frogs, they are either brazed on or welded, but you have to use real metal to do that.

Again my advice is to return it. You shouldn't have to put up with that crap!

Hope things turn out okay.

Find me on Facebook, or check out my blog. Contact me at eric@crownforge.net or ericmycue374@comcast.net if you want to talk about a commission or discuss an available piece.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sun 11 Jan, 2004 6:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I agree with Eric. Your first step is to contact the maker.
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Stephen A. Fisher

PostPosted: Sun 11 Jan, 2004 6:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Eric,

I also agree with Eric & Nathan. Send CAS Iberia an email explaining the problem, or give them a call. Here is the website.

http://www.casiberia.com/
Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Sun 11 Jan, 2004 7:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I agree with the others ..... see about an exchange , can't hurt to try !

One thing to bear in mind , concerning the Goodwin baldric, is that the leather is very stiff, and the slit may need to be slightly enlarged to accomodate ( easily ) a scabbard button,or hook !
You really need to flex the leather about and get the slit to open easier ( I had to cut mine a tad) .

I know David White used alot of oil on his Goodwin to soften up the leather and make it more plyable / comfortable !

Good luck, Mac

'Gott Bewahr Die Oprechte Schotten'
XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Mon 12 Jan, 2004 1:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

"Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play?" ;-/

Seriously, if the vendor won't let you return it, I recommend JB Weld epoxy. I've used it to stabilize two hilts and found it to be exceptionally strong stuff. In fact, assuming that vendor allows return and will ship you another one with the same construction flaw, you might be better off to stick with the (improved) devil you know.... I guess much depends on the surface area of the attachment point, though.

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Eric Gerry

PostPosted: Tue 13 Jan, 2004 7:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean Flynt wrote:
"Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play?" ;-/

Seriously, if the vendor won't let you return it, I recommend JB Weld epoxy. I've used it to stabilize two hilts and found it to be exceptionally strong stuff. In fact, assuming that vendor allows return and will ship you another one with the same construction flaw, you might be better off to stick with the (improved) devil you know.... I guess much depends on the surface area of the attachment point, though.

I think I'll try that. I hate having to part with a sword, even for a little while! And I'll definately have to oil the baldric; it tends to press into my neck in an annoying way when I lunge! Laughing Out Loud

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys!
Eric Gerry

PostPosted: Wed 14 Jan, 2004 5:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

For crying out loud! Now the wire wrap is starting to come loose! This thing is definately going back from whence it came. I knew I should've gotten that CS baskethilt instead.... Mad

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Argh! Advice needed!
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic