Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Sword Testing and Reviews for under $300 swords. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Fri 13 Oct, 2006 12:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The grip on my lowlander isn't hollow. The pommel is a hollow sphear consisting of two hemispheres overlapping at a seam and secured by a pommel nut--a feature not uncommon historically.
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Bob Burns

Reading list: 112 books

PostPosted: Sat 21 Oct, 2006 1:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Laughing Out Loud OK Exclamation I went and picked up my new Lowlander Friday 10/20/2006 and it's still fine! Laughing Out Loud I will not be hitting any wooden targets with it! Idea

There were two of them in stock so I had the opportunity to take a look at the tangs on both of them and there is no uniformity to the dimensions of the width of the tangs. Also, the tang is welded in two places, one is precisely where my first Lowlander broke, approximately 3 inches above the beginning of the blade and the second is up at the top near the pommel end where the "screw on" for the pommel nut is welded on.

For as decent as the blade looks on the Paul Chen Hanwei Lowlander Two Handed Great Sword, the tang is a far cry towards the poor end in quality in comparison. In my opinion personally, I think it's really sad that a company who spends the time and money to put a decent blade, crossguard, not a bad grip and an OK pommel, on a sword, would do such a shoddy job on they're tang work. But I'm sorry, the tang work in comparison to everything else on this sword is downright "shoddy" and "shameful" in quality!

Too bad, because if Paul Chen Hanwei just spent that little bit extra on getting a decent tang done on this sword, it would be a pretty darn good sword for the money!

Sincerely,

Bob
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sat 21 Oct, 2006 2:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bob Burns wrote:
Laughing Out Loud OK Exclamation I went and picked up my new Lowlander Friday 10/20/2006 and it's still fine! Laughing Out Loud I will not be hitting any wooden targets with it! Idea

There were two of them in stock so I had the opportunity to take a look at the tangs on both of them and there is no uniformity to the dimensions of the width of the tangs. Also, the tang is welded in two places, one is precisely where my first Lowlander broke, approximately 3 inches above the beginning of the blade and the second is up at the top near the pommel end where the "screw on" for the pommel nut is welded on. Bob

I wonder if this is practical or even cost effective and more importantly could it make an iffy tang into a robust one: The idea being to cut away the lousy tang and weld a new and overbuilt tang for a new handle assembly maybe using the original pommel or having a new one hot peened in place.

The weld would have to be as strong or stronger than the original tang if it had been well designed. Either the blade could be kept cool so as to not loose it's heat treatment or the whole sword re-heat treated.

Some sort of electric welding maybe ? I don't know enough about welding methods available to say if this makes sense.

May be too much time and money spent and one can be happy with it as is if it is seen only as a nice display piece. Wink Laughing Out Loud

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Bob Burns

PostPosted: Sat 21 Oct, 2006 6:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Jean, well of the two Lowlanders in stock over at Kult of Athena, I bought the better of the two and it was a very clean weld. Also, what I did was I held the sword naked of it's grip, crossguard, pommel, etc., just the sword with it's welded on shoddy tang and purposely wobbled the sword holding it by the bare tang so that the flat of the blade was horizontal to the floor. I did this several times and turned it over 180 degrees and wobbled it some more and saw no stress distress at the weld sight.

I would sure welcome advice from others on how I can cut down the blade of my broken Lowlander to make a nice thick strong tang out of it! I have numerous tools, lots of power tools for working with wood, high quality tools, stuff like Bosch, Porter Cable, like my swords I am picky about my tools too! Laughing Out Loud The few power tools that I do have for working with steel are a Bosch Jigsaw, a DeWalt 8 inch extra heavy duty bench grinder. But what would I need to cut this tempered 5160 blade steel down with in order to make a tang?

Any help of any kind is most welcome, I am only a novice beginning my second year of total bliss and obsession in the world of European replica sword collecting.

Is there any such thing as too many swords?

Bob
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Sat 21 Oct, 2006 7:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bob Burns wrote:
I would sure welcome advice from others on how I can cut down the blade of my broken Lowlander to make a nice thick strong tang out of it! I have numerous tools, lots of power tools for working with wood, high quality tools, stuff like Bosch, Porter Cable, like my swords I am picky about my tools too! Laughing Out Loud The few power tools that I do have for working with steel are a Bosch Jigsaw, a DeWalt 8 inch extra heavy duty bench grinder. But what would I need to cut this tempered 5160 blade steel down with in order to make a tang?

Any help of any kind is most welcome, I am only a novice beginning my second year of total bliss and obsession in the world of European replica sword collecting.

Is there any such thing as too many swords?

Bob

Well, my first choice would be a dremel using a cutting wheel or stacked cutting wheels: It will cut through hardened steel like it was butter. Be careful it might cut too fast and because cutting wheels are fragile any side pressure trying to cut in a curve will shatter the cutting wheel. Hand guiding the cutting wheel is also tricky: The thing is to not try to cut deep, the trick is to cut a strait but very shallow groove the full length on where you want to cut. Once a strait groove has been achieved it become just a question of staying in the groove for deeper and deeper passes that will eventually cut through the entire blade thickness leaving a tang. The blade can be wrapped in wet towels and will not heat up much except close to the cut. Cooling between cut passes is also a good idea. Slow and steady: No rushing or excessive pressure on the cutting wheel.

I would first drill two holes where the tang should radius at the " new " shoulders of the blade: This done you will have a lateral and a longitudinal cut to do on each side of the tang taking care to not nick into the blade past the radius.
A lot of control needed to not overshoot the cut into the part of the shoulder that will be the start of the blade: Nicks here would be as bad as having square corners on your new tang. Very slight nicks could be files off using a diamond hone.

Might not be a bad idea to make the tang just a bit wider than needed using the dremel and it could be refined by hand or on a grinding wheel.

Practice on a piece of scrap mild steel first, maybe, just to see how easy or hard you find it controlling your cutting strokes: The dremel will tend to try and get away from you and if you create multiple tracks it will be harder to always be making the same grove deeper.

I am not an expert at this but I have done similar stuff with a dremel before and can at least tell you what to watch for.

Or, you might be able to do it all with your bench grinder very slowly and stopping to cool the steel so that it doesn't overheat. ( wrapping the blade in a wet towel is again a good idea. ) You will use up more belts this way than if you can cut away excess material but you might also have more control and less chance of making mistakes.

Oh, and it might be a good idea to tape the edges of the blade if it has any sharpness at all as a safety precaution.

Hope this helps.

John Cooksey

PostPosted: Sat 21 Oct, 2006 7:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Vassilis,

I like your idea of the tire pell very much.
Back on the farm, I used to have both a swinging tire pell and a wooden post. I used hickory or oak wasters when practising with the tire, and both cheap steel and wood when working with the post.
My post was black locust wood, which is very hard and strong. It lasted a great number of years before chipping and weathering made it useless.
We also had black walnuts, which made great aerial targets when the husk was still on. I only used wood or cheap steel on these, as the highly acidic juice was terrible for steel. But it was great fun to toss a golf-ball sized walnut up in the air, or have someone else do it, and slice it in half! Really gave you a feel for how your hand-eye coordination was improving.

I didn't surrender, but they took my horse and made him surrender.
Bob Burns

PostPosted: Sat 21 Oct, 2006 12:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean, thank you yet once again for your help! Sir you have solved my problem! While I do not have a Dremel, I do have a Rotozip, in fact I have a higher end model from the Rotozip company and I am a whole mile from Home Depot! Laughing Out Loud
So really all I need to do is make myself a template or whatever and clamp it, or a straight edge and clamp it, and I have umpteen clamps of every shape and size. Thankfully, I do not need to run out and buy tools, this obsession was for the most part conquered some years ago back in my cabinet making days. When once upon through those years I went tool nutzoid Laughing Out Loud ! In fact at one point Gayle told me if she saw one more tool come in the house that " *# *@* $*%@^^ %**@**^^$^#^&&*#!" Well you get the idea! Laughing Out Loud Eek!

Thanks again Jean!

Bob
Angus Trim

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 21 Oct, 2006 4:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bob Burns wrote:
Jean, thank you yet once again for your help! Sir you have solved my problem! While I do not have a Dremel, I do have a Rotozip, in fact I have a higher end model from the Rotozip company and I am a whole mile from Home Depot! Laughing Out Loud
So really all I need to do is make myself a template or whatever and clamp it, or a straight edge and clamp it, and I have umpteen clamps of every shape and size. Thankfully, I do not need to run out and buy tools, this obsession was for the most part conquered some years ago back in my cabinet making days. When once upon through those years I went tool nutzoid Laughing Out Loud ! In fact at one point Gayle told me if she saw one more tool come in the house that " *# *@* $*%@^^ %**@**^^$^#^&&*#!" Well you get the idea! Laughing Out Loud Eek!

Thanks again Jean!

Bob

Set your workspace up for this for the long haul........

A long time ago {though here in this space}, I had this Phillipine made Conan Sword with a broken handle. We're talking a long time ago...........

Anyways, I didn't have the neato grinders I do now, I had hand deburring tools and a dead bench grinder. I took the dead sword apart, cut the tang shorter, made much of the ricasso the new tang. and since the blade had no distal taper, made with the distal taper. Using the hand tools, and only the spare time I could create, it took nearly a month to cut, grind, file, etc a basically new sword blade out of that. That was my first attempt....... years later I make swords........

So have fun Bob, and watch out, 'lest you get bit by the bug...........

Auld Dawg

swords are fun
Bob Burns

PostPosted: Sat 21 Oct, 2006 5:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Angus Sir, how very nice of you to take the time to help with this! And let me say I have admired your swords for a very long time, you are a very talented swordsmith Sir! Very nice Swords!

Thank You very much!

Bob
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Sat 21 Oct, 2006 8:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bob Burns wrote:
Thankfully, I do not need to run out and buy tools, this obsession was for the most part conquered some years ago back in my cabinet making days. When once upon through those years I went tool nutzoid Laughing Out Loud ! In fact at one point Gayle told me if she saw one more tool come in the house that " *# *@* $*%@^^ %**@**^^$^#^&&*#!" Well you get the idea! Laughing Out Loud Eek!

Thanks again Jean!

Bob

Why does this NOT surprise me. Razz Eek! Laughing Out Loud ( " I went tool nutzoid " ) I think I see a pattern here. Wink

Glad that my suggestions helped: Keep in mind that although I worked out what would/could work I never did enough projects way back then to find all the tricks to make the job easier to control i.e. I did it all freehand with no guides to keep the cutting passes under precise control.

A long long time ago in art school ( 1974 - 77 ) I made a leaf shaped short sword and cut complex fullers using a handheld disk grinder edgewise: Think same thing as with a dremel but bigger ! Worked to a fashion but my fullers did wander a bit and symmetry on each side of the blade was so -so at best. Well it did have that Medieval lack of concern for geometric perfection perfected. Razz Laughing Out Loud

Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Sat 21 Oct, 2006 8:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bob;

You should also consider what kind of sword you would like to make with it that would be convincing with the blade style.

One possibility might be a Roman Spatha: With your wood working skills you should be able to make a really nice one using a very attractive wood. Some brass or even better brass plate could be added inleted into the wood at the front.

Then you could go nuts making a scabbard with bronze fittings ?

Or maybe an early iron age sword of another type grip using mostly wood like the spatha ?

The good thing is that working on your own sword project could keep your mind off the waiting for other swords you have on order or are thinking about: Make easier to wait and the design and making should be fun. ( Slow and patient with good research and planning. Big Grin )

Angus Trim

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 21 Oct, 2006 9:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bob Burns wrote:
Angus Sir, how very nice of you to take the time to help with this! And let me say I have admired your swords for a very long time, you are a very talented swordsmith Sir! Very nice Swords!

Thank You very much!

Bob

Hi Bob

Just Gus please......

And thanks......

I used to be in your shoes, a collector that couldn't wait 'til the next box showed up...... But I will tell you that the hobby took on another level when I started working the steel of that dead blade. When you're using under powered tools by today's standards, it takes time to move the metal you want, and you develop a whole new appreciation for this.........

And if you like tools, and working with your hands, you're going to enjoy this...........

swords are fun
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Sun 22 Oct, 2006 7:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Angus Trim wrote:
Bob Burns wrote:
... how very nice of you to take the time to help with this! ....

... And if you like tools, and working with your hands, you're going to enjoy this...........

Remember, folks, you saw it here first! The birth of Bob Burns Blades Cool .

"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sun 22 Oct, 2006 8:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Folks,
We're straying off-topic here. Let's get back on. Thanks!

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Julian Arellano

PostPosted: Sun 26 Nov, 2006 7:17 pm    Post subject: About the G2 swords , strongs combats and more ..         Reply with quote

Hi Julian. Yes I recommend the Lucerin. It is tough and stiff, deffinelty something you can take into combat. The tang is strong and it is peened to the pommol so it should hold together well. The handle with pommol is a full 10 inches so it will provide plenty of leverage.

Personaly I prefer the new G2 black prince. The blade is identical is shape and about 2 inches longer. The handle is about 2 inches shorter. You give up some leverage but you won't need it on a blade this light and balanced. The shorter handle also means less stress on the tang. The handle on the black prince is also a bit thicker near the pommol.

Keep in mind that all weapons are perishable. They wear the more you use them just like a pencil or the brakes on your car. At the same time, an unused weapon is a useless weapon. That said, you should get some very good milage from either one of these two swords.

Vassilis

Julian Arella wrote:
Hi Vassilis , could you give me your opinion about the Lucerne sword , is it capable to be used in a hard combat ?? , is it the tang really strong ( 'cause I had some experience with the hanwei bastard sword the tang was skinny and well it broke in a combat ) , , I saw your tire- pell test , and wow !! I can't wait to buy my own lucerne sword , but yes . I need your opinion with those questions . Thanks and we' ll see you soon ..bye

T. E. Lawrence

“I came, I saw, God conquered"

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Sword Testing and Reviews for under $300 swords.
Page 3 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: