Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > flintlock pistol-good quality? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Garrett Hazen

PostPosted: Mon 02 Oct, 2006 8:42 pm    Post subject: flintlock pistol-good quality?         Reply with quote

i found this flintlock pistol at www.dixiegunworks.com, and i wonder if its good quality. "FH0320 Pedersoli Kentucky Flint Pistol Kit" is the name of it, but sorry, im bad with computers, i dont know how to make it a link to the site. maybe you could help me. it looks like a good deal, but i dont have much experience. what do you guys say?
i read that it did NOT come with instructions on how to build it. could you also help to know how to post links on these topics......

Learn to obey before you command--Solon of Athens

Last edited by Garrett Hazen on Mon 02 Oct, 2006 8:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Garrett Hazen

PostPosted: Mon 02 Oct, 2006 8:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

whoa! sweet! it worked! here is the link: http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?products_id=967
George Hill

PostPosted: Mon 02 Oct, 2006 9:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've never heard anything bad about that, and Dixie Gun works seems to have a good reputation, it's one of the larger companies of it's kind... But to me the pattern of many of the commonly available flintlocks are less interesting patterns.

If you are interested in others, they are available. Some of the more interesting ones I've seen when hunting around are these.

Here is a review of one of them from this site,
http://www.myArmoury.com/review_mvt_doglock.html

And here is the company itself.
http://www.middlesexvillagetrading.com/NEWpistol.shtml

Please note I have no direct experience with flintlocks of any kind, but somewhere on my list of things to get is a matching set of the sea service pistols from this company.

{Edit to add} Are you specifically interested in American pistols, (As Dixie gun works tends to favor American heritage pieces in general, though not exclusively...) or is your interest more general in flintlocks.... and pirates and whatnot?

To abandon your shield is the basest of crimes. - --Tacitus on Germania
Chris Last

Reading list: 8 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 03 Oct, 2006 7:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I own that particular pistol kit. I recieved it already assembled, but in my experience the folks at Dixie will be able to point you in the right direction for instructions if you ask when ordering.

I personally love the pistol. It fires very well, when I keep a good flint in it, and the lines are quite clean. I have never heard anything bad about pedersoli barrels. If you are looking for a good servicable pistol, that one's a good one.

" Hang fires are all fun and games untill someone gets their eye poked out... by charging calvary." - J.Shoemaker

Chris Last
GSM-Bristol
http://www.gsmbristol.org
James Holczer

Reading list: 10 books

PostPosted: Tue 03 Oct, 2006 8:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dixie Gun Works has been around for at least 50 years and I’ve never heard anything bad about them. I know that over the years my father had own several black powder replica imports purchased through Dixie and although most ended up as wall hangers he was pretty satisfied with all of them.

As far as Pedersoli goes, they’re an Italian outfit and to my knowledge, they have been producing and importing black powder replicas into the US since around the late 1960s. Most of what I have seen of they’re work of late has been pretty damn decent. If Dixie cannot help you with obtaining directions you could try contacting Pedersoli directly.

http://www.davide-pedersoli.com/default.aspx?lang=en

Jim Holczer
Student – Umbs School of Fence/Martinez Academy of Arms
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Tue 03 Oct, 2006 10:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That pistol is a decent buy in either kit or assembled form. Years ago I was heavily into blackpowder shooting and have owned many Pedersoli firearms. I still own a Pedersoli .50 cal. full-stock flintlock rifle that I shoot on occasion. Their barrels are of good quality and that particular rifle is one of the most accurate firearms I own. In terms of this type of firearm Pedersoli offers the best quality without going to a custom piece.
Garrett Hazen

PostPosted: Tue 03 Oct, 2006 9:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

oh, thats good, now the only thing is, im looking for a "pirate" essence to the gun, along with the sword i am looking for, and so would anyone say that gun i am looking at is piratey enough? or do you have better suggestions for the sort. and if not, how are you supposed to make a custom order for a gun? can you do it through dixie gun works?
George Hill

PostPosted: Tue 03 Oct, 2006 11:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Garrett, I would say it is NOT piratey enough, and wuld recommend this pistol instead.

http://www.middlesexvillagetrading.com/NEWess1756.shtml

It's a Sea service pistol. What could be more piratey then a sea service pistol?

Oh, and you need a pair if you can afford them. A 'brace' of pistols is more classical.

Shae Bishop

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Wed 04 Oct, 2006 3:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I agree that the Kentucky pistol is not very "piratey". If you are going for a late 17th-early 18th century impression, it's also significantly too late in period. Here are some other options, although I have no personal experience with the company.

A mid-late 17th century doglock
http://www.loyalistarms.freeservers.com/doglokpistl.html

An 18th century British dragoon
http://www.loyalistarms.freeservers.com/briti...n1730.html

An early 18th century French cavalry
http://www.loyalistarms.freeservers.com/1720'...istol.html

Shae
Garrett Hazen

PostPosted: Fri 06 Oct, 2006 3:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

yes i suppose you guys are right, thats why i was asking. the fact is, i kindof wanted the experience in building it, before i shot it. like a kit of some sort. i also agree that a brace of pistols is a lot more classical. i thought the same thing, nice add in there George. its says in Georges link that the pistol is the period of 1756. is that right?
George Hill

PostPosted: Fri 06 Oct, 2006 11:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Garrett, it's likely the right date, but don't take my word on it, I don't know flintlocks *espeically well.* I can follow the themes most of the time, but many of the little things escape me. Oh, one thing I do know is that classically speaking sea service flintlocks were made with less small parts to make them less likely to be damaged by the salt. I know a few other things, and I can recite most of Kipling's poem to the Brown Bess musket by heart, but that's about as much as I know. OK, I know quite a few things about Flintlocks.... but I'm still no expert.

Also, I have no opinion on the quality of any new made flintlocks. Ask the guys who know. I will when my interist and budget swing back to things that need ammuntion.

I must confess I like that dragoon pistol though.... Still, I think a sea service pistol of some kind is most piratey, but then you have the fact pirates loved pistols, and would get them anywhere they could, so any pistols from the era would likely have been used.

I remember a set of pirate articals which said something along the lines of " The man that spots a ship which we then take shall have the best pistol or sword aboard her." Really shows the pirate love of pistols. Pick the period, and then pick the pistols you like best.... or go with the sea service ones if you can't choose.

Shawn Henthorn

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Sat 07 Oct, 2006 6:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have one of their older model 1858 Remington revovlers...One of the sweetest cap and balls I have ever had.
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Sat 07 Oct, 2006 7:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Shawn Henthorn wrote:
I have one of their older model 1858 Remington revovlers...One of the sweetest cap and balls I have ever had.

Please clarify - one of whose older model 1858 Remington revolvers? Pedersoli?

"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Shawn Henthorn

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Sat 07 Oct, 2006 4:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sorry, Dixie Gun Works

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > flintlock pistol-good quality?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic