Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Yay, New toy for me! Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
James Byrnes

PostPosted: Wed 07 Jan, 2004 5:47 pm    Post subject: Yay, New toy for me!         Reply with quote

Just got this picture from Christian Fletcher. It is my customized 1520. I think it looks awesome, I am very excited! Hopefully next week I will have this baby in my possesion. Hope you enjoy the pic-JKB

Attachment: 77.47 KB
xviiib-long.JPG

"Farewell sweet friend, I was a thousand times more evil than thou. "

Rocky Mountain Historical Combat Guild
All Saints Blades
Ben Sweet

PostPosted: Wed 07 Jan, 2004 6:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

excellent looking sword....ya gotta post up some more pics when you get her...amazing job C.F has done!
Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Wed 07 Jan, 2004 7:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wonderful looking sword ! Christian certainly does nice work !

Congrats, James !

'Gott Bewahr Die Oprechte Schotten'
XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Wed 07 Jan, 2004 7:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nice. Can you tell us a bit more about it? Is the pommel faceted? Is it based on any historic originals?
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
James Byrnes

PostPosted: Wed 07 Jan, 2004 9:16 pm    Post subject: Well...         Reply with quote

the sword actually draws inspiration from 2 of my favorite pieces in Records of the Medieval Sword. XVII.6 was the overall inspiration, though it is a much larger sword, hence the faceted scent stopper( though I chose hexagonal instead of octagonal as the original had) and the down curve to the cross is inspired by XVII.1. The grip was inspired by using XVIIIa.5 ( though in later publications Mr. Oakeshott reclassifies it as a XVIIIb) as one possible example of grip covering for the aforementioned XVII.6. Secondary inspirations were all from modern pieces, notably Pavel Moc's Embelton.

The feel I wanted was a late 15th century langenswert, to accompany my upcoming harness. I think Christian did an OUTSTANDING job in capturing it! My sincerest thanks to him. I will do a more inclusive photo shoot once I receive it, as well as a hands on review.

Thank you very much for the kind words, I am understandably very excited. But the credit really goes to Christian for his excellent cutler work, and Gus for making such a wonderful piece for Christian to customize. Well done gents, both of ya!

James

All Saints Blades
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Thu 08 Jan, 2004 9:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Looks very nice.

I hope we get to see more pictures in the immediate future.

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
James Byrnes

PostPosted: Mon 19 Jan, 2004 5:13 pm    Post subject: New Picture         Reply with quote

Just got this picture today, sword is on its way to me, should be here Wednesday. Would any of you multi-media wiz types be able to clear up this picture?

Attachment: 74.69 KB
HPIM0414.jpg

All Saints Blades
J.G. Grubbs

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Mon 19 Jan, 2004 5:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Excellent looking sword you have there, James. Congrats on your new acquisition. Happy

Regards,

"The reputation of a thousand years may be determined by the conduct of one hour."
Samurai Proverb

James Grubbs
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Mon 19 Jan, 2004 5:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Can't wait to read your impressions and see more pictures.

The suspension looks interesting too, so make sure to get a few shots of it. Big Grin

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Randal Graham
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 19 Jan, 2004 6:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That's cool...I dig the hilt alot...
R.H.Graham
Swordsmith
Robert Busch

PostPosted: Mon 19 Jan, 2004 8:28 pm    Post subject: James, just gotta say it again....         Reply with quote

That sword is freakin' sweet! Yer gonna love it. I'm just starting to save for mine right now......hhmmnnn, it might be time for my Gothic ATrim to hit the classifieds. I really don't want to sell that one, but I've got to make room and raise funds for the 1520, and for the custom A&A that is in my near future.

P.S. my Durer arrived today, and she's an incredible blade, gotta hit the sack right now, but I'll post some on her tomorrow...

Bob
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 19 Jan, 2004 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: New Picture         Reply with quote

James Byrnes wrote:
Just got this picture today, sword is on its way to me, should be here Wednesday. Would any of you multi-media wiz types be able to clear up this picture?

Here's the same image opened up a bit.

Attachment: 18.27 KB
CF1520Byrnes01.jpg
Customized AT1520 by Christian Fletcher

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
James Byrnes

PostPosted: Mon 19 Jan, 2004 9:14 pm    Post subject: Cool         Reply with quote

Bob,

I have heard the durer is a damn fine sword! Congrats on your purchase!! I understand about getting rid of an old friend, but with the Durer in your stable, the 1531 Gothic is filling an almost identical niche in your collection. I am pretty psyched about how well the 1520 turned out, Wednesday can't come soon enough. Just out of curiosity, what is your custom A&A piece going to be? They have surely been turning out some nice custom work lately. Anyways, please post a review of the Durer, I have heard nothing but good about that blade, yet I still haven't seen a formal review.Peace buddy.

James

All Saints Blades
James Byrnes

PostPosted: Mon 19 Jan, 2004 9:18 pm    Post subject: Thanks Nathan         Reply with quote

Nathan,

Thanks for the pic clean up, looks much brighter and well defined! Didn't you have an article on sword photography somewhere? I am trying to remember where that was posted, I want to reference it so that when I do a formal review, I can use my new Digi-Cam to take some nice, clear photographs. Look for a review by the end of January.

James

All Saints Blades
Gary Venable

Reading list: 16 books

PostPosted: Tue 20 Jan, 2004 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: Thanks Nathan         Reply with quote

James Byrnes wrote:
Nathan,

Thanks for the pic clean up, looks much brighter and well defined! Didn't you have an article on sword photography somewhere? I am trying to remember where that was posted, I want to reference it so that when I do a formal review, I can use my new Digi-Cam to take some nice, clear photographs. Look for a review by the end of January.

I'm not Nathan but I think this is what you are thinking of: http://www.myArmoury.com/contribute/photoprep.html

Gary
Robert Busch

PostPosted: Tue 20 Jan, 2004 3:38 pm    Post subject: Hey James,         Reply with quote

Thanks, the Durer is a fantastic sword, A&A scores again! The only problem that I've had so far is finding time to do more than some cursory dry-handling Laughing Out Loud At the moment it is 27 degrees outside, but w/ windchill, it feels like 18 degrees, and dropping fast. So far, she's got that Seneschal/AT1520 ish feel to her, but the blade is stiffer than either. She is heavier, but she balances at 4 3/8", you can feel the blade out there, but she is not blade-heavy so to speak...

The custom piece that I talked to Craig about awhile back is based on Unclassified 9 in Oakeshott's Records, page 236. I've always admired the proportions of this sword. I studied the two photos for hours and hours before I called up A&A to see what they thought of it. What took me hours to discern only took Craig a minute or two of looking at his copy of records, he really is amazing, and a really cool guy to boot. Actually, everyone I've talked to at A&A is has been really knoweldgeable, and just really cool. You can tell that they all love what they are doing, and it really shows in their finished work.

Bob
Gary Grzybek

PostPosted: Tue 20 Jan, 2004 4:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That's an absolute beauty!

Eek! Big Grin

Gary Grzybek
ARMA Northern N.J.
www.armastudy.org
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Tue 20 Jan, 2004 7:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

James,
I love the faceted pommel. I'd thought of getting either Gus's German Longsword or the 1520 that Bob reviewed and having Christian Fletcher do something similar to it. I think you and I may have very similar tastes in longswords!

I just put money down on two of Albion's NGs, and have money going to other assorted sword funds, so I'll have to wait on such an arrangement... but your photo certainly doesn't help me act responsible.
Jason Elrod

Reading list: 38 books

PostPosted: Tue 20 Jan, 2004 7:48 pm    Post subject: German Longsword         Reply with quote

Hi James,

You know when you said that we seem to have the same tastes in swords. . . Christian just sent me my finished pics today. Looks like we even sent the swords to him at about the same time.
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Tue 20 Jan, 2004 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: German Longsword         Reply with quote

Jason Elrod wrote:
Hi James,

You know when you said that we seem to have the same tastes in swords. . . Christian just sent me my finished pics today. Looks like we even sent the swords to him at about the same time.

Jason,
Remember that I called first dibs for when you sell that for half its price. Seriously though, I can't wait to see it in the "flesh".

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Yay, New toy for me!
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: