Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > My new toy: Albion ML Tritiona Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next 
Vincent Le Chevalier

Reading list: 15 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 11 Aug, 2006 5:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
Since a sword of this type is designed to be used primarily in conjunction with a shield, wouldn't the shield itself naturally inhibit the ability to always stop the sword in front of the body? Perhaps the use of the shield as a defense would negate this requirment altogether?

I'd say it depends on the kind of shield...

With any big shield, I would hesitate committing into a such a strike that would leave my right side totally exposed, my sword pointing back, with no menace to the opponent and a lower protection from my shield since I'd probably move it away a little bit in order not to smash my own sword hand in it. With a buckler as in I.33, you could be able to still have protection by moving it over your sword arm, I guess. I never practiced with a buckler, though... When practicing with my round shield I try to finish my strikes with the body at a 45 degrees angle to the target, not fully in profile, in order to be able to use my shield. I still have to try cutting with a sword & shield...

With two-handed weapons things change, because you have a higher leverage to recover from your strike. I can't comment on longswords since I don't own any realistic ones, but I know that the recommandation in japanese swordfighting is to stop your strike as soon as possible. For example, when executing a downward strike on the head, one would try to stop the weapon at the level of the throat or sternum, no lower.

In general I found that such things are easier when using proper footwork. You'll have trouble to stop your weapon, especially on lateral strike, if you are not using your whole body. A tiny misplacement of your foot can affect your whole stance... As my teacher tells me from time to time : "I'm going to just nail your foot down if you don't stop moving it inwards" Happy

--
Vincent
Ensis Sub Caelo
R Smith

PostPosted: Fri 11 Aug, 2006 6:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Strikes from above in I.33 generally end in longpoint where you are ready for a quick thrust and where you have done a substantial amount of damage to the target area of the junction of head and body. This is also true in Ringeck and friends where a zornhau (downward strike from the right or left shoulder) ends in a position where a "zornort" or wrathful point (thrust to the face) can be used. This also leaves you in a position where you are still in control and not just responding to the next attack from your opponent (unless he is already "dead" Big Grin ). First strikes rarely end the fight unless someone messes up big time.
With that being said a strike that lands will probably not incapacitate an opponent straight away. Even with his head half off his sword may continue to move towards your head as the arms have not quite figured out that the fight is over. Wink In this case it is important to be in defensible position without pause or taking a further "fencing time" to get there.

"Those with wisdom loathe the one forced to defend." - Liechtenauer

Ars Gladii
Detroit, MI
Jeremy V. Krause

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Fri 11 Aug, 2006 8:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

What kind of shield would have been used with the Tritonia? I am thinking since it is a war sword some kind of heater or maybe a proto-heater with a rounded top. I would like to see more cutting done with a shield in hand. This is something I would do if I had any outside area.
Thanks,
Jeremy

added- I had to repair some typos- man I wish spell check worked for me when posting- folks probably think I'm in High School or something!

Last edited by Jeremy V. Krause on Fri 11 Aug, 2006 11:48 am; edited 2 times in total
Greg Griggs

PostPosted: Fri 11 Aug, 2006 9:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Good question, Jeremy. On a personal level, I feel that cutting exercises are completely different than doing things like I.33 forms. Believe me, if someone has never used a large, heavy, one-handed sword like the Tritonia to cut with, or even practice forms with, they can't experience how a predominately calvary based weapon reacts in the swing. These swords were made for carry-through as you rode amongst the enemy's ranks, and not for standing toe to toe. On the other hand, I am going to make an early-to-mid 13th C. flat top shield such as those shown being used by Templars and hospitallers, so that I can see what it would be like using sword(St. Maurice in my case) and shield together. Should be an interesting exercise, especially for an old man like myself, HA!
Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.
Jean Thibodeau

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Fri 11 Aug, 2006 9:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hmmmmmm: What feels nice and natural recovery doing figure eights with a sword may be giving an opponent really big
openings to take advantage of ? I say this with only superficial knowledge of actual use of sword or sword & shield.

I think I arrived at thinking that fluid transitions or redirecting momentum from " movie " Kung Fu soft forms that at least seem to redirect force " vectors " rather than hard stops. The problem with this is that after some reading and watching movies of real sparring with longswords is that I was totally unaware of all the easy ways a good swordsman would take advantage of wide arcs of motion leaving one exposed with no good and fast counter move.

Now, I don't know much more but I can see where the effective transitions from ward to ward are very economical in the range of movement i.e. Wide sweeping moves are usually not a good idea and should only be used for a 100% committed well timed attack.

Wide sweeping move may give more power to a cut I would guess, but are bad sword fighting if used habitually.

At least this is how I interpret the last few posts as I try to arrive at some valid theory. Wink Big Grin

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Nate C.

PostPosted: Fri 11 Aug, 2006 9:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I was under the impression that the Tritonia (and the SOSMT) were primarily Cavalry swords. This makes the recovery a little less important correct?

Cheers,

Nate C.

Sapere Aude
"If you are going to kill the man, at least give him a decent salute." - A. Blansitt

If they ever come up with a Swashbuckling School, I think one of the courses should be Laughing, then Jumping Off Something. --Jack Handy
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Fri 11 Aug, 2006 10:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nate C. wrote:
I was under the impression that the Tritonia (and the SOSMT) were primarily Cavalry swords. This makes the recovery a little less important correct?

Cheers,

Probably true but then one would have to fight on foot at times with a calvalry sword: Maybe this is where the use of a shield means that one would not be using a flury of blows but would rely more on commited blows and just right timing ???

Good question by the way ? And the above may not be the answer ?

Max von Bargen

Reading list: 10 books

PostPosted: Fri 11 Aug, 2006 11:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Most swords from the earlier periods probably would have been cavalry swords, since in Western Europe at least the only group as a whole that could usually afford swords would be knights.

When mounted, the recovery would probably be a little less important, but I would think that a knight would have to fight on foot frequently, for reasons that might not necessarily have been under his control. If he got unhorsed, or if his horse was injured on the day of battle, or if he got attacked on the streets, he might need to use a cavalry sword dismounted. Now it's possible that someone might have another, lighter sword for dismounted combat, and use that instead. That said, from the (albeit limited) sources I've read, they indicate that in combat, huge flurries of blows were not used very frequently if at all. The warriors would maneuver and try to obtain an opportunity for a single powerful killing or at least incapacitating blow. I might be wrong about this, but I think that the flurries of blows would be good for fun, but not great for accurate fighting.

Very nice sword, Alexi! I'd agree that the pictures on the website don't do the sword justice. For some reason, I find that true with several of their swords. I know that when I got my first Albion, even though I'd spent a considerable period of time examining the pictures of the sword, it ended up surprising me in many ways.
Geoff Wood

PostPosted: Fri 11 Aug, 2006 11:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Max von Bargen wrote:
That said, from the (albeit limited) sources I've read, they indicate that in combat, huge flurries of blows were not used very frequently if at all. The warriors would maneuver and try to obtain an opportunity for a single powerful killing or at least incapacitating blow. I might be wrong about this, but I think that the flurries of blows would be good for fun, but not great for accurate fighting.

Mr von Bargen
Someone, it may have been Elling, posted a while back some period instructions/advice to scandinavian warriors stating pretty much what you say here. Don't mess about fencing, save it for one hit, and make that count.
Geoff
Eric McHugh
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 11 Aug, 2006 11:31 am    Post subject: Love the Tritonia         Reply with quote

I LOVE the Tritonia. I own one...it's in my office near my drafting table...

I remember the day very clearly...it was fall 2002. Peter was arriving for his second visit. We went to the pub and threw down a burger and beers then we walked to Albion to unpack Peter's box of prototypes. It was the first three museum line swords: The Solingen, Brescia, and Tritonia. When we pulled the Tritonia out of the box, I remember thinking, "hmmm, I don't know if I like that sword!" Howy agreed. It is such a strange looking sword - almost something a fantasy artist would paint for a softcover book. We put it away. I fully intended to not give it another thought, but as it sat up in Howy's office, it began to call to me. It's brutish lines and somewhat clunky appearance began to soften and take on an almost graceful form. Another week passed, and I could not walk in the room without holding it. It was during week three that I gave over completely to its call, and now I own one. It is a beautiful sword, but more importantly it is awe inspiring!!!

The Tritonia is not for the faint of heart. It is not a fencing weapon, nor is it very agile. When one compares it to the Knight as far as speed and agility, there is no comparison: the Knight is much faster. BUT the Tritonia can deliver a cut that is almost unprecedented. The damage this blade can cause is horrific!!! It is hard to visualize from the pictures just how brutal this sword really is. In short, it is sublime!!!

It is a calvary sword. Its sole purpose is to allow a mounted knight to remove large pieces of some unfortunate foot-soldier. I've had the pleasure of seeing the original along side of Peter Johnsson's recreation. The original is very corroded, but even in its rusted condition, it is an impressive sword.

Well these are just some rambling from a member of the Tritonia Owner's Club (TOC). :-)

Find me on Facebook, or check out my blog. Contact me at eric@crownforge.net or ericmycue374@comcast.net if you want to talk about a commission or discuss an available piece.
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Fri 11 Aug, 2006 11:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:

Probably true but then one would have to fight on foot at times with a calvalry sword: Maybe this is where the use of a shield means that one would not be using a flury of blows but would rely more on commited blows and just right timing ???

Good question by the way ? And the above may not be the answer ?

That's a good point Jean and one I personally agree with. Everything I've read on the subject, from the viking age up through the medieval period, suggests that effective and decisive blows were looked for rather than a flurry of quick ones. I have yet to really get into the techniques of medieval swordplay, hopefully Greg and I can remedy that this winter. However, I have had a lot of experience with asian martial arts and competitive fencing. While these are certainly different disciplines (with one being an outright sport), I do feel the same theory applies. In both of these a flurry of sword play, or kicks, punches, etc., was hardly ever the norm. Most actions were concluded in one to perhaps three movements. Decisive action was the intent.

Greg has brought up a good point about the St. Maurice and I think it's one we need to remember. We tend to get too focused on the one-on-one or mano-a-mano aspect of the discipline. Most of these weapons, with the St. Maurice and the Tritonia being excellent examples, were designed and intended for the battlefield not the duel or the tourney. European swords come in an infinite variety of designs and if I was going to engage in single-combat neither the St. Maurice or the Tritonia would be my first choice. I think a sword capable of the quick recovery previously mentioned might be a better alternative. The Tritonia is a fine handling sword but nimble and quick it isn't and the St. Maurice is a monster. neither of these are quick but they would be incredibly decisive with a single blow. My Big Johnsson is a similar type. It doesn't quite approach the Tritonias mass but it's close. It's a quick sword but nothing when compared to the Kinght, etc. When you use it you mindset becomes, "Give me one good shot, that's all I need."

Because of the character of these swords (which really need to be handled to be properly judged) I think judging them according to the techniques of Lichtenauer or Silver may be something of a mistake. These are different designs than commonly seen in the replica market and are really beasts of a different color. I love them personally but that's probably due to my personality. Big Grin When Silver was outlining his techniques of swordsmanship I don't think he had a sword like the Tritonia in mind.
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Fri 11 Aug, 2006 11:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greg Griggs wrote:
On the other hand, I am going to make an early-to-mid 13th C. flat top shield such as those shown being used by Templars and hospitallers, so that I can see what it would be like using sword(St. Maurice in my case) and shield together. Should be an interesting exercise, especially for an old man like myself, HA!

I'm thinking we need to break out the kite shield during tommorows cutting session.
R Smith

PostPosted: Fri 11 Aug, 2006 12:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I was not referring to the sword play of Silver, but rather the four governers/true times i.e. the time of the hand is faster then the time of the arm; the time of the arm is faster then the time of the body; the time of the body is faster then the time of the foot. These are merely biomechanically sound principles that were outlined quite well by Silver but were certainly mentioned by others both before and after him.
On horseback I imagine it is a completely different set of rules but I would also think that over committment to a strike would yield a lost sword or a cut up horse with a straight blade especially.
So effective blows yielding good defence at the same time would be important across the board.

"Those with wisdom loathe the one forced to defend." - Liechtenauer

Ars Gladii
Detroit, MI
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Fri 11 Aug, 2006 12:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

R Smith wrote:
I was not referring to the sword play of Silver, but rather the four governers/true times i.e. the time of the hand is faster then the time of the arm; the time of the arm is faster then the time of the body; the time of the body is faster then the time of the foot. These are merely biomechanically sound principles that were outlined quite well by Silver but were certainly mentioned by others both before and after him.
On horseback I imagine it is a completely different set of rules but I would also think that over committment to a strike would yield a lost sword or a cut up horse with a straight blade especially.
So effective blows yielding good defence at the same time would be important across the board.

Thanks for clarifying and all good points. My own point is that, when judging what is considered proper recovery, we really should be taking into account the individual design elements of the different swords, where they were used, the intent of their design, etc. Swords like the Tritonia are outside the scope of what we commonly perceive in the medieval sword, even more so with the St. Maurice. A technique that is considered good recovery with a lighter sword may not be possible with these larger weapons simply due to their mass. I'm not arguing with you because I think your points are valid. I suppose what I'm saying is we need to do a lot more experimentation with swords like these before we draw conclusions on what is proper and improper, right and wrong, etc.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Fri 11 Aug, 2006 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Love the Tritonia         Reply with quote

Eric McHugh wrote:
It is a calvary sword. Its sole purpose is to allow a mounted knight to remove large pieces of some unfortunate foot-soldier. I've had the pleasure of seeing the original along side of Peter Johnsson's recreation. The original is very corroded, but even in its rusted condition, it is an impressive sword.

That was my impression of it as well. You, Patrick Kelly, and I spoke at length about this sword in New Glarus a few years back and the one thing you were quite sure of was the cavalry function. This is why the discussion of using it with a shield was odd to me. My question, though, relates to its inevitable use once unmounted: What is the likelihood that the soldier previously using it on horseback would actually have a shield for use on foot?

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 11 Aug, 2006 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Love the Tritonia         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:

That was my impression of it as well. You, Patrick Kelly, and I spoke at length about this sword in New Glarus a few years back and the one thing you were quite sure of was the cavalry function. This is why the discussion of using it with a shield was odd to me. My question, though, relates to its inevitable use once unmounted: What is the likelihood that the soldier previously using it on horseback would actually have a shield for use on foot?

A mounted soldier would still likely have a shield, it just spend most of its time on the other side of his horse's back from where the sword would large amounts most of its time. Happy

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Bob Burns

Reading list: 112 books

PostPosted: Fri 11 Aug, 2006 2:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

In my statement of letting one cut flow into the next cut, I was of course referring only to recreation cutting of jugs, etc.

In any martial art, armed or unarmed, whenever a strike has been made at that given second the striker is open to some extent and one would always want to keep their guard between themself and the opponent, whether it is a sword, fists, bo, or whatever. The second one forgets about their defense up against an accomplished opponent, they are going to find themselve's in a very unhappy situation.

I know the principles from my other endeavor but I do not "know" swordplay as I have never formally trained under anyone. Well, I know enough to get myself killed! Laughing Out Loud

Bob
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Fri 11 Aug, 2006 5:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The first thing I have to rip out of my brains are concepts that are vices in a real fight and are virtues in film or stage fighting: It's rare that a film fight doesn't involve an extended amount flailing away to make the fight seem more exciting or stretch out the scene to long minutes.

The few fights that seemed very fast, subtle and economical in movement that I remember are some of the fights in good
Samurai films staring Toshiro Mifune like " The 7 Samurai " as an example: The extremely fast and brief instant kills have a dramatic effect all their own, sometimes much more jaw dropping impressive than the long never ending sword fights in the
" Pirates of the Caribbean " films. ( Those are fun in a different way. Wink Razz )

If I want speed as well as scary sharp and pointy or for more of a defensive side arm when not in battle or in armour I would favour my Sovereign as a side sword for civilian wear.

I don't find the Tritonia particularly ponderous personally but the style of fighting would mean having to depend on timing and the use of the shield or mobility during recovery rather than using the sword parrying defensively.

Craig Peters

PostPosted: Fri 11 Aug, 2006 11:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:

Because of the character of these swords (which really need to be handled to be properly judged) I think judging them according to the techniques of Lichtenauer or Silver may be something of a mistake.

Patrick,

Certainly, one can argue reasonably that the handling of the Tritonia is significantly different from the weapons used by Liechtenauer and Silver. However, in the case of Liechtenauer's fencing, I'm not sure that his techniques are not applicable. Hanko Dobringer writes:

"For you should strike or thrust in the shortest and nearest way possible. For in this righteous fencing do not make wide or ungainly parries or fence in large movements by which people restrict themselves... But real fencing goes straight and is simple in all things without holding back or being restricted, just as if a string had been tied [to the point or edge of your sword, leading the point or edge to an opening] or as if they had been connected. When you strike or thrust at another in front of you, then no strikes or thrusts before or behind, nor besides or wide reaching movements or many strikes will help you if you hold back and lose the chance. Instead you must strike straight and direct to the man, to the head or the body whatever is closest and quickest. This must be done with speed and rather with one strike than with four or six which will again leave you hanging and giving the opponent a chance to hit you."

Granted, other sections from Dobringer may contain techniques which are not particularly useful to the Tritonia. But, in my opinion, the advice offered above is sound whether it's for a nimble long sword or a beast of a single hander.

http://www.thearma.org/Manuals/Dobringer_A5_sidebyside.pdf
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Sat 12 Aug, 2006 12:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Craig,

Agreed and a good citation. However, let me again emphasize exactly what I'm talking about so that we don't wind up with this horse chasing its own tail in an endless circle. Your citation is a good example of a general principle of swordsmanship. My experience with combative arts has been that they all share basic principles of movement , distance, timing, etc. Whether it be unarmed combat, swordsmanship, pistolcraft, CQB, whatever. These basic fundamentals apply to all of them. In that we are all in agreement. However, I'm not talking about general principles.

When I speak of the attempt to avoid misunderstanding these weapons through the need for further experimentation I'm talking about the finer points of their use. Example: I'm using sword A that weighs less than two pounds. I'm taught that the proper technique with single-handed sword A, in a downward strike, is to stop the swords motion at point X. I then begin using single-handed sword B that weighs in excess of three pounds. Given that objects in motion remain in motion dependent upon their mass, is it reasonable and/or accurate to expect me to stop sword B at point X, or because of the swords greater weight and mass, is it proper and correct to stop Sword B at point Y? Consequently, when we examine a photo of Alexi using the Tritonia are we correct in saying that he should halt the swords movement at a specific point, based on an assumption of what we know of other sword types, or do we need to do further study to determine the specfic handling characteristics of the type and thereby determine what is correct for it?

In regards to the Tritonia being used with a shield: In the era of its use the shield was still in widespread use as a battlefield implement. Whether ahorse or afoot a man would have used it with a shield.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > My new toy: Albion ML Tritiona
Page 2 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: