Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Thu 03 Aug, 2006 9:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

oh wow, i like that a lot.
..." The person who dosen't have a sword should sell his coat and buy one."

- Luke 22:36
Phill Lappin

PostPosted: Thu 03 Aug, 2006 11:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

So this is going to cast in steel correct? If so what level of detail can you get with csting steel, is it the same as copper and bronze?
IN NOMINE DOMINE
IN NOMINE CONVIVOR
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Fri 04 Aug, 2006 1:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey all!

Thank you for all positive response.
This one was fun to carve.
As many of you have noted you see other things when the hilt is finished in full scale, than you can see in the concept drawings. The concept drawings I make in 1:5 scale are generally detailed enough that I can scale them up and use as rough templates for full scale carvings. Still there will of course be difference sbetween sketch and finished peice.
In this case there has been hardly any changes from the concpet to the finished hilt. Scale and three dimensions make all the difference.
The hilt is to be made in steel. That is the material of choice for these irish swords originally. You can get pretty decent detail in steel (depending on the skill and care of the caster), but even better in bronze. Pure copper is not as good as bronze. Pure copper is rarely used for casting in our modern time.
I have not detailed stats for this sword at hand (my notes are not with me here at the computer, but left behind in the workshop), but I can provide some general characteristics as to its feel and character.
It is a hand and a half with a long slim blade (95 cm bladfe length) . In the Irish mounting it will weigh some 1,2 kilos when completed. When mounted with a ring pommel, the point of balance is further down toward the point that it will be in other configurations with this blade, but not in a way to make it sluggish. This sword is the opposite of sluggish.
The blade is very light and the hilt components are also light weight.
It is flexible and will show a slight droop when held horisontally, just like you can see on original blades of this type. I would not call it wobbly however, since the distal taper varies in base, middle and point, it reiains a decent stiffness. The point section is thin and crisp, like the best originals. This helps provide speed and responsiveness.

A blade of this type excells against lightly armed opponents. Blades of this type saw much use on battle fields of their time, and they normally did not have to deal with much in the way of heavy armour.
Many have a very intuitive and immediate response in their handling. They often show a character of nimbleness that is very easy to take a liking to: natural heft, quick and agile response and satisfying cutting capabilities.

The Gallowglass and the Catihness are two completely different swords and belong to different ages as well.
The Caithness is a medievel sword in style and character, while the Gallowglass belongs to the rennaissance. One is a single hander while the other is a long slim hand and a half sword. The Caithness would typically have been used with shield or buckler, the Gallowglass would have been used with both hands free to wield the sword. One might be attracted to both, but from very different reasons. If the choice is based on use and function, the case is rather clean: it is a matter about single hander vs. bastard sword. If the question is what sword is best looking, it is all about personal preference and taste...

Last edited by Peter Johnsson on Fri 04 Aug, 2006 5:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Greg Griggs

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 04 Aug, 2006 11:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter Johnsson wrote:
The Gallowglass and the Catihness are two completely different swords and belong to different ages as well.
The Caithness is a medievel sword in style and character, while the Gallowglass belongs to the rennaissance. One is a single hander while the other is a long slim hand and a half sword. The Caithness would typically have been used with shield or buckler, the Gallowglass would have been used with both hands free to wield the sword. One might be attracted to both, but from very different reasons. If the choice is based on use and function, the case is rather clean: it is a matter about single hander vs. bastard sword. If the question is what sword is best looking, it is all about personal preference and taste...

Peter,
All great points, and hense the reasons I'm personally having a heard time deciding what to do, hehe. I do already have a medieval one-hander in the St Maurice sword, and have been wanting a later period hand and a half sword for some time. The problem with the St Maurice is that it is entirely too much blade for my better half to swing, and so the reasoning behind the Caithness, not to mention I just like the design of that sword. But now.......I'm wondering if a light, thin bladed bastard sword with which she can use both hands wouldn't be better for her to cut with anyway. It all boils down to the fact that you have created two very beautiful swords that I would like to own but which I can't because, silly me, I thought spending three weeks in Scotland would be several thousand dollars cheaper than it was <cry>. Surprised Wink

Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.
David Ross

PostPosted: Fri 04 Aug, 2006 11:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter,

Regarding bronze hiltwork, have you given any consideration of allowing the option to purchase some of the Nextgen swords with both pommel and guard of bronze? Mike and Harlan had a Prince with all bronze furniture at the blade show and it was very nice. I am under the impression that the Valkyrja (which I have on preorder) will be cast in all bronze, but I was thinking it would be nice if some of the other swords had this as an option. Cool

Just a thought,

David
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Fri 04 Aug, 2006 4:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greg Griggs wrote:
But now.......I'm wondering if a light, thin bladed bastard sword with which she can use both hands wouldn't be better for her to cut with anyway. It all boils down to the fact that you have created two very beautiful swords that I would like to own but which I can't because, silly me, I thought spending three weeks in Scotland would be several thousand dollars cheaper than it was <cry>. Surprised Wink

Hey Gerg,

I am glad you like both these swords!

I think you are right in your idea about two handed use. As a sword for a beginner afficionadoe, I would recommend the Gallowglass or the Crecy. Both these swords are going to be forgivng and inviting for the novice in cutting practice.
Do also concider the the Count or the Steward. They are also responsive and rewarding swords.

The fact that you can apply both hands will tend to make cutting more effortless in practice against stationary targets in recreational cutting situations.

Most contemporary users are not going to appreciate the change in character and function of a sword when its intended for heavy armoured battle field use (like the Sword of Saint Maurice for example).
John Gage
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 04 Aug, 2006 5:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Peter,

Beautiful work (as usual) on the waxes !! I love the Gallowglass, that one is going to be sexy. Happy

Regards,

John

http://www.GageCustomKnives.com/
Jeremiah Swanger

PostPosted: Sat 05 Aug, 2006 12:25 am    Post subject: Re: Gallowglass waxes II         Reply with quote

Howard Waddell wrote:
We thought that we'd show you what the Gallowglass will look like. The molds are done and the first production waxes are off to the foundry. This is a set of production waxes mounted on an unground blade blank.

Best,

Howy

Wow! If the lines and proportions of that blade blank are any indication, this just might be the new gold standard for Type XIX reproductions!

"Rhaegar fought nobly.
Rhaegar fought valiantly.
Rhaegar fought honorably.
And Rhaegar died."

- G.R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Sat 05 Aug, 2006 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Gallowglass waxes II         Reply with quote

I think you would have to go back to the 16th century to find the old gold standard. Not many have made type XIX's in recent years. Gus Trim made a few - The DD1601 survives over at Lee Reeves' site. Armart makes the S34, a good sword, but the grooves on the ricasso are sloppy. There are a few other sort of XIX's by Del Tin and Windlass.

When Albion releases all the ones they have in design (6 so far) they will indeed be the gold standard for XIX's. I bet they come up with even more hilt types to put on that blade.

Will the Gallowglass, the Hauptmann, and the Markgraf all use the exact same blade design? Likewise the Condottierre and the Kern?
Jeremiah Swanger

PostPosted: Sat 05 Aug, 2006 11:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Gallowglass waxes II         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:
I think you would have to go back to the 16th century to find the old gold standard. Not many have made type XIX's in recent years. Gus Trim made a few - The DD1601 survives over at Lee Reeves' site. Armart makes the S34, a good sword, but the grooves on the ricasso are sloppy. There are a few other sort of XIX's by Del Tin and Windlass.

When Albion releases all the ones they have in design (6 so far) they will indeed be the gold standard for XIX's. I bet they come up with even more hilt types to put on that blade.

Will the Gallowglass, the Hauptmann, and the Markgraf all use the exact same blade design? Likewise the Condottierre and the Kern?

Roger,

I think you and I should form a club entitled "Fans of Underappreciated Sword Types"

Seeing as how I'm a big fan of Type XI, and you're the resident XIX lover...

Anyway, seeing as how you are, indeed, the XIX guy, I was wondering if there are any examples of any XIX's found in Scotland? Perhaps with an angled cross and high-rivet-block wheel pommel? If Ireland used these swords, and some Claymores I've seen looked suspiciously like XIX's on steroids...

... maybe that's another interesting combination for one of my threads in the "Off Topic" forum...

"Rhaegar fought nobly.
Rhaegar fought valiantly.
Rhaegar fought honorably.
And Rhaegar died."

- G.R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Sun 06 Aug, 2006 6:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, I may love XIX's but I sure don't know everything about them. It wouldn't surprise me if some blades of that type got fitted with Scottish baskethilts. They seem to me to be a match that would work well together, but I don't know for sure. As for Scottish XIX's with a cruciform hilt, I just don't know. Maybe Thomas Macdonald could weigh in here. Mac?
Greg Griggs

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 10 Aug, 2006 9:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well.......
Got mine on order a few days ago. Guess I will see just how beautiful Peter and the Albion gang can make a blade of this type.
Now hurry up and get it done Howy! Wink Razz Big Grin

Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > New Hilt Waxes
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: