Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Protective gear worn cir. 800-1100 A.D? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 
Phill Lappin

PostPosted: Wed 02 Aug, 2006 6:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
Sounds good.

One thing you might want to think about is doing something to impart movement to the test target. Put it on a rail system, some kind of spring loaded stand, etc. Real people wearing this stuff weren't going to stand there flat-footed and let you shoot them. They'd be moving, either running, dodging, riding on horseback, etc. The movement of the target can add a realistic and very critical element to the testing procedure. This is something I've seen lacking in nearly every test like this.
I think a lot of the time they actually would have been standing still, in formation on the battlefield. Archers were rarely targeting moving individuals like a modern rifleman or sniper, they were firing in volleys at large units of troops who would have probably used their shields to protect themselves, so I think there's nothing wrong with a stationary target.
IN NOMINE DOMINE
IN NOMINE CONVIVOR
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Wed 02 Aug, 2006 7:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm looking forward to your test results and you are trying to get as many of the variables factored in.

I'm guessing at a range of results and not a black and white answer for a complex problem.

Lets assume that all the test conditions are valid to period I would expect that no two shots would be guarantied to give
100% identical results, but I wouldn't see this as a flaw in the tests themselves: Only that in the real word little things can change results i.e. a slight difference in angle of a hit, hitting maille on an area under tension or an area loose and bloused
etc ........

Now, getting an estimate of what the probabilities are something else: One might arrive at the conclusion of 80% success rates or 20% rates under varying conditions. Oh, range would also be very important: Ten yards or one hundred yards or two
hundred yards or more.

Oh, I mentioned bloused maille as there was a discussion about maille stretched tightly might be easier to pierce than maille on a thick and soft backing. I just thought that blousing of maille over a waist belt is usually explained as a way to take some weight off the shoulders and have some of the weight supported by the belt at waist level: Now I'm just wondering if part of the reason is to loosen the maille and make it harder to defeat or that is just a good secondary benefit ?

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Thimo Savbotta

PostPosted: Wed 02 Aug, 2006 7:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean, I believe you are correct on the loosening of the maile. I've been told by others who have tried this stuff that when it'sloose it has a tendency to twist with the spin of the arrow, thereby binding the head.

As far as some of the armour type tests I've already tried. One was shooting at a stainless-steel, 5 gallon cooking pot. Due too the roundness of the surface I had 2 out of 3 arrows ricochette off at sharp angles, leaving not even a dent on the steel. It took a dead on center shot at 20 yards before I got any penetration. I had filled the pot with red-gelatin to give the pot weight and to see how far the arrow went in. But I'd say my chances at peircing a cancave armoured surface while on the move would be even more drasticaly reduced.

Which brings me to this question: How were the surfaces of sheilds designed durring the 12th century. I've seen some that appear rather concave in appearence. It this an illusion or were they built more rounded?

Also it makes me wonder if there were ever any sheild surfaces built with a "V" type shape. As in the point of the V jutting forwards. It would seem to be and ingenious design, as arrows have a tendency to glance off this type of surface, even when it's not that thick of metal.
Thimo Savbotta

PostPosted: Wed 02 Aug, 2006 7:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Phill, you are right about the rawhide. It is extremly durable stuff, especially the types used on sheilds which often was the thickest available. And if thick hide could not be had, numerous layers provided the same properties. Native american sheilds were built out of nothing but rawhide stretched over a wood frame, (buffalo-neck-hide) and it warded off enemies arrows and clubs. It wasn't until firearms were pitted against them that they began having trouble.

I would imagine a woodsheild made out of 1/2"T planks and covered in thick layers of rawhide would have been quite inpeneratable.
Phill Lappin

PostPosted: Wed 02 Aug, 2006 8:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thimo Savbotta wrote:
Jean, I believe you are correct on the loosening of the maile. I've been told by others who have tried this stuff that when it'sloose it has a tendency to twist with the spin of the arrow, thereby binding the head.

As far as some of the armour type tests I've already tried. One was shooting at a stainless-steel, 5 gallon cooking pot. Due too the roundness of the surface I had 2 out of 3 arrows ricochette off at sharp angles, leaving not even a dent on the steel. It took a dead on center shot at 20 yards before I got any penetration. I had filled the pot with red-gelatin to give the pot weight and to see how far the arrow went in. But I'd say my chances at peircing a cancave armoured surface while on the move would be even more drasticaly reduced.

Which brings me to this question: How were the surfaces of sheilds designed durring the 12th century. I've seen some that appear rather concave in appearence. It this an illusion or were they built more rounded?

Also it makes me wonder if there were ever any sheild surfaces built with a "V" type shape. As in the point of the V jutting forwards. It would seem to be and ingenious design, as arrows have a tendency to glance off this type of surface, even when it's not that thick of metal.
Almost all shields had a convex shape at least along the horizontal plane. The only concave shields I can think of are for jousting, to ward away the opponents lance. There were some shields with a curved v shape, often with a heavy central spine. I think your tests with the pot are consistant with what I've heard about plate armour. It's almost impenetrable except for exceptionally good (or lucky!) shots. Most of the arrows that would have hurt a knight would have struck the horse, the eye slits or breathing holes in the helmet, in between the joints or in another non armoured area. However when you think about a hail of hundreds of arrows being fired at once the chances tend of those lucky shots increases.

In the end I feel that a 14th century knight would fee very confident against a few arrows and fairly confident against one or two volleys if they were charging straight for the enemy and knew they would reach them before they had to take any more. It was only in situations like Agincourt where the English were able to slow down the knights that longbows were able to really hurt them.

IN NOMINE DOMINE
IN NOMINE CONVIVOR

Last edited by Phill Lappin on Wed 02 Aug, 2006 8:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Wed 02 Aug, 2006 8:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thimo;

Oh, welcome to the site by the way. Big Grin Cool

Here is a shield made by Mercenary Taylor's that you may have seen or not ?
http://www.merctailor.com/catalog/product_inf...ucts_id=87

I have one of these but I haven't tested it as I have it mostly for collection purposes. The rawhide seems rock hard and very
tough. There is also a leather covering over a poplar plywood. How close to period construction I can't tell you, but Allan has told me that a client of his has been using it and it has held up to a lot of abuse over 3 or 4 years of use and only needed a new leather covering to restore it to as new: Obviously nobody has been shooting at it with heavy draw bows or using sharp weapons on it, but it has survive well being hit with blunt living history weapons.

maybe Allan will see this post and reply or you might send him a P.M. ( Allan Senefelder ).

Thimo Savbotta

PostPosted: Wed 02 Aug, 2006 9:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean, yes I downloaded that same pic the other day. Very nice workmanship. But I don't think I would want to shoot at something that beautiful.
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Thu 03 Aug, 2006 2:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thimo Savbotta wrote:
Jean, yes I downloaded that same pic the other day. Very nice workmanship. But I don't think I would want to shoot at something that beautiful.

You might get him to make you some less expensive panels built in a similar way for tests ? He might even do it at a low price by using left over materials or just not taking the time to make it to his usual aesthetic standard.

Cost for him may be less materials than time.

In any case I would ask him about it in a P.M. : He's a really nice guy and if he can afford the time or not he will tell you.

I know he has supplied a breast plate for destructive testing before and he might think it worth while to know how his shield resists arrows or not and under what conditions: There should at least be some shots taken at different angles to see if arrows from heavy draw bows will be deflected under favourable conditions : Favourable for the shield that is.

Historic or not, at least I ( we ) would know what to expect from a shield built like this: It always good to know the limits of one's equipment. Wink Big Grin

B. Fulton

PostPosted: Fri 04 Aug, 2006 11:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Being that typical archer volleys were at targets either standing around, or advancing (Agincourt etc) a simple way to replicate that, is to do what shooters do for a charging target simulating a knife-wielding wacko.

Mount the target to either a small wagon with rope to be pulled, or in the larger versions, I've seen an RC chassis with offroad wheels about the same size that could be driven back and forth and have it advance on you.

Wagon method is much cheaper, you just need some good pullers. Happy
Thimo Savbotta

PostPosted: Fri 04 Aug, 2006 3:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Excellent idea on the moving target!

A friend of mine has also suggested making a rail type dolly system useing skateboard wheels. He's seen this done in motion pictures for use with camera men.

Here's question I have in regards to padding. I read last night where heavy felt was used as well. How would this be attached or made in a period protecive shirt?
Randall Sanchez

PostPosted: Sat 12 Aug, 2006 6:26 am    Post subject: bit of info         Reply with quote

Just had to get in on this one.

First of all I just want to say I have seen a number of bow tests using bows of various weights and size. However, most people tend to forgot the most important aspect of the bow. The STRING! Yes the string used plays a huge role in the efficiency of the bow and impact of the arrow. Remember, they didn't have FastFlight back in the day or any other light synthetic version. They used hemp and linen. The result was a very heavy line that decreased the amount of speed and power a traditional heavy grain arrow could put out compared to a modern bowline. I'd ask that those that have done tests redo them with a hemp or linen bowline please. Some of the feedback I've recieved has been sketchy but so far it has all stated that there were differences in the results.

Second, this one is debatable. The bow weights have been debated on for a while now but the general consensus has them between 80-110#. Weights higher than that were of course possible but were not to be considered "common". The english later improved on this when the made archer a national pasttime (including child required practice laws!) and the bow weights increased. This didn't start to happen until the late 1300's and early 1400's. This pretty much rules out the 800-1100 range you're asking about.

Third is the arrow itself. Or more specifically the arrowhead. Bodkins were armor piercing arrows for sure. They did not receive much popularity on the battlefield though until later eras when plater armor became more common (800-1100's is what we're shooting for remember). While bodkins were able to pierce easy they did very little damage. The holes created were smaller than the shaft due to the elastisity of human flesh and self sealing. Thus bleeding was minimal unless a major artery was hit. Broadheads has enourmous popularity though (spanish used tri-bladed!!) because of their killing potential. From top to bottom was the cutting channel created by a broadhead which ranged from 1/2 inch to 1 1/4 inches long. They had more opportunity to severly cut organs, arterys, and muscle than a bodkin hand down. At close ranges they were also able to penetrate mail and padded armors. Take a good look at some of the hoards and finds and you'll see broadheads dominating the piles.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Protective gear worn cir. 800-1100 A.D?
Page 4 of 4 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: