Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Question about Scottish Hunting Dirks Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Chris Goerner

PostPosted: Tue 04 Jul, 2006 6:14 am    Post subject: Question about Scottish Hunting Dirks         Reply with quote

In seeking out good quality reproduction dirks for reenacting, I keep running across stag-hilted reproductions purporting to be "hunting dirks". I have only a few resources on 17th/18th century dirks, and none of them contain photos of dirks with stag handles. All of those pictured have the achetypical grip shape made from carved wood, bone, brass, pewter, etc... but none with stag grips.

I do have some photos of sgians with stag grips, but these are quite a bit smaller than dirks.

Is it just that my resources are limited? Are these "hunting dirks" of a later (Victorian) era? Or are they simply modern concepts?

I have to admit, one of the reasons I am interested is that a friend has one he made for sale, and it is a beautiful piece. I would consider purchasing it if it is 18th century appropriate.

Any opinions -- and especially photos of originals -- would be greatly appreciated!

Chris

Sic Semper Tyranus
Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Tue 04 Jul, 2006 8:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Chris

I took a photo of one at the Culloden Visitors Center which is definately dirk length.
I believe the blade is either a cut down sword or possibly made out of a bayonet ?
Its handle is a sizeable piece of antler.
(can't post the pic as I agreed not to do that publicly without permission)

Attached is a drawing of one that is in James Drummond's "Ancient Scottish Weapons"

So they most definately do exist ..... send me your e-mail and I'll show you the Culloden one !

Mac

Attachment: 65.93 KB
Drummond stag dirk.jpg

'Gott Bewahr Die Oprechte Schotten'
XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail
GG Osborne

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 04 Jul, 2006 5:54 pm    Post subject: Red Deed Stag Handle Dirk         Reply with quote

Hi, Chris....Please accept this message in good grace as I had made myself a promise not to speak to you again after I saw the Eljay hilt!! Seriously, I had Mike MacRae make a nice stag handle dirk out of a crown section red deer antler piece. To facilitate a larger, triangluar blade, I asked Mike to cast a brass flange to mate the blade cross-section to the diameter of the antler. The Drummond dirk shown by Mac was used as the model. If I can make a picture, I'll post it along. The scabbard I made uses the cross-hatch design on the Drummond picture. Hope this helps.....George Osborne
GG Osborne

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 04 Jul, 2006 5:56 pm    Post subject: Stag Dirk         Reply with quote

I woiuld appreciate a pic of the dirk you referenced, too, Mac. osbornegg@bellsouth.net. Thanks!!
Chris Goerner

PostPosted: Wed 05 Jul, 2006 3:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mac -- many thanks for your post. I knew I could count on you having some helpful information! Is there any pertinent text that goes with the numbered illustrations? I would be interested in knowing what is said about the stag handled dirk (#3) as well as the sgian (#6).

George -- I would love to see a photo of your MacRae dirk if you can get one posted. You've mentioned several interesting pieces in this thread and a few others. I would love to see your collection posted sometime on the forum!

Sic Semper Tyranus
Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Wed 05 Jul, 2006 3:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chris Goerner wrote:
Mac -- many thanks for your post. I knew I could count on you having some helpful information! Is there any pertinent text that goes with the numbered illustrations? I would be interested in knowing what is said about the stag handled dirk (#3) as well as the sgian (#6).

Here ya go , Chris ! I'll include the full plate as well.

Mac

Attachment: 102.76 KB
dirk text Drummond.jpg

Attachment: 61.32 KB
dirk plate Drummond.jpg

'Gott Bewahr Die Oprechte Schotten'
XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Question about Scottish Hunting Dirks
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic