Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Seeking information on an unknown 'unmounted' basket-hilt ? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Mon 05 Jun, 2006 5:18 am    Post subject: Seeking information on an unknown 'unmounted' basket-hilt ?         Reply with quote

Hi Folks

Attached is a photo I came across that shows an unmounted basket-hilt that I've never seen before.
Has anyone seen this one before, or know of its whereabouts ?
The photos quality is a tad poor but It appears to be a pretty elegant inlaid/engraved piece ?
It looks to have been taken at some museum display , ?, but none that I've ever come across ?

Any help, or input, appreciated !

Cheers, Mac

Attachment: 53.7 KB
mystery basket-hilt.JPG

'Gott Bewahr Die Oprechte Schotten'
XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail
Henrik Bjoern Boegh

PostPosted: Mon 05 Jun, 2006 9:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm sorry I can't help you with anything more useful than this:
I think it reminds me alot of the sword the new Hanwei basket hilted broadsword is based on. In Culloden - The Swords and Sorrows there is one which also resembles this one.
Anyways, thanks for sharing! It's a beautyful hilt!

Cheers,
Henrik

Constant and true.
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Mon 05 Jun, 2006 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Seeking information on an unknown 'unmounted' basket-hil         Reply with quote

Thomas McDonald wrote:
...It appears to be a pretty elegant inlaid/engraved piece....

I can't help either, Mac. But thanks for posting the photo. That hilt looks gorgeous! Lovely filework, piercings and (?) silver inlay(?)

"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Mon 05 Jun, 2006 7:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Henrik Bjoern Boegh wrote:
I'm sorry I can't help you with anything more useful than this:
I think it reminds me alot of the sword the new Hanwei basket hilted broadsword is based on.
In Culloden - The Swords and Sorrows there is one which also resembles this one.
Anyways, thanks for sharing! It's a beautyful hilt! Cheers, Henrik

Thanks for your thoughts, Henrik !
I'm curious .... which example in "Culloden TSATS" did you feel resembled this one ?

It's unfortunate that the image is so poor as I swear I'm seeing a Doune influence on this Stirling hilt ?

To my eyes, it could easily have come from one of the famous Stirling workshops with embellishments & decoration possibly added by an associated craftsmen (ie: pistol maker) from Doune, or the like !

One piece that comes to mind, and could very well be by the same maker, ?, is LA 75, an unmounted, inlaid, & elaborately engraved basket-hilt, that resides at the Culloden Visitors Center, near Inverness. (see the following)

Thanks, guys ! - Mac

LA 75 - Fully engraved basket with silver inlay.
- Scottish Arms Makers, Charles E. Whitlaw, Plate V. Fig.6
"Detached basket hilt of the usual pierced design, but exceptional in quality and in state of preservation. The surface is profusely chased with floral and scroll ornament and inlaid with silver in the form of marginal lines to the panels and their piercings, also circular and lozenge shaped plaques engraved respectively with rosettes or the dot and circles ornament and leaf form. The decoration bears so strong a similarity to what is found on the best quality of iron pistols made in Doune and Stirling during the second quarter and early third quarter of the eighteenth century, that it may be safely assumed to be the work of one of the Stirling armourers whose work has been illustrated, possibly John Allan Senr." - Residing at The Culloden Visitors Center, near Inverness. Photo: Cyril Mazansky's book 'British Basket Hilted Swords' (2005) F15a, page 111.

Attachment: 93.09 KB
LA 75.jpg

XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail
Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Mon 05 Jun, 2006 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Seeking information on an unknown 'unmounted' basket-hil         Reply with quote

Steve Grisetti wrote:
Thomas McDonald wrote:
...It appears to be a pretty elegant inlaid/engraved piece....

I can't help either, Mac. But thanks for posting the photo. That hilt looks gorgeous! Lovely filework, piercings and (?) silver inlay(?)

Thanks, Steve !
Aye, gorgeous sums it up nicely :-)

Slàinte, Mac

XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail
GG Osborne

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 05 Jun, 2006 9:40 pm    Post subject: Sword         Reply with quote

Mac...you are an evil, evil man. Showing us "basket heads" this beautiful piece and not a way to get one made!! Shame!! And you Henrik, which of the Hanwei models are you referring to? I am still looking for a basket to use with the saber project. Anyone have an idea? George
Henrik Bjoern Boegh

PostPosted: Tue 06 Jun, 2006 4:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Mac,

Plate number 1:14 shows a highly decorated stirling hilt which has the same general shape. They don't resemble each much save for the rather simple filework on the saltire bars (guess that's what made me think they were somewhat alike in the first place). But I think the Hanwei Broadsword hilt is a tad closer (though on that one the knuckleguard is of another general shape and the cut-outs are different).
The other unmounted hilt is the closest to the mark, Mac. It has the same general shape. The filework on the knuckleguard and saltire bars look very much alike too me.

1:14 from Culloden TSATS:

Here's a pic of the Hanwei.

Another two hilts with the same simple filework on the saltire bars:

I'm sorry if it may be a bit off-topic, but the filework on the saltire bars is what caught my eye and attention.
Now, do you know if this kind of "simple" filework is exclusive to Stirling hilts? I'm somewhat convinced that it is...

Cheers,
Henrik[/quote]

Constant and true.
Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Wed 07 Jun, 2006 2:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks, Henrik

Here is another inlaid basket-hilt (on the right) that is in the similar vein as the other two !

This one is LA 155 ( Mazansky photo) which I've edited out the pommel & blade on so the focus would be basket only !

Mac

Attachment: 92.54 KB
JAS inlayed LA 155.jpg

XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail

Last edited by Thomas McDonald on Wed 07 Jun, 2006 6:02 pm; edited 2 times in total
Steve Grisetti

PostPosted: Wed 07 Jun, 2006 2:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thomas McDonald wrote:
Thanks, Henrik

Here is another inlaid basket-hilt that is in the similar vein as the other two !

This one is LA 155 ( Mazansky photo) which I've edited out the pommel & blade on so the focus would be basket only !
This one is attributed to John Allan of Stirling.

Mac

Sorry, Mac. I'm a little confused. The hilt on the left is still LA 75, yes?

"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Wed 07 Jun, 2006 3:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve Grisetti wrote:
Sorry, Mac. I'm a little confused. The hilt on the left is still LA 75, yes?

Hi Steve

Sorry about that, yes, LA 75 is on the left, LA 155 on the right !
(I just put them side by side for comparison :-)

Mac

XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail
Henrik Bjoern Boegh

PostPosted: Wed 07 Jun, 2006 3:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mac, do you know if the lines on the bars on the LA 155 are fluted or are they inlays?
If it is fluting isn't this unusual for Stirling hilts?

Cheers,
Henrik

Constant and true.
GG Osborne

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 07 Jun, 2006 4:19 pm    Post subject: Check this out         Reply with quote

Dear Mac......Take a look at the Mad Piper website www.themadpiper.com, Donnie Shearer has an original Allan hilt to which he has access and has reproduced it. The one illustrated is the original and has silver inserts. I have a reproduction of this hilt on order with Donnie and hopefullt will have it by the end of the summer. However, I think it might be worth a look as you research the pedigree of the hilt in question. George Osborne
Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Wed 07 Jun, 2006 4:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mac, do you know if the lines on the bars on the LA 155 are fluted or are they inlays?
If it is fluting isn't this unusual for Stirling hilts? Cheers, Henrik

Hi Henrik

Mazansky referred to them as a pair of parallel lines deeply engraved.
I'm not positive if there is any inlay between these lines, but it does appear that there is ?
(I recall Vince saying this piece was inlayed, as he examined it at the MOS reserve)

Typical Stirling hilts (narrow bars) usually do not have fluting, but there are examples of Stirling made (ie: by the Allan family) that do. These ones have a very Glasgow look to them with their flat wide fluted bars.

Mac

XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail
Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Thu 08 Jun, 2006 4:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Folks
Okay, I've had my fun .... time to let you guys know about the mystery basket-hilt in that photo !
(which I blurred and did a little antiquing too )

That baskethilt, which was indeed inspired by the beautiful LA 75 at Culloden, is the work of the amazing Vince Evans !

You folks that are lucky enough to be attending the Atlanta Blade Show this June will be able to view this incredible piece of work there, along with some other jaw droppers that I was privledged to get a early bird peek at !
But no need to be reaching for your checkbook as this baby is already sold (not me, unfortuately )

Vince racked up a staggering 188.5 hours working on this one, as the extensive silver inlay & engraving was quite time consuming & tedious, and with its gorgeous pattern weld blade, & carved interlace grip, it truly makes this one a sword fit for a Highland Chieftan.

Vince also did a most wonderful job on it's design layout mixing some old elements in yet keeping it fresh & new !
Yes sir, the man is an Artist with a capital A.
Here are some other shots that show this masterpiece in all it's beautiful glory, enjoy !

Cheers (and sorry for stringing you guys along ;-) Mac

Attachment: 69.7 KB
Evans inlayed 3.jpg

Attachment: 69.19 KB
Evans inlayed.jpg

Attachment: 83.51 KB
Evans inlayed 4.jpg

Attachment: 68.67 KB
Evans inlayed 2.jpg

Attachment: 43.6 KB
Inlaid Basket 33 Resized.jpg

Attachment: 96.44 KB
Inlaid Basket 36 Resized.jpg

Attachment: 96.07 KB
Inlaid Basket 37 Resized.jpg

XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail
David Wilson

PostPosted: Thu 08 Jun, 2006 5:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Amazing.... amazing work.... brilliant....

Why am I amazed? Of course Vince Evans is capable of such work. Of course he is.

Still....

It's not every day you see something like that, these days....

I was going to say that this was definitely the work of Walter Allen. I was certain of it.

Ol' Walt must be a little jealous, I think, wherever he is....

David K. Wilson, Jr.
Laird of Glencoe

Now available on Amazon: Franklin Posner's "Suburban Vampire: A Tale of the Human Condition -- With Vampires" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072N7Y591
Steve Grisetti

PostPosted: Thu 08 Jun, 2006 5:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thomas McDonald wrote:
...Okay, I've had my fun .... time to let you guys know about the mystery basket-hilt in that photo ! (which I blurred and did a little antiquing too )
WTF?! Laughing Out Loud You surely pulled the wool over my eyes Laughing Out Loud

Quote:
That baskethilt, which was indeed inspired by the beautiful LA 75 at Culloden, is the work of the amazing Vince Evans!
Yes - work that is amazing to mere mortals, seems commonplace for Vince! What a masterpiece!

Quote:
You folks that are lucky enough to be attending the Atlanta Blade Show this June will be able to view this incredible piece of work there, along with some other jaw droppers that I was privledged to get a early bird peek at !
Maybe it's best that I can't make the Blade Show. I don't think my heart could stand it. PLEASE, SOMEONE, TAKE A LOT OF PICTURES TO SHARE WITH THE REST OF US!
- Sir Toby Belch
Henrik Bjoern Boegh

PostPosted: Fri 09 Jun, 2006 2:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Incredible. Truely incredible...
The research and depth of detail is what really fascinates me with Mr. Evans work.
Do you know if he has made a scabbard for this masterpiece?

Thank you for sharing these beautyful pictures, Mac!

Cheers,
Henrik

Constant and true.
Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Fri 09 Jun, 2006 3:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Incredible. Truely incredible...
The research and depth of detail is what really fascinates me with Mr. Evans work.
Do you know if he has made a scabbard for this masterpiece?
Thank you for sharing these beautiful pictures, Mac! Cheers,Henrik

Hi Henrik

Aye, I was lucky to be able to stand at Culloden and watch him research this piece, listen to his thoughts and ideas thru the many months, and see this one become a reality ! I suppose you could say he does his homework but I believe it's far more than that, it's "creative passion" inspired by all that has gone before !

Vince always makes scabbards for his work . He told me with this one he wanted to keep it fairly simple, so as not to compete with the sword itself. Here is a shot of it, which I cropped & edited out of a project photo, that will give you an idea of what it looks like ..... it has a silver locket & chape. (ignore those forward guards blocking the chape, as that is another beautiful piece :-)
(I'll also include a shot of the unmounted pommel which is a gorgeous little piece all on its own :-)

Thanks, Guys, I know Vince & Grace appreciate all your nice comments ! Mac

Attachment: 29.03 KB
inlay scabbard shot.jpg

Attachment: 83.73 KB
Inlaid Basket 25.jpg

XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail
Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Sat 10 Jun, 2006 4:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A few more shots of this amazing sword !
(The sword weighs in at 3 lbs. 3 oz.)

Mac

XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail

Last edited by Thomas McDonald on Sat 10 Jun, 2006 4:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Steve Grisetti

PostPosted: Sat 10 Jun, 2006 4:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thomas McDonald wrote:
...You folks that are lucky enough to be attending the Atlanta Blade Show this June will be able to view this incredible piece of work there, along with some other jaw droppers that I was privledged to get a early bird peek at !....

Here is a link to Vince Evans' Blade Show Projects Picture Trail Album. Beautiful work!!

- Sir Toby Belch

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Seeking information on an unknown 'unmounted' basket-hilt ?
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: