Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > TN Ren Fair Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Jared Smith

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Mon 29 May, 2006 6:02 pm    Post subject: TN Ren Fair         Reply with quote

I talked my family into going to the Tennessee Ren. Fair. I primarily wanted to go because the Free Lancers were performing jousts.

The lances looked a little skimpy compared to my expectations. However, several participants had noticeable dents and wear on the armour as it was. Although I am the only "medieval geek" in my family, they all agreed that it was worth going to see an actual joust.

I took some photos (today, the championship round on May 29, 2006.) I thought some might enjoy seeing a couple.

This first one shows how much the lances were bending. I would guess these were about 1.5 inches (37 mm) diameter.
There are some tips broken (up in the air) in a couple photos.
The last one I am attaching because it was spectacular to see "parade like" fluted and ribbed armour being utilized for the benefit of the show to the crowd.

Attachment: 76.67 KB
bentlance.jpg
This pic shows how much the lances were bending.

Attachment: 79.09 KB
nicearmour.jpg

Attachment: 67.11 KB
This was another impact with lance bending... [ Download ]

Attachment: 85.43 KB
This image was taken just before an impact. [ Download ]

Attachment: 106.45 KB
Another image from just before impact. [ Download ]

Attachment: 120.47 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 117.21 KB
[ Download ]

Absence of evidence is not necessarily evidence of absence!
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Mon 29 May, 2006 8:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Crowd seems small.

Where is this faire at in The Volunteer State?

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd

Last edited by Joe Fults on Mon 29 May, 2006 9:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
David Ross

PostPosted: Mon 29 May, 2006 8:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nice photos! I was there yesterday, but was unable to get any quality photos of the joust. Sad
David Ross

PostPosted: Mon 29 May, 2006 8:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joe Fults wrote:
crowd seems small.

Where is this faire at in The Volunteer State?

The stands were packed on Sunday, as were the fairgrounds overall. I believe the angles of Jared's photos are towards the open end of the stands (they are horseshoe shaped).

The Festival takes place southeast of Nashville on the property of a gentleman who has been gradually been exanding the castle in which he and his family have lived for the past few decades Cool (tours included with price of admission). I'll see if I can scroung up a snapshot or two.
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Mon 29 May, 2006 9:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Googled it and found this:

http://www.tnrenfest.com/

Some pictures of the castle there. Its apparently called Castle Gwynn and looks like tis one heck of a structure. Unfortunately they don't tell much about it.

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Dan Pedelaborde

PostPosted: Tue 30 May, 2006 11:43 am    Post subject: TN Ren Faire         Reply with quote

I am a member of the So Cal Ren Faire geeks, and I am a member of the Bankside Schoole of Defence. I have always loved jousting no matter how cheesy it is.

However, I have come to find fault in many of the companies that preform them over the years. Many of the tourney companies have gone to the high theatrical "medieval Times" style of show and the true art of jousting has taken a back seat to the performance. Although this fills the stands and brings in the money...I admit I am a purist.

We once had a troop that practiced real jousting. They played for 3 points of the lance in the French style, but if knocked from horseback, they engaged in full foot combat.

There was never a "choreographed fight and the winner was never pre-determined; even for the Queen. The audience loved that the anticipation of a solid hit on target and that their favored knight may loose. Dressed in period reproduction armour and each knight had a choice of weapon once on foot. Often there was a mismatching of weapons: mace, flail, quarterstaff, or long sword and even then, all bets were off.

Yes there were injuries at speed and with full combat ready armour and weapons. There were even two occasion the paramedics were called to the field for a broken collar bone and heat exhaustion resulting in him passing out in the middle of a sword blow. Yet the crowds loved it even more. Yelling "Blood and guts !!" was a favorite cheer of the revelers pushing the knights to wining the electricity atmosphere of a "real battle" with each knight trying to win, no matter how ugly it got.

Due to workers comp. and medical costs, this troop was let go, but I have never seen that environment in a joust since. This proves to me you can he historically accurate, and fill the stands if done correctly.
Jared Smith

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Tue 30 May, 2006 5:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I was sitting at a far corner of the stands, almost at the farthest possible point. I wanted a perspective from the back side of one combatant of how it appeared head on with the opponent about to hit. This was the best I could do while tending to a small family at the same time.

Pictures were difficult to take, and all of these were cropped to elminate peoples' heads, etc. I tried to present the best 6 or 7 images of over 30 camera shots (shutter delay of about 0.5 seconds, so each shot was a guess.) This was something roughly like an American highschool football stadium in terms of seating capacity. It was packed about 10 minutes before the 1 hour long joust demonstration. I would say there was something on the order of 1000 spectators there.

I too would appreciate some serious momentum lance impacts, but understand that this was performed over approximately a 1 hour period, three times per afternnoon (11:30 morning, 1:30 PM, and 3:30 PM) in relatively hot and humid weather for three days in a row. There were only something like 14 to 16 performers, but I had well over 30 camera shots of individual passes and did not take pictures each time as people were sometimes in my way. One of the merchant's told me that a performer had been knocked off the horse in at least one of the earlier shows. Newspapers promoting the event stated that one regular member (sorry, have forgotten the name) could not be able to attend due to a broken bone.

I figure these people gave a good show and deserve appreciation. I spke with others at work today. The joust was a highlight event of the fair for them as well.

Attachment: 71.17 KB
crowd.jpg

Absence of evidence is not necessarily evidence of absence!
Don Calcote

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Tue 30 May, 2006 7:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very nice pictures. I had no idea Tennessee had a ren fair. Oh well.

I've only been to one (Southern California) and enjoyed it despite the heat and dust. I bet two small boys would have liked to have seen this as much as their dad would have. At least I made the core for my sword's scabbard this weekend.
Ryan A. C.

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Wed 31 May, 2006 9:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I didn't go this year but I had some friends who made the trip. They brought back pictures and I was exciting, expecting to see horses. Unfortunately they weren't very smart and skipped the jousting altogether. I don’t understand why anyone would do that.

Thanks for the pics!

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > TN Ren Fair
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic