Elling Polden wrote:

Macenzie; The stance on my avatar is me banging my shield, not a guard :P

And a very martial banging of the shield it is. Happy

m
Randall Moffett

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Tue 12 Jul, 2011 4:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mikael,

The statutes they pass once again can only be taken as a minimum requirement. This in no way means the government was limiting the combined use of the hauberk and COP or they felt it was sufficient by itself only that this was what they felt was an acceptable requirement to make the masses equipped and serviceable but realistic. If they were going for best equipment of the time they would be armed like the knights but that would be an unreal expectation.

RPM
Len Parker

PostPosted: Wed 20 Jul, 2011 12:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Rather than start a new topic I thought I'd post this here. I was reading the Icelandic Skaldskaparmal and I found this brief mention of a wolf skin shirt.

Thus sang Eyvindr:
And that hero
At Haar's tempest
Wore a sark
Of gray wolf-skin

Also I thought I'd put up a link to a reindeer coat in case anyone was interested http://eng.ethnomuseum.ru/gallery125/256/607_370.htm
Nathan Beal

PostPosted: Thu 21 Jul, 2011 7:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Brief warning on the prior link, AVG flashed up that it attempted a browser exploit.

May be a false alarm but you may want to be cautious when following that link.

N.

Beware of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.
E. Storesund

PostPosted: Fri 22 Jul, 2011 5:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Len Parker wrote:
Rather than start a new topic I thought I'd post this here. I was reading the Icelandic Skaldskaparmal and I found this brief mention of a wolf skin shirt.

Thus sang Eyvindr:
And that hero
At Haar's tempest
Wore a sark
Of gray wolf-skin

Also I thought I'd put up a link to a reindeer coat in case anyone was interested http://eng.ethnomuseum.ru/gallery125/256/607_370.htm

In the original old norse it says he wore hrísgrímni's shirt. hrísgrímnir means "the one who hides in twigs", more or less.
Len Parker

PostPosted: Fri 22 Jul, 2011 8:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I thought I had something there but didn't. Both sacred-text.com and voluspa.org had it translated that way. What is the point of translating if your going to butcher it? Oh that's right, to make wanna be armour researchers look stupid.
E. Storesund

PostPosted: Fri 22 Jul, 2011 9:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It is obviously a kenning though. It's not entirely out of place to read a "lurker of twigs" or whatnot as a wolf, especially as the context is one of battle. Could in theory be any forest critter though.
Stuart Thompson

PostPosted: Sat 06 Aug, 2011 1:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Elling Polden wrote:
yeah yeah yeah...

The pants are still silly. Big Grin

I'm going with reasonably loose pants, optionally with leg wrappings, myself.

Sad well I like my puffy pants.....and can still beat up saxons AND look great for a bit of women stealing so Razz there. Laughing Out Loud This seasons is all about the puffy pants without legwraps. Been far too warm to sport legwraps.

However back on topic. Personally I find that I don't need armor at all, just a shield. The helmet got in the way if anything (But thats my choice and most groups will require them to be essential for safety) as for mail, again no point. Was looking at a good Lam or Lorica to speak of the eastern ties of my 'character' but once you get into a fight these things don't help that much.

Teaching a student the other day he stuck his spear down onto my neck which I then lifted the shield and to the left to parry it moving forward and cutting across his knee with an axe. That was below his mail shirt. This happend with sword too held above the head with a faux thrust then when his shield was raised so he could not see a quick downward and side cut behind the knee. Also when you face a daneaxe your best bet is movement, try to let the momentum of the swing temporarily hamper his recovery so you can get past it. I find this easier with armor.

My characters roots are not exactly rich so in the real world i'd not sport the best armor if any at all and that would have to be given to me by my Jarl or after a few plundering trips to this Isle. All in all some love it, some want to go for crazy accuracy (To a degree) and some just want to look great Happy For helmets, i'd go for an iron nasal helm or simple pot style..like the one chose but not leather. Lest you look like the Histories Channels version of a Gaul lol why not go for some fur lined boots they love it.

sverđ er manni vargr, af bardaga er dýrđ, í dauđa er dýrđ.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Viking Clothing/Armour
Page 4 of 4 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: