Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Crossbows power / range Reply to topic
This is a Spotlight Topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11, 12, 13  Next 
David Ruff

PostPosted: Wed 07 Jun, 2006 11:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the input randell. You along with others in positions that can touch the armor we will be creating alike plates for have been emailing and have been a REAL asset to get a close test. Believe me i know this is a huge undertaking and even at its end there will most likely be more questions then answers nd that bothers me, but something i will have to live with.

I am very sure that under the right circumstances plate was failed to bows and crossbows alike, i make no illussions about that. In fact even the 12ga soft plate i fire WILL deter the 450lb crossbow at angles - most of the time shattering the bolt. This is where i have the thery that archers and crossbowmen alike got smart - no sence in firing if you know it will get attention that will lead to your death over the attention a missile was designed to deliever.

For me, i hope to become an expert within the field of the crossbow and to some extent the long bow. I got a LONG way to go in medieval crossbows. I build them, i fire them and at the end of the year i embark on a trip to germany, italy, england and scottland. I will be going to the collections and able to see the bows up close after hours via a makers pass through an invitation to the forge i make my steel parts at. This will also be the time i sit with medieval hisotians and ask all the questions i have been writing down for a year.

This is tempered with my company currently working the props for a movie to be shot in 2008.

I also merchant and actively sell crossbows and bows at medieval events and it is funny just how divided the lines are on this subject. This is one reason i fire bolts through the 12ga soft plate. Granted it is not armor - but it is a close approximation and shows that these weapons were not toys, but rather deadly. Again i make NO claims it was as easy as aim - fire - armored knight was dead. But it did happen. People seem to be firmly on the armor or the bow side... there seems to be no real middle ground.

I undertook this testing as the tests i have seen and heard about use light weapons against heavy armor OR vice verse. I want to do this test more so that i can control the weapons, the armor and read speed, weight and angles with real thickness and real power. I mean really, how many heavy crossbow makers do you know of? i know there are about 4 to 6 in the world that make them. Even less that fire them. The man i learned from has done it for 50 years and he met Payne Gallwey's sister when he was a boy. He has held the weapons in Mr. Gallweys book, so for me it gives me a reference from one expert to a student, that at times - gets ahead of himself.

I have fired upto 750lb crossbows, i have made upto 600lb crossbows, so this experiment is also an excuse to up my limits and test my skills as these weapons also have a real nasty learning curve - one mistake and people can die. I can only imagine the mishaps that happen on crude steels and heavy bows. I know i have seen a few prods explode and i am here to tell you even a light one sounds like a shotgun round and can spread material for a long way.

Again i thank you for posting up, i am sure Mr Howard and i will BOTH learn something at the end and hopefully both bring a sense of understanding to the table when the results come thorough.

Last edited by David Ruff on Wed 07 Jun, 2006 11:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Wed 07 Jun, 2006 11:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Like Dan, I'm eagerly waiting for the citing of sources for some of these things said about historical accounts.

Thank you.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
George Hill

PostPosted: Thu 08 Jun, 2006 7:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
Folks,
This thread has been very informative so far. However, I want to remind everyone involved that this topic, and all others here, need to be discussed without rancor and with civility. Some posts are flirting with being over the line.

Chad, I think we could all use something silly, yet bizarrely on topic....(Well, It's not at all historical....yet... but it is a crossbow, and I think everyone will get a useful laugh.)

Behold the silliest crossbow ever.

Giant crossbow to shoot man 20 miles into the air

http://blog.scifi.com/tech/archives/2006/06/0...ssbow.html

To abandon your shield is the basest of crimes. - --Tacitus on Germania
David Ruff

PostPosted: Thu 08 Jun, 2006 10:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
Like Dan, I'm eagerly waiting for the citing of sources for some of these things said about historical accounts.

Thank you.

Heres some interesting reads. What i draw from them is missile fire WAS the direct link to why armor grew in thickness... but thats just me...

http://www.ceu.hu/medstud/manual/SRM/armor.htm

http://www.ceu.hu/medstud/manual/SRM/arms.htm

"Two other important weapons were the bow and crossbow. The bow of course was a very ancient weapon, but it was still useful in medieval Europe. This fact was certainly made apparent with the development of the English longbow during the reign of the Plantagenets. The bow would be about the same height as the archer. The force that could be generated was enough so that an arrow could penetrate armor, a fact which was made clear during the Hundred Years War when English archers dispatched of many French knights at such battles as Crecy (1346) and Agincourt (1415). Modern estimates have concluded that a good longbowman could hit a target 200 yards distant (Funcken 88).

The crossbow was first used in the mid-10th century (Funcken 92). Although the Catholic Church tried to stop its use because of its deadly effects, many countries continued to employ the crossbow. One advantage this weapon had over the bow was that a relatively untrained soldier could use it. Little physical strength was also needed, and it could penetrate armor as well as an arrow could. Unfortunately, the crossbow and its supplies were rather heavy, and it could obviously not be loaded as fast as the longbow. Its range was also not as good as the bow. Towards the end of the Middle Ages and the beginning of the Renaissance, the use of the crossbow began to die out. It was last used in France in the mid 1500's."

Link to the above: http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/medny/travis2.html

Although the last says that a crossbow was not as good in range as a longbow - something that is disproven in my own testing and tests of others. Payne Gallwey states 450yards from a 1200lb crossbow using a war quarrel. Longbows in the 120 to 150lb range have a hard time breaking 250yards.

Will try and find more links when i get home from work.

David
David Ruff

PostPosted: Thu 08 Jun, 2006 10:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:

Thank you.

Nathan,

I have talked to one of the forge smiths that will be responsible for making the armor, he might post up here - not sure...

However one of the things we talked about is after testing we would like someone to view the armor shot etc.... Would you be willing and able to view such armor that was shot and verify the armor as to spec ect? You will be one of 3 are are being asked - we want three different people to see it, measure it etc etc and then write post testing thoughts and facts.

David
Clinton Harris

PostPosted: Thu 08 Jun, 2006 10:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My name is Cinton Harris a general partner at Wild wolf Forge (along with Dan Davis and Amy), an armourer, sword smith, and hilt maker.

I shall endeavor to create 2 true breastplates properly formed and functioned of the German design from 1500, export style, backed by rivited chain mail of exacting specs with a gambison behind it as well. This should clear the "they wore more than that" argument.

Conducting tests upon these two breastplates as accurate as can be done. Breast plate #1 shall be tested against manual operated Bow (horse, long, etc. etc). The test will be from a 35 Lbs bow until penetration is is found at 90 degrees then vary the angle by 10 degrees until peneration is no longer achieved, at which point a heavier poundage pull will be used. Breast plate #2 shall be tested against cross bows in a similar fashion. I am doing this at my own business' and UC crossbows' expense. I saw specs of thickness for armour, but what was not desribed was design; as shape and design plays a critical role in the protection of steel covering. Let's hear ideas, outside the afore mentioned German export breastplate.

I direct this to Dan- I need exacting specs of this legandary armour you speak of, not just thickness but also shape and configration of this armour (fluted, flat, landed???), for exacting results, I shall test your specified breastplate seprately from the others to end this silly debate, though be it if you say a complicated style (puffed and rolled), it shall not be an entire breast plate but of a fair amount of surface area to permit true testing.

I also request that any expert we may have (credentials required) willing to have a look at the weapon and armor after the tests (as well as opening testing (insurance company just flipped out) for those that wish to be present) to verify results, as there will be video and a written summery of the construction of the armour and weapons.

Metalergy 101: the metals we produce today is of a far superior quality than what was manufactored even 80 years ago. The steel will be manufactored of what is available commercially from the mill, I will then heat it to critical, oil quench and heat temper, this is an involved process that was not done on period amour for the masses. This should give the metal breast plates an adequate Rockwall hardness of period armour, if not harder yet. (FYI water and oil quenching alone make steels brittle, not stronger. Ever drop a quenched war hammer and have it shatter on concrete? I have) Steel is steel, a 12-1 matrix of Fe and Carbon. Steel is not an element; iron (Fe) is and is actually softer than steel (if not then modern buildings would be made with iron and not steel) There are tons, literally tons of information of steels, manufacturing, rockwall hardness, etc, etc. I refer to them for verificatin as I am not writting a metelargy thesis here.

I do not care one way or the other as to results as my life no longer depends on an outcome, this is just to end this debate as much as possible.

Now for the arrogant part, so please forgive, I will reply to posts as I can, I will not get into silly none important debates of usless almost information or what uncle Buddie's best friend's dog swears is true.

If my test specs are incorrect or should be modified (before I begin work on these armour pieces, as armouring is alot of work) please inform me. I would like metalergical specs of period armor and bolt/arrow heads if they are available.

Sincerely,

the idiot with a hammer.
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Thu 08 Jun, 2006 11:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

One of the problems inherent of those that write and re-write history is credibility and accuracy.

It is often easy to dismiss Froissart and Walsingham accounts but they were, after all, chroniclers (tabloid authors) of their day. That their work appears in translations makes it even tougher to seperate wheat from chaf. With them working from period accounts, their slants and biases further mutate in later editions.

Randall Moffet posted about some stuff I'm reading through at that British History online site I posted earlier in this thread. What is presented there is also edited but does offer some clues for further reasearch. Old and original (unedited) texts would be useful, as language and word usage has changed quite a bit.

The metallurgy is probably the largest hurdle and appears to be a large part of the current focus in research. It will be interesting to see "acceptable to all" results but I feel there will be a lot of continued debate on the issue. Count me more an interested bystander.

Cheers

GC
Felix Wang

Reading list: 17 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 08 Jun, 2006 11:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Clinton,

Thank you for the generous offer. I have read this thread, but not entered into it before now. If I may make two suggestions, I would like to suggest that the breast plates be designed along the lines of some specific surviving example (to forstall criticism of shape, thickness, et al.) and that the heads of the arrows and bolts also be designed along historical specifications. Alas, I am not knowledgeable enough to supply these things; but armour data might be available from various individuals, perhaps someone in the Armour Research Society. For arrowheads, perhaps the RA may be able to help.
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Thu 08 Jun, 2006 11:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Clinton;

Just a simple welcome to the site and this topic and, if you have time and are so inclined, you might find other topic threads that you might find of interest or start your own topic threads that I'm sure many would find interesting.

Looking forward to reading the detailed results. Cool Thanks. Big Grin

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Thu 08 Jun, 2006 1:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David Ruff wrote:
I have talked to one of the forge smiths that will be responsible for making the armor, he might post up here - not sure...

However one of the things we talked about is after testing we would like someone to view the armor shot etc.... Would you be willing and able to view such armor that was shot and verify the armor as to spec ect? You will be one of 3 are are being asked - we want three different people to see it, measure it etc etc and then write post testing thoughts and facts.

I'm no expert. I'd have to defer to somebody else more qualified. I'm just a hobbyist/enthusiast about this stuff.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Clinton Harris

PostPosted: Thu 08 Jun, 2006 1:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Glen A Cleeton wrote:
One of the problems inherent of those that write and re-write history is credibility and accuracy.

It is often easy to dismiss Froissart and Walsingham accounts but they were, after all, chroniclers (tabloid authors) of their day. That their work appears in translations makes it even tougher to seperate wheat from chaf. With them working from period accounts, their slants and biases further mutate in later editions.

Randall Moffet posted about some stuff I'm reading through at that British History online site I posted earlier in this thread. What is presented there is also edited but does offer some clues for further reasearch. Old and original (unedited) texts would be useful, as language and word usage has changed quite a bit.

The metallurgy is probably the largest hurdle and appears to be a large part of the current focus in research. It will be interesting to see "acceptable to all" results but I feel there will be a lot of continued debate on the issue. Count me more an interested bystander.

Cheers

GC

True, history re-writes are difficult and not at all what I seek here, only to try and see what we can learn from this as well as discover, not to mention destructive testing is fun. Maybe "acceptable to all" is a bad idea as "all" will never be happy unless "all" suddenly have the ability to determine exactly how and how many tests are to be done and have the means to back such a huge financial undertaking. Let's say as acceptable as can be achived without destroying or damaging period artifacts, unless a large money backer wishes to see the tests and risk the items, I personally do not find this that important as to destroy history.
Clinton Harris

PostPosted: Thu 08 Jun, 2006 1:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Felix Wang wrote:
Clinton,

Thank you for the generous offer. I have read this thread, but not entered into it before now. If I may make two suggestions, I would like to suggest that the breast plates be designed along the lines of some specific surviving example (to forstall criticism of shape, thickness, et al.) and that the heads of the arrows and bolts also be designed along historical specifications. Alas, I am not knowledgeable enough to supply these things; but armour data might be available from various individuals, perhaps someone in the Armour Research Society. For arrowheads, perhaps the RA may be able to help.

Thank you for the input I was leaning toward a sample from the wallace collection, though as I have not cut the pattern form metal all subjects are open for input. Though if we have and experts on the arms and armor of that time and can mic as well as give metal specs I would be most grateful. I am attempting to be as scientific and historical accurate as possible without again damaging real period items. And considering my lack of knowledge on the scitific standard this should be a fun experiment. At very least maybe we can all learn a bit about our passion here and history and those that came before us.
Clinton Harris

PostPosted: Thu 08 Jun, 2006 1:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Clinton;

Just a simple welcome to the site and this topic and, if you have time and are so inclined, you might find other topic threads that you might find of interest or start your own topic threads that I'm sure many would find interesting.

Looking forward to reading the detailed results. Cool Thanks. Big Grin

Thank you for the welcome, sincerely. I shall browse the other topic and se what strikes my fancy so to say. When you spend all day around the stuff you tend to get a tad burned out.

The weapons and armor is to be built and is a time consuming process so please all be patiant for this to occur. By partner is going to address the metal issues as he is more qualified for such a topic, iron to carbon ratio, compostion, etc.etc.
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Thu 08 Jun, 2006 1:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I don't now if any here are good with 15th century Italian, so I can't say if these are even relevant.

http://www.deremilitari.org/resources/sources/mantuacrossbows.htm

I'm getting very sparse results with Babelfish, et all and have not sat down to go word by word.

Cheers

GC
Clinton Harris

PostPosted: Thu 08 Jun, 2006 1:57 pm    Post subject: Date set         Reply with quote

I shall cut the plate armor on 6-11-2005 from a pattern I shall post here. Something 1550-1620 of the common type used by Men-at-arms/knights. that same day I plan on drawing the prods according to the specs given in Payne's work for the bow he tested/used--this was a "average bow" of the era rated at/around 1200 lbs pull of a windless type. For the crossow I am using Payne's work as the source for crossbows. Armor of the same ear, I am intrested in hearing about ranges for the test? 100 yards, or further (I granatee no hits past 100 yards without my rifle). I do ntot hink this bow I build wil be for sale, but if intrested after testing i shall be happy to work with UC crossbow on a remake (the first always has the mistakes and is not up to sale quailty, form-fit-function). I did the math a windlas is a 45-1 machine meaning a 1200 lbs prod should feel about 100 on the cranks, easy enough to pull with the machine.

Open question anyone know the Rockwall harness of a breatplate of the time I speak of? The wife will not let me destructive test the period armor around here.
Clinton Harris

PostPosted: Thu 08 Jun, 2006 1:59 pm    Post subject: typo correcton         Reply with quote

pre or 1520 armor, though a 8.0mm would be intrestin.

See said idiot with a hammer
Dan Howard

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Thu 08 Jun, 2006 6:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Randall Moffett wrote:
Not to detract from your posts as they are interesting but perhaps something that would help. The lists of breastplates you listed are all from outside the medieval period. Not one is even close to the era of crossbows and bows being used in war. I work with arms and armour, (was told out collection of englsih civil war armour was second to the Royal Armouries at one point) and these thicknesses seem the top range

Yes, these are among the thickest that have been studied. I thought I said that I consider them to be non-typical. I was engaging in hyperbole to demonstrate that the first example I presented was what I consider to be typical of the time and not "super heavy" or "top quality" as I was accused of doing. I can list a dozen other breastplates from the same time period that are all between 2 and 3mm and have a hardness in the 360-380 VPH range.
Dan Howard

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Thu 08 Jun, 2006 7:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Clinton Harris wrote:
I direct this to Dan- I need exacting specs of this legandary armour you speak of

If you are being sarcastic it is misdirected. Every example I have presented so far has included the museum in which it is located and the catalogue number, so I wouldn't classify any of them as "legendary." I don't have any more info other than what has already been posted. The examples all came from Williams' "The Knight and the Blast Furnace" pp913-916. More info will have to come from the museums in question.

Quote:
Metalergy 101: the metals we produce today is of a far superior quality than what was manufactored even 80 years ago.
Which is why I have said on multiple occasions that unless carburised wrought iron is used, the results will never be satisfactory. Modern steel just doesn't have the same mechanical properties.
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Thu 08 Jun, 2006 8:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dan Howard wrote:
Which is why I have said on multiple occasions that unless carburised wrought iron is used, the results will never be satisfactory. Modern steel just doesn't have the same mechanical properties.

Yes, but do you mean by that that period carburised iron would make better armour than the best modern steel or that a test with modern steel won't tell us what would have happened with the period material ?

Now, lets assume just for the sake of argument that modern heatreated plate is stronger armour than period steel and lets say that the results of the test show penetration of this " superior " armour: Would you still argue that the period steel would show more resistance to the bolt or arrows ?

Saying it in another way: If the plate produced for this test, on a scale of 1 to 10 of being arrow proof is an 8 and if the period plate is a 7 anything that can make a hole in the one rated 8 WILL go through the one rated 7.

Now the only way for the above to be false is for period Iron ( Fe ) an element, carburised ( + carbon = Steel, as a surface case hardening or varying in concentration through the thickness of the plate ) to be a superior armour material than the best we can make today, and this in spite of impurities and variable un-homogenious carbon content.

For the sake of a test using materials matching the period materials does seem like the best thing to do if one wants to test what would have occurred in period, I will concede. But one reaches a point of wondering if any test conditions will ever be considered " good " enough for you ??? I'm not being sarcastic, I just don't see you accepting any test results for any reason. Oh, and if one used a museum piece the results would be disputed because the piece's age means that somehow it has lost some of it's " proof " strength.

Sounds a bit to me like armour making secrets make the period stuff better than anything we could do today.

Now, you are perfectly entitled to reject the test results based on what you see as flaws in the methodology, but others can judge the results on their own merits: Using modern materials, such an such a missile will do such and such and decide if one can safely extrapolate to period conditions. I will find the results interesting even if it doesn't prove anything historically because my interest is not only about history but also how these material behave today.

At some point we must just agree to disagree. Hopefully Cool

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
David Ruff

PostPosted: Thu 08 Jun, 2006 9:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dan Howard wrote:
Clinton Harris wrote:
I direct this to Dan- I need exacting specs of this legandary armour you speak of

If you are being sarcastic it is misdirected. Every example I have presented so far has included the museum in which it is located and the catalogue number, so I wouldn't classify any of them as "legendary." I don't have any more info other than what has already been posted. The examples all came from Williams' "The Knight and the Blast Furnace" pp913-916. More info will have to come from the museums in question.

Quote:
Metalergy 101: the metals we produce today is of a far superior quality than what was manufactored even 80 years ago.

I will leave this one for Dan (forge master at WildWolf) and for clint, but here is my understanding <--- get ready for me to get things wrong.....

1050 if i am not mistaken is and has the same properties of the wrought they used back then - BARRING the impurities that they would have had back then. So if this is the case you would get a better over all and "standardized" plate that would not have weak spots ect. Hence a better and stronger plate. Meaning my crossbows and bows will have to hit it harder to punch through. So as Jean said if i can punch through modern steel made to the period spec in hardness, shape (flutes etc) and thickness, then there is every right to say that it would have gone through the same type of plate in period steels.

Now i understand the need to period example and i have not talked to clint about this today - can we make wrought?

On other subjects.... Hey clint - your making the prods?!!?!?!?! AWESOME!!! i thought i was gonna have to cut those suckers out and you were just saying uh huh on the phone today hehehe.

I got some information on the period tips that were specifically designed for fluted armor. I am doing research and have contacted Hector Cole to ask about them. The name i think they were called was "cornells" and they were specifically designed to catch armor - more specifically fluted and swept armor. I am attempting to attach a picture of 4 of them.

Clint i have 7 period bodkins Short 4 sided - used on bolts. We can forge them in two weeks when i come up. I have the windlass patterns and i am getting the stock pictures/patterns - german bows - circa 1498 both armed with windlasses and estimated pulls of 1000+. I will tone one down to 650 with the prod i already have. Your Italian stock could handle the 2000lb prod pattern from robin and i am also getting the 800lb prod pattern dug out.

Jody is having me make the 90lb longbow and he has the 127lb ready. You will need to make sure he specs the maille. If we are testing horse bows as well i will need to make a heavy 100 to 150lb period composite bow and that takes about 6 months - i have the parts here - lemme know if i need to start laying materials for it, with the high heat we are having glues will cure faster.

lastly - your selling your bow - your building this one under my eye - when you get it done you will want something better and stronger - trust me......

We are referencing payne Gallwey in power, but building collection identifiable bows... have built the PG seige bow.... boring!!!!!!

*****Picture of Four sided bodkins sent to me by robin http://www.thecrossbowmansden.com/Home.html to be used to copy. These are the ones that i was talking about that catch flute******

David

Attachment: 26.12 KB
tips.jpg

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Crossbows power / range
Page 8 of 13 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11, 12, 13  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: