myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > My New HalberdDIY Project Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Hank Reinhardt
Industry Professional

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Fri 02 Jun, 2006 8:32 am    Post subject: halberd         Reply with quote

Hey Sean, I don't know if I ever mentioned it, but I bought the original in 1959 from the Atlanta Auction Galleries. The guy wanted $12.00 for the "big axe" so I offered $8.00, and we settled on $10.00> I was forced to sell it aftermy wife was killed and I had to quit work to take care of my two daughters. Sold it for about $700.00, it was worht more,\. Now would be about $4000.00 I have a picture of me with the original around here somewhere, and if I can find it, will post it if anyone is interested. Hank
Hank Reinhardt
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Fri 02 Jun, 2006 9:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks, Hank! I know we'd all love to see the original! Did yours appear to have an intact original haft? Do you think this piece was a poleaxe or a halberd?

By the way, I just bought one of the now-discontinued MRL estocs. That's based on another piece in your collection, isn't it?

Oh, those postwar arms & armour prices! Those days are long gone, sadly.

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Hank Reinhardt
Industry Professional

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Fri 02 Jun, 2006 10:16 am    Post subject: halbard         Reply with quote

Well, I can't say for sure that the shaft was original, but I think it is. One thing for sure, head and shaft had been together a very long time. I had to take the head off, as part of the wood at the blade had rotted, I put it back together, and it lost about 2 inches.
The blade on the tuck is a little thinner than on mine, but they didn't have steel of the right thickness. I'm hoping to do a very good copy of the rapier I got from Ewart. No one has been able to duplicate the blade, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Hank Reinhardt
Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Fri 02 Jun, 2006 10:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the great info, and good luck on that rapier!
-Sean

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Thu 27 Jul, 2006 12:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just found this photo from this site's profile of 19th maker Ernst Schmidt. By coincidence, mine turned out looking exactly like this one--same blade shape, haft length, etc. Now, this is 19th c. reproduction, but still....

I still need to get some full length and detail photos of mine.

Attachment: 91.88 KB
schmidt.jpg

-Sean

George Hill

PostPosted: Thu 27 Jul, 2006 10:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean Flynt wrote:
Just found this photo from this site's profile of 19th maker Ernst Schmidt. By coincidence, mine turned out looking exactly like this one--same blade shape, haft length, etc. Now, this is 19th c. reproduction, but still....

I still need to get some full length and detail photos of mine.

It does look very much the same, except for your three holes drilled in places, and little cross, (Which I very much approve of, don't take it the wrong way or anything.)

You know, it's high time you made something else for us to stare at!!! Wink

To abandon your shield is the basest of crimes. - --Tacitus on Germania
Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Fri 28 Jul, 2006 7:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think I can just make out a cruciform piercing in the Schmidt blade...maybe some other piercings, too. Hard to tell from this image. This is the only such halberd of this type I know of that doesn't have the pronounced belly. I wonder if the Windlass piece was based on a Schmidt production. Or, it could be that there was an historical variant of this general type.

As for my next trick....It's aWindlass/MRL German estoc ca. 1500-1525. It's based on yet another original owned by Hank R.! I may not antique it. I may just give it a thorough upgrading--satin finish, new grip cover, some file work, etc. I'm planning to document the entire process this time--step-by-step text, decent photos, etc--, so stay tuned for something more formal than a boast-post. Big Grin Maybe this fall....

In the past, I thought the best way to hide MRL flaws was through antiquing--a salvage operation. Now I'm thinking of these pieces as kits than can either be antiqued or finished to a high standard. I started to notice that after I'd stripped an MRL piece of leather and lacquer and sanded the hilt furniture, I'd often think, "hey, this actually looks pretty good just like this." We'll see....

-Sean

Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Fri 28 Jul, 2006 8:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean Flynt wrote:
...As for my next trick....It's aWindlass/MRL German estoc ca. 1500-1525. It's based on yet another original owned by Hank R.! I may not antique it. I may just give it a thorough upgrading--satin finish, new grip cover, some file work, etc. I'm planning to document the entire process this time--step-by-step text, decent photos, etc--....

Please do, Sean. I love those step-by-step illustrations.

"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Fri 27 Aug, 2010 7:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Resurrecting this thread due to recent interest in polearms around here. A couple of years ago I "restored" this piece and tapered the haft in historical fashion. Now it looks like a veteran halberd of 1500, though it actually lives head-down in a dark closet. Sad

Attachment: 173.27 KB
halberd.gif

Attachment: 186.96 KB
halberd3.gif

Attachment: 55.71 KB
halberd2.gif

-Sean

Scott Hrouda

Reading list: 87 books

PostPosted: Fri 27 Aug, 2010 8:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean Flynt wrote:
Resurrecting this thread due to recent interest in polearms around here. A couple of years ago I "restored" this piece and tapered the haft in historical fashion. Now it looks like a veteran halberd of 1500, though it actually lives head-down in a dark closet. Sad

Very nice work (as usual Happy )

I can't believe you store this in a closet, display the piece! (Unless you have children, then keep it locked away Wink )

I'm especially jealous of your interactions with Mr. Reinhardt. I spent countless hours reading and re-reading his catalogs, wishing to own some of his weapons when I was younger and poor(er). What a pleasure it must have been to interact with him!

Thank you for reviving the thread.

...and that, my liege, is how we know the Earth to be banana shaped. - Sir Bedevere
Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Fri 27 Aug, 2010 9:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yeah, child safety is a key factor, as is attractive display space. It's the polearms enthusiast's lament.
Hank R. was very generous in his short time posting on the site. Better to have had him that brief time than not at all.

-Sean

Lee Stone

PostPosted: Fri 27 Aug, 2010 10:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean,

This thread gave me quite a start. I was reading it based on the posts you made today. Then I came across the posts by my old friend Hank and it gave me quite a start. That made me look at the dates on his posts and of course cleared everything up for me. Took a few minutes to settle down though.

I greatly enjoyed seeing your beautiful work on your halberd.

Lee Stone
Jean Thibodeau

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Fri 27 Aug, 2010 12:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lee Stone wrote:
Sean,

This thread gave me quite a start. I was reading it based on the posts you made today. Then I came across the posts by my old friend Hank and it gave me quite a start. That made me look at the dates on his posts and of course cleared everything up for me. Took a few minutes to settle down though.

I greatly enjoyed seeing your beautiful work on your halberd.

Yes it's always sad when we read a Topic and come across a post by someone who has departed ( died to be blunt ).

I did have the privilege of having some exchanges with Hank here on " myArmoury " but also a few personal e-mails back and forth.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > My New HalberdDIY Project
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: