Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Brigandine makers Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next 
Allan Senefelder
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 10 May, 2006 12:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I don't know so much but David Edge and Mr. Paddock seem to feel comfortable enough about it to use 16 different paintings and drawings, both portraits and scenes (5 of which feature large numbers of infantry a good number of whom have brigandine on the 6th being an allegorical painting with one of the figures wearing brigandine) in the chapter one the 15th century alone in Arms and Armor of the Medieval Knight. They also have a manniquine from the Tower Armouries I believe who is described as "typical" of The Wars of the Rose's period which includes open faced sallet maille gusstes and standard and a brigandine. The Armour Research Society Journal Vol 1 article on The Howard Books (the household accounts of John Howard regarding the purchase and loaning out of weapons and armour for the expeditions of 1463,1468 and 1481) are chuck full o brigandines being bought and loaned out. An Historical Guide To arms & Armor uses 4 pieces of period art work from the 15th century in 8 pages as source material. Charles Ffoulkes uses art as source material throughout The Armourer And His Craft . I fact as i'm plowing through my library after original pieces of armour art from the period is the most common source material use. Why is the acedemic and curratorial world so ready to site these as source material do you think James?
Chuck Russell

Reading list: 46 books

PostPosted: Wed 10 May, 2006 8:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

dude chill. ure messeges are coming off a tad hostile.

we also have ref's to cities handing out jacks, sallets and bows. and as one of the collaberaters of the sources you posted says, you can't go by art alone, its bad research. (bob reed) Happy
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Wed 10 May, 2006 8:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chuck Russell wrote:
dude chill. ure messeges are coming off a tad hostile.

Chuck,
Please leave these comments to Moderators; making them is our job, not a regular poster's. And everyone, please stay objective and professional in tone.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Allan Senefelder
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 10 May, 2006 8:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chuck it was a legitimate question. Why do the acedemic and curratorial worlds( David Edge being the currator of the Wallace Collection) site period art as sources so much in dealing with the subject of arms and armour? I didn't advance the idea that art is not a valid source another poster did so I was looking for his thoughts on why he thinks this is so. His view point is as valid as anybodys and i'm just asking whats his thoughts are based on his view point. Theres no need for a response now however as Chads right this has gotten off topic.
Dan Howard

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Wed 10 May, 2006 9:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Period artwork can be used as supporting evidence to build a case so long as documentation and archaeological evidence is used also. As already said, relying solely on artwork is "bad research".

Regarding leather, there are a few examples of leather covered brigandines but it is only decoration. Just like silk, velvet, cloth of gold, etc. The foundation (the layer providing the structural support) is still textile - usually canvas.
Michal Plezia
Industry Professional

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Wed 10 May, 2006 11:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dan Howard wrote:
Period artwork can be used as supporting evidence to build a case so long as documentation and archaeological evidence is used also. As already said, relying solely on artwork is "bad research".

I agree.Especially when the topic of the paining is crucifiction of the Christ or killing a christian martyr saint.Evil torturers/soldiers are sometimes shown in strange equipment to stress their evil.

www.elchon.com

Polish Guild of Knifemakers

The sword is a weapon for killing, the art of the sword is the art of killing. No matter what fancy words you use or what titles you put to
it that is the only truth.
James Barker

PostPosted: Thu 11 May, 2006 5:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Allan

You seem to prove my point about art vs. documents, in the cases you sited they start with Howard’s writings on how popular an item was and use extent examples and art to recreate one. Without art we could never recreate the clothing of the middle to late 15th century, there are only a few extent pieces and they are not the basics. But it is writings that tell me what colors are appropriate for a person of a certain station, what materials are more common, even what variations are popular when. Art gives a great visual reference, unfortunately it is not the be all end all of research.

Also I did not say the argument was if brigandines existed, they were super popular starting in the second half of the 15th century, the argument among scholars and reenactors is if the art work shows a brigandine with a placard or a cloth covered solid breastplate with decorative rivets and a placard. Unfortunately no brigandine examples give us hard evidence of having a placard over them as far as I have read.

As Dan said:

"Period artwork can be used as supporting evidence to build a case so long as documentation and archaeological evidence is used also"
Allan Senefelder
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 11 May, 2006 6:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

James, second paragraph clears it up, I misunderstood what you were saying several posts back. Thanks for the clarification.
Michal Plezia
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 17 Aug, 2007 7:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello!

I am on my final stages of producing brigandine. Cool

http://img76.imageshack.us/img76/1880/p8160043ob0.jpg only some shoulders and belt plates and one stripe is still missing Razz

I wonder -is it possible to wash it somehow?(it has outer-and inner layers of linen)Some of you guys have your own brigandines.How do you keep them clean?

www.elchon.com

The sword is a weapon for killing, the art of the sword is the art of killing. No matter what fancy words you use or what titles you put to
Brian St.Hilaire

PostPosted: Fri 17 Aug, 2007 11:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Does anybody have any opinions or experience about Steel Armory's brigandine?

http://steel-mastery.com/index.php?&model...uct_id=163

They also have a web store on ebay.
Dan Howard

PostPosted: Sat 18 Aug, 2007 4:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michal Plezia wrote:
Hello!

http://img76.imageshack.us/img76/1880/p8160043ob0.jpg only some shoulders and belt plates and one stripe is still missing Razz

I wonder -is it possible to wash it somehow?(it has outer-and inner layers of linen)Some of you guys have your own brigandines.How do you keep them clean?

If you have a liner then get rid of it. In an historical brig the bare plates rest on the arming doublet worn underneath. If the brig plates overlap corrcetly then the action of the plates will tear out a liner anyway. If not then it won't act efficiently as armour. If it is simply meant as costume rather than a practical defense then disregard all I just said Wink
Dan Howard

PostPosted: Sat 18 Aug, 2007 4:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Brian St.Hilaire wrote:
Does anybody have any opinions or experience about Steel Armory's brigandine?

http://steel-mastery.com/index.php?&model...uct_id=163

They also have a web store on ebay.

The liner is wrong for a start. Cannot say more without seeing how the plates are layed out.
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Sat 18 Aug, 2007 5:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michal Plezia wrote:
Hello!

Michal, I can't comment on the historical accuracy, but IMO your brigandine looks really nice! Did you keep track of how much time you have invested into that project?

"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Michal Plezia
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 18 Aug, 2007 2:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
If you have a liner then get rid of it. In an historical brig the bare plates rest on the arming doublet worn underneath. If the brig plates overlap corrcetly then the action of the plates will tear out a liner anyway. If not then it won't act efficiently as armour. If it is simply meant as costume rather than a practical defense then disregard all I just said

No no Dan I think it is misunderstanding(english is not my primary language you know Wink )

There are bare plates and I have arming doublet under it.My question was about cleaning heavy linen/canvas cover to which overlapping plates are attached.There are 3 layers of that linen(to make the whole thing strong) and than there are overlapping plates riveted to this.I don't understand what is not-historical about it?As far as I know that is how brigandines were made.
I don't quite understand what you mean by 'lining' in this context WTF?! If you are talking about layer that covers plates from the inside making them trapped between layers-I can assure you that there is no such thing here Big Grin
Inside looks quite similar to this
http://www.companie-of-st-george.ch/images/pi...tated.jpeg

but without padding on the shoulders.And I painted the plates with black paint to prevent it from rust.

Steve-it took circa 6 weeks to come to this final stage.As soon as I finish it I'll post some description and pictures.

www.elchon.com

Michal Plezia
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 20 Aug, 2007 2:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've found a picture from the earlier stage of production-there are some plates visible.As soon as I finish it I'll post more pictures showing brigandine from all sides. Happy

www.elchon.com

Dustin R. Reagan

PostPosted: Mon 20 Aug, 2007 6:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michal Plezia wrote:
I've found a picture from the earlier stage of production-there are some plates visible.As soon as I finish it I'll post more pictures showing brigandine from all sides. Happy

Wow, i'm very impressed with your efforts. When you are done, I hope you don't mind if i ask few questions, as I've lately been doing a little preparatory research on what it would take to make a relatively authentic brig of my own.

Good work!
Randall Moffett

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Mon 20 Aug, 2007 11:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think artwork has many limitations. I would think it occuring often in artwork a possible indication of it being common but not conclusive. I'd rely on written accounts to determine if something is common as you have more detail in numbers and their relation to reality is clear while art is not always so. Also The arms and armour of the medieval knight is a very general study on the subject, while a good read it has a number of limitations and is too broad in many cases.

RPM
Troy G L Williams

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Mon 20 Aug, 2007 11:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You could send a PM to Oleg Yanchuck. Here is a member here. I believe he may be able to create something to your liking. I believe that period is something he normally works with. He's working on some 14th century armor for myself. Wink
v/r,
Troy Williams

"It’s merely a flesh wound." -Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Troy G L Williams

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Tue 21 Aug, 2007 12:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sorry I guess I should have read the threads closer. I didn't realize you made your own. Congrats. Razz
v/r,
Troy Williams

"It’s merely a flesh wound." -Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Gary A. Chelette

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Tue 21 Aug, 2007 7:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michal Plezia wrote:
Hello!

Very nice work. I see you left plenty of space for arm movement. I have fought in a plated gambeson for many years and the only way I could clean it is a bucket of soapy water and brush. A car wash works as well, but you'll get strange looks from the guys in the next stall.
It takes 3 good warm days to hang dry it. It's all cotton canvas and breaths well in the Texas heat.

Are you scared, Connor?
No, Cousin Dugal. I'm not!
Don't talk nonsense, man. I peed my kilt the first time I went into battle.
Oh, aye. Angus pees his kilt all the time!

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Brigandine makers
Page 2 of 5 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: