Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Pics from the NY round table gathering last fall... Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Jay Barron

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 25 Mar, 2006 6:42 pm    Post subject: Pics from the NY round table gathering last fall...         Reply with quote

Yes, these have been a long time coming. Actually I forgot I had them.

Attachment: 88.52 KB
Stuff I brought... [ Download ]

Attachment: 102.62 KB
More stuff I brought... [ Download ]

Attachment: 87.09 KB
Stuff Albion sent (thanks guys) [ Download ]

Attachment: 94 KB
Antique goodies [ Download ]

Attachment: 80.99 KB
An antique medieval sword [ Download ]

Attachment: 124.24 KB
and hilt [ Download ]

Attachment: 74.99 KB
A pattern welded viking sword [ Download ]

Attachment: 120.16 KB
Viking sword hilt [ Download ]

Constant and true.
Jay Barron

PostPosted: Sat 25 Mar, 2006 6:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A few more...

Attachment: 112.7 KB
NY Round Table Mongolian short bow.jpg
A Mongolian short bow

Attachment: 71.91 KB
A renaissance sword [ Download ]

Attachment: 121.03 KB
Renaissance sword hilt (possibly a later period rehilt) [ Download ]

Attachment: 99.13 KB
A celtic sword [ Download ]

Attachment: 110.63 KB
Celtic sword hilt [ Download ]

Constant and true.
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sat 25 Mar, 2006 6:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow, do you have any more pictures of the antique swords? Especially that medieval XV... I'm coveting that! Razz
HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
Jay Barron

PostPosted: Sat 25 Mar, 2006 8:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I do have a few more pics. They are mostly of the viking sword, though. I'll see if I can dig them up. My wife just "organized" our photos so finding them will be hit or miss.
Constant and true.
Danny Grigg

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sat 25 Mar, 2006 9:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jay

Nice looking pics, thanks for posting.

Do you have any more pics of those sexy axes?

Any information and stats on them would be appreicated too.

Thanks

Danny
Allan Senefelder
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 25 Mar, 2006 10:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jays's pics 7&8 are of Dr.Jones 10th century Viking sword which is sword #4 under type X shown in Records of the Medieval Sword. We've got some pics recovered from our digital camera which got wrecked by a gust of wind blowing it over about half way through the day that we need to post which have some close ups of the original swords.
Jay Barron

PostPosted: Sat 25 Mar, 2006 10:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here is Dr. Jones with his viking sword...

The sword has a 31" blade and is dated 950-1050 A.D.

Attachment: 118.13 KB
[ Download ]

Constant and true.
Hisham Gaballa

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Sun 26 Mar, 2006 5:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jay Barron wrote:

Thanks for all the great pictures.

Hmm, swords in a pub, why does that sound dangerous? Big Grin
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Sun 26 Mar, 2006 5:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jay, Thanks for the great pictures. I recognize a little of what you brought, but could you give us a roster?
"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Jay Barron

PostPosted: Sun 26 Mar, 2006 7:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve Grisetti wrote:
Jay, Thanks for the great pictures. I recognize a little of what you brought, but could you give us a roster?

No problem..

Okay, in the first pic on the left is the Al Massey/Albion Celtic anthro leafblade. Below that is an ArmArt early Scottish dirk (it was the first one they made and a custom order by me.) On the right is a Tinker Wakefield sword. Below that is an Arms & Armor knightly riding sword.

In the second pic on the left is a Himalayan Imports 20" Sirupati by kami Kumar. On top is the Jody Samson Carolingian sword. On the bottom is my pattern welded leafie. Al Massey forged the blade and Glen Parrell made the cable damascus hilt.

Constant and true.
Gary Grzybek

PostPosted: Sun 26 Mar, 2006 11:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jay Barron wrote:

Oh yea!

I got to play with that one quite a bit. What a fine sword it is. Dr. Jones was kind enough to bring some of his collection to my longsword workshop some years back. We actually brought them out to dinner with us Laughing Out Loud

Gary Grzybek
ARMA Northern N.J.
www.armastudy.org
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sun 26 Mar, 2006 7:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Good stuff there!
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
G. Scott H.

PostPosted: Sun 26 Mar, 2006 7:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mmmmm....that bronze hilted Knightly Riding Sword is beautiful. Happy After reading Chad's review, in which he noted some handling troubles he experienced due to his lack of comfort/familiarity with the grip, I've been curious how it handles in another person's hands, someone who's had more time with the sword or who is more comfortable with its grip. I've read elsewhere that while the sword is smaller than one would guess from pictures it actually cuts with authority. Could you comment on this, Jay? Also, what's the tip control like in the thrust? Thanks. Happy
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 27 Mar, 2006 6:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

G. Scott H. wrote:
Mmmmm....that bronze hilted Knightly Riding Sword is beautiful. Happy After reading Chad's review, in which he noted some handling troubles he experienced due to his lack of comfort/familiarity with the grip, I've been curious how it handles in another person's hands, someone who's had more time with the sword or who is more comfortable with its grip. I've read elsewhere that while the sword is smaller than one would guess from pictures it actually cuts with authority. Could you comment on this, Jay? Also, what's the tip control like in the thrust? Thanks. Happy

Scott,
Please keep in mind that Jay's bronze-hilted version will likely handle differently than the steel one. Bronze is heavier, which may pull the POB back (which usually gives less blade presence and more tip control) or change the handling all together. The bronze A&A Henry V I had weighed several ounces more than the steel version. Similarly, my bronze-hilted Sovereign has about 2 ounces on the steel version.

Looking at the grip in the one pictured, it looks like it may be wider than the one I got as a review sample, but it's hard to tell. Since it's bronze-hilted, though, it's not a new model. A&A stopped offering bronze fittings a while back.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/

Last edited by Chad Arnow on Mon 27 Mar, 2006 7:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Matthew D M

PostPosted: Mon 27 Mar, 2006 7:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

WOW!

Eek!

Lots of antiques!

Jay,

Who is the maker of the falchion(?) in your first photo? How does it handle, etc, etc?
G. Scott H.

PostPosted: Mon 27 Mar, 2006 11:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:

Scott,
Please keep in mind that Jay's bronze-hilted version will likely handle differently than the steel one. Bronze is heavier, which may pull the POB back (which usually gives less blade presence and more tip control) or change the handling all together. The bronze A&A Henry V I had weighed several ounces more than the steel version. Similarly, my bronze-hilted Sovereign has about 2 ounces on the steel version.

Looking at the grip in the one pictured, it looks like it may be wider than the one I got as a review sample, but it's hard to tell. Since it's bronze-hilted, though, it's not a new model. A&A stopped offering bronze fittings a while back.

Wow! I didn't realize there was such a weight difference between bronze and steel, though I do recall reading about your Henry V being a bit heavier now that you mention it. Eek! Thanks for the info. Happy
Jay Barron

PostPosted: Mon 27 Mar, 2006 2:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

G. Scott H. wrote:

It's funny you should comment on the knightly riding sword. Out of all the swords in my meager collection, the knightly riding sword is the most often overlooked and ignored whenever I attend/host a gathering. That is, until people test cut with it. It is only then does the sword become appreciated. Actually, I can't understand that because, although the sword is relatively simple and understated, it's proportions are perfect and the look (IMO) is very elegant. As far as handling is concerned, I find the sword to be one of the most comfortable I own. It's light and lively but still has the feel of a serious cutting blade. The grip is unusually shaped but is extremely comfortable and secure feeling in my big paws. Since I haven't handled a steel hilted version I can't comment on any differences. It's one of the easiest swords with which to cut well. User friendly is a good way to describe it. The blade width allows it to track quite accurately through a target. The balance is forward enough to allow for an authoratative feeling, yet balanced enough for tip cutting and minor mid-strike adjustments. I would label this sword more of a cutter than a thruster based on it's balance, but I have used it for thrusting into a few unfortunate pumpkins and it fares very well. Honestly, I might be inclined to say this is my favorite sword for cutting. When I think about the first sword I'd grab if I were to actually need to use a sword, the knightly riding sword is the one that most often comes to mind. I know I sound like I'm gushing, but I think this often forgotten little sword deserves it.

Constant and true.
Jay Barron

PostPosted: Mon 27 Mar, 2006 3:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Matthew D M wrote:

...Who is the maker of the falchion(?) in your first photo? How does it handle, etc, etc?

That sword was made by Michael "Tinker" Pearce. It's his interpretation of a sword found at the battle of Wakefield in 1460. It's really more of a back sword than a falchion. It's quite light but the balance is definitely forward biased making it a very hard hitter relative to it's size. Surprizingly, it feels pretty controlable when tip cutting as well. The firsst quarter of the top edge is actually sharpened allowing for back cutting and better thrusting. My one complaint is the smooth wood used for the grip. After several minutes of test cutting, it can become a bit slippery. I'd bet gloves would help but I haven't tried them.

Constant and true.
Jay Barron

PostPosted: Mon 27 Mar, 2006 4:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Danny Grigg wrote:
Jay

Nice looking pics, thanks for posting.

Do you have any more pics of those sexy axes?

Any information and stats on them would be appreicated too.

Thanks

Danny

I believe all those axes belong to Mercenary's Tailor. They may have more specific stats. I can tell you that they are heavy! Definitely meant for crushing helms

Constant and true.
G. Scott H.

PostPosted: Mon 27 Mar, 2006 5:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jay Barron wrote:
[It's funny you should comment on the knightly riding sword. Out of all the swords in my meager collection, the knightly riding sword is the most often overlooked and ignored whenever I attend/host a gathering. That is, until people test cut with it.

Just like Craig Johnson's comments at the end of Chad's review where he said that it was the last sword that people at the shows would handle, but that they loved it after they got a chance to hold it. I'll freely admit that I thought the KRS was an ugly little beast when I first saw it in the reviews section, but it has continued to grow on me to the point where I now see an (as you put it) elegantly simplistic little sword. In fact (man, Craig's gonna be shaking his head if he reads this Laughing Out Loud ), I have been discussing the Henry V with Craig recently and had totally decided on it, but...the KRS keeps calling to me. I can't seem to get it out of my mind, and it's giving me serious doubts about the Henry! Eek! Laughing Out Loud

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Pics from the NY round table gathering last fall...
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: