It ain't "Knight vs. Samurai"...
But it is a variation on that old saw. Can anyone discuss how the various swords of the various Crusades compared to their Islamic couterparts?

I'm not really interested in the "who would win" discussion, by the way. I'm thinking about quality of steel, forging, construction, design, and the like.

Andrew
Good Question
Andrew,

Don't have the foggiest of an answer, but I think it is an interesting question, and I look forward to gleaning some knowledge. Manoucher I know enjoys Mid-East/Persian style blades, though I do not know of what time frames, perhaps he or others will shed some light.

James
Re: It ain't "Knight vs. Samurai"...
Andrew Winston wrote:
But it is a variation on that old saw. Can anyone discuss how the various swords of the various Crusades compared to their Islamic couterparts?

I'm not really interested in the "who would win" discussion, by the way. I'm thinking about quality of steel, forging, construction, design, and the like.

Andrew

Hi Andrew
I don't know much, but from earlier discussions on this, at the time of the early crusades swords would have been of similar design on both sides (straight double edged). The, perhaps to us more characteristic, curved middle eastern type blades were a later development (and that is my vast second hand knowledge all used up).
Geoff
Re: It ain't "Knight vs. Samurai"...
Geoff Wood wrote:

Hi Andrew
I don't know much, but from earlier discussions on this, at the time of the early crusades swords would have been of similar design on both sides (straight double edged). The, perhaps to us more characteristic, curved middle eastern type blades were a later development (and that is my vast second hand knowledge all used up).
Geoff

Hi Geoff. That is my understanding as well. I wonder, then, if there was really any significant difference in construction technology, or even use.
Kind of a tangent on this subject but after just reading a couple of books on the Mongol invasions of post crusade muslim controlled lands (the sac of Babylon etc.) I wonder if the curved style of swords was introduced in that manner?

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: