Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > myArmoury.com Features Talk > Ride Away with a New Sword Contest!Contest
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next 
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 17 Nov, 2003 11:24 am    Post subject: Ride Away with a New Sword Contest!         Reply with quote

Ride Away with a New Sword Contest!

We're giving away a Riding Sword from Albion Armorers to one lucky myArmoury.com member!

This straight, double-edged sword is based on Albion's popular forged Riding Sword. It's intended as a back-up sidearm for civilian wear when traveling and hunting. The blade is hand-ground 1075 steel with a handmade mild steel guard and pommel. The grip has a stabilized wooden core and is wrapped with cord under leather. Blued fittings and oxblood leather complete the package. The blade is etched with the myArmoury.com logo on one side. This piece is one of only 25 of these Limited Edition swords created and has a value of around $400 US.

Overall length: 32.25"; Blade length: 25.875"; Blade width (at base): 1.5"; CoG: 4.125"; CoP: 17"; Weight: 2 lbs

Click any image above to see the full-sized photograph

HOW TO ENTER:

1. Ensure you're a registered member of myArmoury.com

2. Three questions will be presented. Send your answers to contests@myArmoury.com (do not post answers on the forums)

3. Make a post in this topic introducing yourself, describing your current sword collection, and outlining your collecting interests

THE QUESTIONS:

All answers can be found within the myArmoury.com features section.

DO NOT POST THE ANSWERS ON THE FORUMS!
    Send your answers to contests@myArmoury.com

1. Which weapon, used by early hoplites and Roman legionaries, is believed to have developed from the falcata?

2. Fulvio Del Tin has two brothers. What are their names?

3. Name a distinctive style of helmet popularized in Europe by Polish Hussars.

Entries must be sent prior to Monday, December 15th, 2003. All participants with the most correct answers will be entered into a drawing and a winning name will be randomly selected. The winner will be announced on December 15th, 2003. Shipping charges will then be calculated, and upon receipt of said shipping charges, the sword will be sent out upon return from my vacation in early January.

Good luck to everyone!!

Rules and limitations:

1. You must be a registered member of myArmoury.com to enter
  2. You must be at least 18 years old or have parental consent to win and receive the sword
  3. If you are under 18 years old, please mention this while sending your answers in
  4. myArmoury.com team members and employees of Albion are not eligible to win
  5. The winner must agree to pay actual shipping charges for the sword as shipped from California
  6. Make it fun for everyone. Please do not share or discuss the answers
  7. Only one entry per person is allowed

Disclaimer: myArmoury.com and its associates assume no responsibility for injury, damage or loss incurred by use of the winning sword. Compliance to local, state, and federal laws and/or statutes is the responsibility of the contest winner. Receipt of prize implies agreement to the above statements by the winner.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.

Last edited by Nathan Robinson on Tue 02 Dec, 2003 10:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 17 Nov, 2003 12:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey folks,
I'm Chad Arnow, musician and part-time programmer/DBA. I'm interested mainly in historical reproductions. I'm more a collector, and less of a test-cutter. I currently have 5 swords, 2 helms, and a few daggers:

Del Tin 2142 w/custom scabbard
Del Tin 2150 (customized) w/custom scabbard
Del Tin 2172 (customized) w/custom scabbard
Arms and Armor Henry V
Arms and Armor classic dagger
Arms and Armor Elector of Saxony parrying dagger
ArmArt S4 (customized)
Armour Class Cup and Ring basket hilt w/custom scabbard
Vince Evans dirk with etched blade
Scotia Metalworks sgian dubh
Kirby Wise/Art Elwell sgian achles w/custom scabbard
Windlass great helm
Windlass Burgonet

I've also had two Tinker dirks, two Tinker swords, a Windlass or two, a Chen, and 5 or 6 Del Tin's pass through my collection, but sold them all for one reason or another (usually to finance other purchases).

You can see pics of my collection by clicking "Visit WWW" at the bottom of this post.

Happy

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Lee Watts

PostPosted: Mon 17 Nov, 2003 1:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi
My names Lee im from a little Village in the heart of WALES ,UK and i love SWORDS and Welsh castles.

I haven't got that many decent swords except my lovely ALBION ACRE. but i love single handed and 2 handed swords from around 1000 to 1500. And i'm already saving up for some albion Next gens.
Joachim Nilsson

PostPosted: Mon 17 Nov, 2003 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Ride Away with a New Sword Contest!         Reply with quote

Hey Nathan,
Can a Swede enter that contest? Razz Razz Or is it for US residents only? Worried Worried
Geoff Freeman

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Mon 17 Nov, 2003 1:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My name is Geoff Freeman, and I am a student at the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater. I am more of a collecter than a practictioner, however, I do practice German longsword and Spanish rapier.

My collection right now:
A BudK wallhanger
Sport fencing sabre and epee
Albion Acre type XII
Albion Crecy Grete Swerde
(forthcoming) Custom Armour Class sword
(forthcoming) Custom Darkwood Armoury cup-hilt rapier

Best,

Geoffrey C. Freeman
Durendal Fencing Club
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 17 Nov, 2003 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Ride Away with a New Sword Contest!         Reply with quote

Joachim Nilsson wrote:
Hey Nathan,
Can a Swede enter that contest? Razz Razz Or is it for US residents only? Worried Worried

Yes. Anyone can enter. If the winner's country won't allow me to send in a sword, we'll have a problem, though. Heh.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Jon Barber

PostPosted: Mon 17 Nov, 2003 2:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jon Barber, from Arizona.

I wouldn't call it a collection really, but my wife and I have:

2 stock Darkwood armory rapiers
1 custom Darkwood rapier
2 Darkwood sideswords
2 Darkwood ring daggers
couple of epees on Amfence rigs for SCA use
2 CASI practical longswords

We use all of these regularly for training. Buying sharps has to wait until we're stocked up on practice weapons - only 2 spadroons and 2 backswords away...
Sebastian Szykier

PostPosted: Mon 17 Nov, 2003 2:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello,

My name is Sebastian, I live in the Eastern United States and I am a amateur weapons collector.
My collection is compromised of swords purchased through Windlass Steel Crafts and Del Tin, as well as unknown sword makers from poland and the middle east. I am primarily interested in swords from 1000 to 1300 A.D. as I prefer the classic cruciform style. My collection has the following:

Windlass Late Norman Sword with Brazil Nut Pommel.
Windlass Palace Guard sword
Del Tin unsure of the model.
Common sword from afghanistan
Nazi Officers Sword
3 Polish cavalry blades (reproduction?)
1 Plain Foil

Some Chain Mail.
Miniature Plate Armour mainly from Polish Hussars.

I am looking at purchasing additional items from the Del Tin collection.
Luke M.

PostPosted: Mon 17 Nov, 2003 2:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm Luke, and I live near Austin, Texas. I've been avidly interested in swords for as long as I can remember, but only recently have been able to get a few. So far I have:
The Sword of Dracula
The Sword of Tigris
The Sword of Maximus
The Sword of Ulrich

All made by Windlass. As far as my collecting interests go, if its sharp and pointy, I'll most likely like it, with the exception of arabic and chinese blades, they just don't do it for me. Pretty much anything else is right up my alley. My next purchase will be a custom by John Lundemo, just as soon as I finish scrapping together the money (soon, very soon.....).
Brian Hunt

PostPosted: Mon 17 Nov, 2003 2:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi all,

Brian Hunt From Utah.

I have a wide interest in swords in general, but do not have a superb collection by any means.

I have 5 schlager blades hilted with rapier baskets I did myself for SCA rapier combat, I have a single handed generic cruciform style sword I built myself from 5160 with a brass cross and pommel and a snakewood hilt, I have a cas ibera longsword that is overly hilt heavy, a wwII officers katana, a ninja-to from when I was a teenager during the ninja craze of the 80's, and a cheap samurai sword from the philipines that I have completly redone the habiki, the tsuba, and the hilt that I use for my JSA training. I am awaiting a del tin 5162 sword that I just won in an auction and I am looking forward to recieving this weapon. I also have a roman pillum, and a few medieval style daggers. Not to mention several wasters, and a lot of armour I have built myself, both chain and plate. I am looking to add a decent longsword to my collection in the future, and I am currently working on a leaf bladed roman gladius that I am slowly forging out of 5160 (meaning when I actually get time to work on it). After I get the gladius done, I will either try my hand at a viking style sword, or a 16th century cut and thrust, then just because I want to attempt it I will begin work on a long sword. Kind of working my way up the scale so to speak.

I think that about covers it.

ARMA member.

Last edited by Brian Hunt on Wed 19 Nov, 2003 9:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Christian Henry Tobler

PostPosted: Mon 17 Nov, 2003 2:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello, I'm Christian Tobler. I'm the author of "Secrets of German Medieval Swordsmanship", a researcher and teacher of Western Martial Arts and a co-founder and Grand Master of the Order of Selohaar. In addition to writing, I do scientific programming, product development, marketing, and web design.

My current collection includes:

Armour:
- Christian Fletcher built German High Gothic full armour
- (mostly) Christian Fletcher built late 14th C. armour after the Churburg #13 harness, with maille elements by Vistar Armoury and Black Prince Armoury
- Hybrid late 15th C. gothic armour including a Windlass gothic cuirass, Sallet, and Christian Fletcher limbs
- Coat of Plates & Kettle Helm by Brian Price (featured in his book "Techniques of Medieval Armour Reproduction")
- 16th C. Half armour from Windlass
- Robert MacPherson Pembridge Great Helm (vintage 1986)
- Three different Windlass Great Helms
- Windlass Kettle helm, Burgonet, Morion, Open face sallet, and Barbute
- Sundry demi-gauntlets
- Maille skirt by Vistar Armoury
- Maille Coif by Black Prince Armoury
- Riveted maille hauberk from Raffaello Mazzeschi in Italy
- Various soft armours including Gambesons by Revival Clothing (who I model and do web design for) and Historic Enterprises
- Plaque belts, spurs, and assorted other knightly panoply

Swords:
- Del Tin's: 2130, 2140, 2153, 2164, 5130, 5140, 5143, 5150, one MRL arming sword with a DT blade that isn't currently catalogued
- Johann Schmidberger Landesknecht Two-Hander
- Windlass two-hander
- Windlass Black Prince sword
- Windlass Cut & Thrust sword w/companion dagger
- Pair of Arms and Armour Manufacture longsword blunts
- Pair of David Baker aluminum practice Fechtbuch swords

Other Weapons:
- Windlass battleaxe and war hammer
- Unknown maker two-handed war hammer
- Del Tin Sempach Halberd
- Arms & Armor Knightly Pollaxe
- Several spears of varying manufacture
- Two medieval handgonnes
- New World Arbalest Crossbow
- Sundry daggers
- Various shields and bucklers

I'm sure I've missed something...but this is most of the good stuff.

All the best,
Christian
Joachim Nilsson

PostPosted: Mon 17 Nov, 2003 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Ride Away with a New Sword Contest!         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
Joachim Nilsson wrote:
Hey Nathan,

Yes. Anyone can enter. If the winner's country won't allow me to send in a sword, we'll have a problem, though. Heh.

Sweet. Razz Don't think that will pose any kind of problem. We order swords and other medieval weaponry from foreign countries all the time. Big Grin The only kind of weapon that could pose a serious problem would probably be a crossbow. Which is cleary not the thing in question here. One might get slammed with a pretty hefty demand for money from customs though... Worried

Excellent website byt the way. Can't get enough of all the available material. Excellent rescource. Especially all the photo-albums. Big Grin

Regards,
Joachim.
Gabriel Lebec
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 32 books

PostPosted: Mon 17 Nov, 2003 2:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello! I'm Gabriel Lebec, currently living in Washington D.C. I occasionally post at SFI or Bugei's boards, but this is, I believe, my first post here. I just began practicing Nakamura-ryu batto-do under Mr. Dave Drawdy.

Although I currently only study nihonto, I enjoy beautiful swords from almost all eras and cultures. I've often been tempted to get a few western swords - a floral swept hilt rapier à la Phoenix Metal Creations, a nice bastard sword with type V pommel à la Peter Johnsson, or a Ranger... drool...

My current collection consists of the Hanwei Bushido daisho and tanto, which I'm actually going to sell rather soon. On the waiting list to be polished is a tanto by Howard Clark, and a tanto by Enomoto Tatsuyoshi was just delivered to my home up in CT. I can't wait to get back and take some photos of that beauty to post for you all. Big Grin
Brad Dunn

PostPosted: Mon 17 Nov, 2003 2:53 pm    Post subject: i love this sword         Reply with quote

hello my name is brad dunn and i only have 5 swords but theyre all atrim and albion here is what i have
atrim ranger sword
at1450
at1523
fmlb
albion rouen hand and a half

i would love to add this sword to my collection because swords are my life and im pretty broke right now and dont got the cash to buy a new one but it would make a great christmas present from you guys Big Grin
Shawn Mulock

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Mon 17 Nov, 2003 2:53 pm    Post subject: Hello.         Reply with quote

I'm Shawn Mulock. I am currently involved in security as an officer and part time advisor. My interest in swords came to the fore as a young man playing D&D back in the 70's and 80's. Last November my interest in swords was rekindled and I have begun training in earnest with a group here in Calgary. I am relatively new to the world of swords and have been learning a lot since I first signed on.

My collection consists of:
Lutel 15010 longsword
Kukhri Knife
Warlord Sword wall hanger, which I paid entirely too much for.

I was going to say that my interest lay in renaissance weapons and armour, but upon reflection I realized that I have an interest in many types and eras of armament ranging up to the end of the 16th century.

"It is not what you have, but what you have done".
Chuck Perino

PostPosted: Mon 17 Nov, 2003 2:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chuck Perino from Roseburg Oregon, the jewel of the Northwest!

My collection is currently small, I have an older model albion Pompeii Gladius, and a Floral-hilted rapier/poignard set created by Phoenix Metal Creations.

I am leaning towards complex and basket hilted swords lately, but I am temped daily by all time periods!
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 17 Nov, 2003 3:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi my name is........................

On never mind. Darned rule #4 Big Grin

Good luck to all!
Keith Kipferl

PostPosted: Mon 17 Nov, 2003 3:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
On never mind. Darned rule #4 Big Grin

LOL! Them's the breaks, Patrick. Big Grin

Hey folks,

I'm Keith Kipferl in Elmira, New York.

My humble collection includes:
Angus Trim/Christian Fletcher Gothic XVIIIb
Del Tin German Bastard
MRL Leignitz
J. F. Schroeder Musketeer Main Gauche (your collection info is out of date, Nathan. Wink )
Tinker Pierce dagger
Glen Parrell dagger
Tibetan Kukri
1903 Springfield bayonet
several swords and daggers not worth mentioning
Buddy Reese

PostPosted: Mon 17 Nov, 2003 3:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi..My Name is Buddy Reese

I am a computer Engineer.
Hobbies, include, art, music (guitar) and of course weapons...

Swords I own.
Atrim 15th Century Mercinary
Cold steel hand and a half
Chen Tiger Katana
Chen Musashi Katana
Chen PK kat
Chen Oriole Kat
Chen Banshee DHA
Kriss cutlery Kat (both)
CHen DAO broadsword

Life is Zen, So are Swords.
Stephen A. Fisher

PostPosted: Mon 17 Nov, 2003 3:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi I'm Stephen Fisher,

Student at Western Kentucky University, recently joined the Army National Guard. I'm a fencer and collector of antique and reproduction edged weapons.

A few highlights from my collection:

18th century smallsword
18th century brass hanger
p1796 Light Cavalry Sabre
2 antique fencing foils
1 Antique fencing epee

Hanwei Scottish smallsword
MRL German Rapier
Darkwood Armoury Pappenheimer rapier
American Fencers Supply Co. rapier-foil (customized)
Del Tin Late 16th century parrying dagger

to name a few...

on the way....
Sal D' Aquila Highlander Musashi (thanks to Jason Dingledine)

on order.....
A smallsword by Erik Stevenson of Phoenix Metal Creations

Last edited by Stephen A. Fisher on Tue 18 Nov, 2003 8:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

Forum Index > myArmoury.com Features Talk > Ride Away with a New Sword Contest!Contest
Page 1 of 6
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: