Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Saying hello, and a few questions Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Joe Loder

PostPosted: Fri 10 Mar, 2006 10:01 am    Post subject: Saying hello, and a few questions         Reply with quote

Greetings,

First off I’d like to apologize in advance for asking these questions that have probably been addressed innumerable times already. After about 20 minutes of wrangling with the search function I decided to give up on that route for now, and instead turn to you fine folks.

I have a few questions on the care and feeding of the two MRL pieces that I have. Now I know that they aren’t something flashy or well….useful like an Albion/Atrim/A&A/Insert REALLY nice swordmaker here but they were what I could afford at the time.

I have a Schrewsbury (not a clue if I spelled that right) sword and a quillon dagger thus far. I’ve read some posts regarding removing the lacquer from the blade as being a good thing, but am at a loss as to how to do that. What I’m planning on using this sword for is primarily display/costume, perhaps some light cutting if it won’t destroy the sword, and forms excercises. Any suggestions that you folks would have of what to do with this piece to accomplish my above goals would be greatly appreciated.

My dagger is starting to develop a small rust spot on the pommel that I would like to remove but I’m not sure if sanding would do the trick or make it worse. I plan to use this piece primarily for costume/display use. Perhaps sharpening one edge when I can convince myself that I won’t destroy the blade trying to sharpen it.

My final question is about future sharp objects to hopefully come into my possesion. I’m primarily interested in European weapons from the 13th to 15th centuries. I’m wanting to acquire a single hand sword, and hand and a half sword in the next year or so. I’ve been looking at the ATrim 1402 and Atrim 1592 as both are within my price range and look to be very solid pieces. These I’m planning on using for cutting and (careful) practice. I read the review on the AT1592 which helped push it into the lead choice for it’s type, I was wondering if anyone had experience with the AT1402?

Your input and the loan of your brain cells is greatly appreciated. I’m looking forward to reading more on this forum.

Cheers!
Joe Loder

He who laughs last, thinks fastest.
-------------------------------------------------------------
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 10 Mar, 2006 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Saying hello, and a few questions         Reply with quote

Joe Loder wrote:

I have a Schrewsbury (not a clue if I spelled that right) sword and a quillon dagger thus far. I’ve read some posts regarding removing the lacquer from the blade as being a good thing, but am at a loss as to how to do that. What I’m planning on using this sword for is primarily display/costume, perhaps some light cutting if it won’t destroy the sword, and forms excercises. Any suggestions that you folks would have of what to do with this piece to accomplish my above goals would be greatly appreciated.

My dagger is starting to develop a small rust spot on the pommel that I would like to remove but I’m not sure if sanding would do the trick or make it worse. I plan to use this piece primarily for costume/display use. Perhaps sharpening one edge when I can convince myself that I won’t destroy the blade trying to sharpen it.

Joe,
Hello and welcome to myArmoury.com. Happy There is good information on some of your questions in these two articles from our Features Page:

Care and Maintenance of the Modern Replica

and

The Instant Antique

Those will get you started with care and varnish removal. For removing the varnish, some sort of chemical stripping agent will help, but some elbow grease will also be necessary. Happy Apply the lacquer stripped according to its instructions, then use steel wool as Sean suggests in his article.

For rust removal, try a combination of grey Scotchbrite pads and a metal polish like MetalGlo. If there is actual pitting of the metal, you may need to get more aggressive, using green Scotchbrite or various grades of sandpaper.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Fri 10 Mar, 2006 11:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If you don't already have it, I strongly encourage you to get a copy of Ewart Oakeshott's Records of the Medieval Sword before buying your next sword. If the price seems high, just imagine how much it'll cost you to buy a sword and then realize that it's not what you wanted in terms of historical accuracy. The book will give you an excellent introduction to medieval sword form, funtion and vital statistics. Whether you ultimately decide to embrace historical form or go with modern design and construction, you'll be a much more informed consumer when you go shopping, and that's good for both you and the community as a whole. Spend $31.50 to save several hundreds, and take advantage of the classified ads on this site. There are some wonderful bargains there on fine reproductions. It's also a good place to sell parts of your collection that no longer "fit".

Good Luck Big Grin

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Saying hello, and a few questions
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic