Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Cheap rapiers: MRL vs. CASI Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Eric Gerry

PostPosted: Thu 02 Mar, 2006 12:49 pm    Post subject: Cheap rapiers: MRL vs. CASI         Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I may be in the market for a rapier in the $200-$250 price range and could use some input before coming to a final decision. First, regarding MRL's pieces, are the hilts of a reasonable size or are they gigantic "one size fits all" affairs? Also, are the bone grips really bone, or is it just plastic? I'm a little disappointed in their current selection, especially now that it's missing that brass-hilted one with the wire grip, but their swept-hilt with grooved bone grip is in ahead in the running.

Now, I just discovered the new CASI pieces the other night, and they seem to beat out MRL's stuff in the aesthetics department. I can't seem to find any reviews of them on the various fora yet, but does anyone here have any experience with them? Again, how big are the hilts?

Thanks in advance,

Eric Gerry
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Thu 02 Mar, 2006 1:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I generally hear good things about recent CASI rapiers. Everything from MRL is hit-and-miss, and I don't have any experience with rapiers in their current catalog. However, I do have one of their German Rapiers and love it. It's based on a well-documented piece in the Wallace Collection and is one of the few repro rapiers with a nice, long blade (42"). This site seems to have both the German and the brass-hilt rapier I think you're talking about:

http://www.medieval-weaponry.com/index.html?l...=d551.html

You can probably find both of these officially discontinued weapons on the used market if you're patient.

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Aaron Schneiker

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Thu 02 Mar, 2006 2:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have the steel swept hilt from MRL with a bone handle that is pictured below. Aesthetically its a nice piece, but other than that I wouldn't recommend it. I've had the sword for about 6 yrs maybe and in that time i've only hadled it a few times (meaning I take it off the wall and swing it around a bit). In that time the bone handle has managed to form a rather large crack. I think this is because the threaded pommel "sandwiched" the bone grip a little too tightly causing too much stress? Also the sword is listed at 2 1/8 lb. I haven't measured the weight, but I would guess that it is more like 3-3.5 lb. It feels a bit on the heavy side. Other than that, it looks good on the wall.

Attachment: 26.73 KB
0500094_L_000.jpg

Eric Gerry

PostPosted: Thu 02 Mar, 2006 7:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks, guys! Based on that, I'm starting to lean towards Hanwei's "Torino". Though I'm wondering if the edges come sharpened or just the point, as with my old GT-1024. Can anyone recommend a dealer who offers sharpening services? And again, if anyone can fill me in on the size of the hilt, I'd be very grateful!

Eric
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Thu 02 Mar, 2006 8:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Eric Gerry wrote:
Thanks, guys! Based on that, I'm starting to lean towards Hanwei's "Torino". Though I'm wondering if the edges come sharpened or just the point, as with my old GT-1024.

The newer rapiers I've seen from Hanwei have semi-sharp edges, as do many originals. Sharp enough to cut to the muscle on a forearm, or do a number on someone's forehead, but not razors by any means. They're also slightly sharper towards the tip and get progressively less sharp as the edge continues to the hilt.

HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
Edward Hitchens

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Thu 02 Mar, 2006 8:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey Eric,

I have only one rapier in my collection but it was my first sword ever: a Windlass rapier I've had for about 8 years now. I don't use it for anything other than costume at Renaissance faire, but there's not a speck of rust on it and it is very comfortable to hold. You would likely find one like it on By The Sword or someplace like that. You may also want to try swordarmory.com. Happy

Ted

"The whole art of government consists in the art of being honest." Thomas Jefferson
David Lindberg

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Thu 02 Mar, 2006 10:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I really cannot recommend the new line of Hanwei rapiers (of which the Torino is the one I have). At least mine is horribly flexible, more so even that my fencing foil. It would take some impressive technique to thrust into anything more resilient than a milk jug...
I could be wrong, they may have changed their standards for the blades, or I could just be wrong in expecting a relatively stiff blade.
Hope it helps,
Dave
Edward Hitchens

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Fri 03 Mar, 2006 8:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David Lindberg wrote:
I really cannot recommend the new line of Hanwei rapiers (of which the Torino is the one I have). At least mine is horribly flexible, more so even that my fencing foil.

I think I know the ones you're talking about. They're balanced quite nicely, but the blades are almost as flimsey as a tape measure! Surprised

"The whole art of government consists in the art of being honest." Thomas Jefferson
Jim Mearkle

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Fri 03 Mar, 2006 3:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You should consider saving up a bit longer for a Darkwood. For not a lot more than what your planning on spending, you can get a fully functional semi-custom rapier.
Jim

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Cheap rapiers: MRL vs. CASI
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic