Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Anyone know if Hollow Earth Swordworks makes good wasters? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Carl Goff

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Mon 27 Feb, 2006 8:03 am    Post subject: Anyone know if Hollow Earth Swordworks makes good wasters?         Reply with quote

I might go to the local Ren Fest in a week or two, so I checked out their "artisans" list, and Hollow Earth was mentioned there. Googling reveals that they make longsword wasters for about the same price as Purpleheart Armoury, which I've been meaning to order from for a while. If I'm going to be at the Fest anyway, it's worth considering buying from them to save myself the shipping fees.

Does anyone have any experience with this company's products? What's the general quality like? Balance? Durability? Do they compare favorably to stuff from Purpleheart?

Oh, East of sands and sunlit gulf, your blood is thin, your gods are few;
You could not break the Northern wolf and now the wolf has turned on you.
The fires that light the coasts of Spain fling shadows on the Eastern strand.
Master, your slave has come again with torch and axe in his right hand!
-Robert E. Howard
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 27 Feb, 2006 8:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If you're able to get it in person, then the longsword wasters good. Solid and well built, and they'll take a licking. From my experience they're about on par with Purpleheart in terms of durability. Some of the grips tend to be a bit wider than I'd prefer, but not excessively. The single handers I've handled are too light, but they seem to have many models, so I don't know if that's true across the board.

I've found it's impossible to order through them via e-mail (I've never gotten a response from them), but since you'll be able to check them out in person, I say go for it.

HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
Mark Mattimore

Reading list: 41 books

PostPosted: Mon 27 Feb, 2006 10:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have one of their bastard sword wasters. It is of very good quality and is well balanced and finished. I can't really compare to Purpleheart, however. I also have one of their belt frogs. Good quality and a very original design.

Don't try and order through their website or e-mail. Just call them. They told me that the website is horribly out of date and they never check that e-mail account anymore. The phone number, however, is correct and they're very nice to deal with.

In omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro.

Last edited by Mark Mattimore on Mon 27 Feb, 2006 9:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Allen Johnson

Reading list: 29 books

PostPosted: Mon 27 Feb, 2006 10:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I didnt have a good experience with them. Delayed orders, shipping mess ups and then when I finally got it, it was the wrong waster. Issues were never resolved. I felt they were not very professional in dealing with these issues. However, if you can get it in person alot of that may be avoided.
Eric Nower

PostPosted: Mon 27 Feb, 2006 11:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I agree if you can get one in person, its far better than waiting for it. I ended up ordering from purpleheart because of a 2 month wait period.
May God have mercy on my enemies, for I shall have none.
Jeff Hsieh

PostPosted: Mon 27 Feb, 2006 3:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello Carl,

I got two years of good service out of their basic longsword waster until it broke. When it was new the waster was pretty well balanced for a wooden sword. I'd guess 2.5 pounds, balancing at about 7" from the cross. It would dent from time to time but it wouldn't really splinter. The finish work was well done and subtly attractive.

I remember the ordering process being a pain though. The sword actually sat in their office for about three weeks because someone forgot about it. If you don't mind possible delay, then Hollow Earth makes a good sword.
Gary Grzybek

PostPosted: Mon 27 Feb, 2006 5:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Most of what I handled was too thick and blade heavy although they seem to be very well made. I did handle a Viking sword and a Side Sword that would have gone home with me if it weren't for the boss Sad They handled very nice Big Grin
Gary Grzybek
ARMA Northern N.J.
www.armastudy.org
Jared Smith

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Mon 27 Feb, 2006 8:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have a very solid "longsword" from them. This was one of the ARMA approved ones with a simple ball pommel. Grip length was 9" (about 228 mm.)

Everyone in my ARMA group joked about the weight (no taper) and referred to it as "the fence post." Luckily, the wood was excellent (very straight grained and free of defects.) I was able to sand and shape a taper and a fuller into it and some distal taper of the profile. Now it feels as good as any other I have tried.

I also have a Purpleheart Armoury waster. The wood was not quite as uniform (rather exotic in contrasting colors actually), but the shape (weight distribution) and handling was excellent as shipped.

Absence of evidence is not necessarily evidence of absence!
Allen Johnson

Reading list: 29 books

PostPosted: Wed 01 Mar, 2006 1:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

recently I picked up one of the New Stirling Arms longsword wasters and LOVE IT!

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Anyone know if Hollow Earth Swordworks makes good wasters?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic