Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Page 74, Swords of the Viking Age Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Kenton Spaulding

Reading list: 12 books

PostPosted: Mon 27 Feb, 2006 2:23 pm    Post subject: Page 74, Swords of the Viking Age         Reply with quote

I am looking for more information on the sword appearing on page 74-75 of Swords of the Viking Age, by Ian Peirce. The sword is in the Musee de l'Armee in Paris, (at least it was when the book was published) and is cataloged as JPO 2262. I found their web site, but, unable to speak French, it wasn't of much value to me. Does anyone know of any other publications featuring this particular sword? Anybody research this sword in the past? Anyone have any comments at all they would like to share regarding this sword? I would be interested in virtually any type of input (assuming it is somewhat related to this sword of course). If any French speakers wanted to poke around the Musee de l'Armee's web site the address is http://www.invalides.org/

Hopefully this is a sword which interests more than just me.

Kenton
Darwin Todd

PostPosted: Mon 27 Feb, 2006 2:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Can you post a picture?
Kenton Spaulding

PostPosted: Mon 27 Feb, 2006 3:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Unfortunately I can't post a picture. At least not at the moment. I've looked all over the 'net but haven't been able to find JPO 2262. It is in my book, but I don't have access to a scanner. I'm not sure on the copyright laws either.

In anycase, I just find this sword to be interesting. The blade is flared near the hilt, which is pretty interesting in my opinion. Usually on Viking swords the edges are basically parallel. I think this wide (6 cm), flared blade really adds character to the sword. Peirce proposes that this sword could have been longer at one point, and then intentionally shortened. I think he bases this on the way the fuller runs right to the very tip of the blade. Any opinions?

The hilt on this sword is very attractive. It is an English, or Anglo-Saxon style (Petersen L), with a thin curving lower guard (see Albion Thegn for example). The pommel is tri-lobbed, and it the hilt was once inlayed with silver.

I'm thinking about having a reproduction made, which is why I am so interested in this one, particular sword. Any info/discussion/thoughts are welcome.

Kenton
Kirk Lee Spencer

Spotlight topics: 6

PostPosted: Mon 27 Feb, 2006 4:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Kenton...

Is this it...

Attachment: 99.34 KB
PetL.L88bl76w60g79cog226Saxon9th.MAP.SVA.jpg
From "Swords of the Viking Age" by Pierce. In the Museum of Arms, Paris France

Two swords
Lit in Eden’s flame
One of iron and one of ink
To place within a bloody hand
One of God or one of man
Our souls to one of
Two eternities
Kenton Spaulding

PostPosted: Mon 27 Feb, 2006 4:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yes, thanks so much Kirk, that is indeed the one.

Kenton
Jean Le-Palud

Reading list: 17 books

PostPosted: Tue 28 Feb, 2006 4:08 am    Post subject: Musée de l'armée         Reply with quote

Hi Kenton,
I am french. Unfortunately the museum website is currently being redesigned and nothing useful can be found.
If you have particular enquiries about the sword I could try using the contact link for you.

Jean
Kenton Spaulding

PostPosted: Tue 28 Feb, 2006 8:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey Jean, thanks for looking over the site for me. I really appreciate it. I'm trying to decide if I am going to have a custom sword made based on this one, I might decide tomorrow after I go to a study abroad meeting. Gotta make sure I can afford to go to Europe next year before I drop a lot of money on a new sword. Thanks for your help, Jean. If I do decide to get this custom piece I might pm you, if you would be willing to translate for me.

Kenton
Mikko Kuusirati

Reading list: 13 books

PostPosted: Wed 01 Mar, 2006 5:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, for one, it looks like one of the swords Albion Armourers' the Thegn is based on.
"And sin, young man, is when you treat people like things. Including yourself. That's what sin is."
— Terry Pratchett, Carpe Jugulum

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Page 74, Swords of the Viking Age
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic