Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Custom Petersen Type X Project Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
R. E. Oxley

PostPosted: Fri 24 Feb, 2006 7:31 pm    Post subject: Custom Petersen Type X Project         Reply with quote

I am currently researching Petersen Type X swords with single-edged blades. I have a custom project in mind and a blade smith willing to make it. However, I would like some assistance and input from the sword community regarding this particular design.

Petersen refers to two examples of Type X swords from the late Viking Age that have single-edged blades quite different from those of the preceding period. The main differences seem to be that the blades are wide and thin in comparison to single-edge blades of the earlier Viking Age. Peirce also makes reference to this in his work on Viking swords but adds no additional information. Please see pages 2-3 of the attached link to Petersen.

http://www.aiusa.com/medsword/petersen/ptsn158x.html

I have performed a search for the two examples listed by Petersen and found no further information or pics of the archaeological specimens.

If anyone has knowledge of these two Type X single-edge blades or links to information or museum pics, I would greatly appreciate it if you would post on this thread.

Also, general opinions of the design possibilities would be constructive and help in the planning process!

Thanks,

Rob Big Grin

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Custom Petersen Type X Project
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic