Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Maciejowski Bible Weapon Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Aaron Schneiker

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Mon 06 Feb, 2006 12:51 pm    Post subject: Maciejowski Bible Weapon         Reply with quote

Just wondering if anyone knows of any existing examples of the weapon that the knight in the brown is wielding? I would love to see a surviving example. I think that would be a fun recreation project. That looks like quite a monster if the proportions are accurate. If anyone has seen one of these, some basic dimensions and impressions would be appreciated!

Thanks,

-Aaron

Attachment: 121.77 KB
otm10va&b.JPG

Martin Wallgren

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 06 Feb, 2006 12:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I want one!

Me and a friend disscused them the other day and wondered if they could be a decendant of the falx of the Dacians!?!

Swordsman, Archer and Dad
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Mon 06 Feb, 2006 1:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I am not aware of any surviving examples. However MRL at one time made a replica and perhaps still do? I believe Del Tin also used to make an example I believe but I can't seem to find it on the site anymore?

I think the best description I've ever heard of that weapon is as a "short handled glaive." It works as well as anything I suppose. Happy

TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Aaron Schneiker

PostPosted: Mon 06 Feb, 2006 1:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Russ. I just checked out the MRL version. Doesn't look quite like i'd interperet it, but if there are no surviving examples I suppose I can't really say it's not correct? To me, that looks like a fuller running the length of the blade? It also appears that the blade is quite thick. Judging by the swords behind it, i'd say 2.5" or more at its widest. I might just have to make my own and see what I end up with.

-Aaron
Cory Winslow

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Mon 06 Feb, 2006 4:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My friend has the MRL version of this weapon. It's called the Warbrand and is 48'' overall, with a 34'' blade that is 11/4'' wide and weighs 3lbs. 4 oz.
It's a tough weapon that my friend has actually used to split logs, although I don't reccomend this. It's center of balance is right where the blade meets the grip, which doesn't give it much weight behind the blow, but since the grip is so long you can get substantial leverage to strike with. The tang is as wide and thick throughout the grip as it is where it enters it. The slabs of wood that are used as a grip seem to be held on with brass rivets. The blade itself has a very thickly re-enforced spine, which keeps it from being very noodley. Its an interesting weapon, but the lack of blade weight and crossguard would make it difficult to use.

Attachment: 10.43 KB
warbrand.jpg

Visit our school at:
www.memag.net

Last edited by Cory Winslow on Mon 06 Feb, 2006 7:56 pm; edited 2 times in total
Cameron A

PostPosted: Mon 06 Feb, 2006 6:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

one of my close friends recently put one of these together for reenacting use, I will see if I can get a photo of it to put up for you, as well as some measurements of course. he based it off of the proportions shown in the mac. bible and it is a real beast, and very very heavy.
Elling Polden

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 07 Feb, 2006 1:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There was a thread on this a while back:
http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=927

"this [fight] looks curious, almost like a game. See, they are looking around them before they fall, to find a dry spot to fall on, or they are falling on their shields. Can you see blood on their cloths and weapons? No. This must be trickery."
-Reidar Sendeman, from King Sverre's Saga, 1201
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Tue 07 Feb, 2006 6:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Elling Polden wrote:
There was a thread on this a while back:
http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t...mp;start=0

Thanks Elling, I actually posted in that thread early on but must not have followed it all the way through, I don't remember seeing many of the pictures in there.

TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Aaron Schneiker

PostPosted: Tue 07 Feb, 2006 8:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Elling.

That helps provide a few answers. It still looks to me like the "fauchard" in the picture weilded by the brown knight is slightly different than any of the others pictured. Most of the others look as though they could have been a polearm that was broken off and used more for close combat. I say this because a few of them pictured appear to have a circular or oval cross sectioned handle that appears to fit inside the blade, like you would haft a polearm. The one that the brown knight uses appears made to be used that way. It looks more like it has a tang that runs through a handle that is supported with some simple furniture. If I were to try a recreation, I would definately model it closely to this one as opposed to the others pictured. Just my personal preference.

Thanks again,
-Aaron
Elling Polden

PostPosted: Tue 07 Feb, 2006 9:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

the Fauchard is only pictured once, as far as I remember.

Personally, I see it as a oversized glaive, with a really short shaft, used in much the same way as the type XIIa or XIII cavalry swords; a long weapon for making powerfull swings or stabbing infantry...

"this [fight] looks curious, almost like a game. See, they are looking around them before they fall, to find a dry spot to fall on, or they are falling on their shields. Can you see blood on their cloths and weapons? No. This must be trickery."
Adam Welch

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Tue 07 Feb, 2006 4:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Something I've never noticed about the Brown Knight is that the there is a single hand sword on his left hip. So were the glaives of this type used only from horseback?
Factus est Dominus Protector Meus!
Chuck Russell

Reading list: 46 books

PostPosted: Tue 07 Feb, 2006 5:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

glorified butter knife
Scott Byler

PostPosted: Tue 07 Feb, 2006 10:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I find the weapon interesting. I've been talking for a number of years of seeing about getting one made for myself. It may be dressed up a bit more but would still follow the form of this one. Just need the money. Maybe a kidney isn't such a hard thing to part with?... lol
Elling Polden

PostPosted: Wed 08 Feb, 2006 2:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Adam Welch wrote:
Something I've never noticed about the Brown Knight is that the there is a single hand sword on his left hip. So were the glaives of this type used only from horseback?

more like, the glaives where polearms and "primary weapons". A sword would be carried as backup in any case.
Actually, high medieval illustrations shows very litte polearm fighting.
We know from written sources that just about every soldier carried a spear, and that knights used lances, but these are very seldom present in art.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Maciejowski Bible Weapon
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic