Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Info request Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Shawn Duncanson

PostPosted: Thu 11 Dec, 2003 1:54 am    Post subject: Info request         Reply with quote

Two handed saber like the polish and other northern Euro examples in one of the albums here

http://www.myArmoury.com/albums/photo/1280.html

http://www.myArmoury.com/albums/photo/4131.html

I love the one offered by Lutel but I am pondering a custom sword of this type in the far future.
Questions

1) How were they used and who used them. (aesthetically they are one of my favorite sword types but I see so little about them around I am quite ignorant as to their historical context)

2) How are they ment to handle, I am thinking of a sword with a 34 to 36 inch blade is this accurate? Weight and POB of antiques would be greately appreciated. Lutel's doesnt say POB.

3) Hilt types? Can any one give me a good source that is perhaps larger than the pics here. (though they are very helpful)

4) Are they practical and where would I find sources on a system of use or a sword style that would work for one of these?

Long post with lots o' questions, but you guys love this stuff right?

Not all who wander are lost.
Robert Zamoida

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Thu 11 Dec, 2003 4:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Overall, they would be used the same as a contemporary longsword, with the exception that false edge attacks would inflict more impact damage than cutting damage. Otherwise, the techniques and concepts of use should translate easily. For references, try Secrets of German Medieval Swordsmanship by Christian Tobler and Arte Gladitoria by Fillipio Vadi (Can't remember the translator) to start; there are a couple of other books that are good as well, one being another translation of Lichtenauer by Peter Svard, but I can't remember the names right now. Try Chivalry Bookshelf for other books. Hope this helps Happy
Rob Zamoida
"When your life is on the line, you want to make use of all your tools. No warrior should be willing to die with his swords at his sides, without having made use of his tools."
-Miyamoto Mushashi, Gorin no Sho
Scott Byler

PostPosted: Thu 11 Dec, 2003 5:08 am    Post subject: No real answers to any of your questions from me...         Reply with quote

Just a note to say I'm thinking very seriously along the same lines as you are here. I have a desire for a nice 2 handed saber and am planning on most likely seeing who might do one for me later on when I can save the cash. I am not sure I've found any one saber that has everything that I like in it, just speaking of historical pieces, but I guess I can get a 'historically believable' piece made up to my own designs (which I have a few of already and can't decide between). Saw a saber just this morning on the net somewhere that John Clements was handling. With just a nip and tuck here and there it would be a perfect saber for me. Even had a thumbring on it... Man, I need more cash... lol

I wouldn't mind being able to see as many pics of historic pieces as I could though. Besides for the album photos, I've only managed to hunt down a few others to go on... More references are always a good thing when possible. Happy
Shawn Duncanson

PostPosted: Thu 11 Dec, 2003 2:38 pm    Post subject: Yeah         Reply with quote

I am thinking about historically believable myself. I want to look at the various hilt types of the period (of wich I am still not sure) and the locale and choose one or a combo of a few. Dang you want a ring too... Well let me know if you find anything cool or a particular smith that is helpful.

Still want to know general weight and POB on one of thes bad boys.

It is good to hear that Longsword technique would work. I have a longsword of the blunt training variety and will be taking steps to learn to use it soon.

Shawn Duncanson

PostPosted: Fri 12 Dec, 2003 1:43 pm    Post subject: Ha         Reply with quote

Just realized their is a review on lutels that is helpful though it is labled here and it seem to be more accurate being called a Kreigsmesser. Would it be practical to buy the lutel version and have it rehilted by a custom smith or does lutel do this themselves? I love the blade blade size, weight and pommel. It is just the cross that puts me off.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Info request
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic