Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > custom saber from Christian Fletcher Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
David Lannon

PostPosted: Fri 03 Feb, 2006 10:33 pm    Post subject: Question for Nathan         Reply with quote

Nathan, would the blade on the Knecht be a correct type (or correct ENOUGH) for a Swiss saber? (Assuming it could be adapted to that hilt). I have a Knecht coming, and while I don't want to alter it, it MAY be reason to get another. I truly love Swiss sabers and that one is a beauty.

Cheers
Dave Lannon
Nate C.

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 04 Feb, 2006 10:48 am    Post subject: A different complex saber         Reply with quote

These pics were on an antique dealer's site (lion gate I think). It doesn't have a basket to it but it does have the rear guard and thumb ring. As I look at these again, I'm scurious to know if there might have been a knuckle guard at one time that either broke off or was cut off. Interesting.

Cheers,

Attachment: 23.56 KB
swiss_saber_16th_1.jpg
Rear Of Hilt

Attachment: 32.33 KB
swiss_saber_16th_3.jpg
Front Overall Shot

Nate C.

Sapere Aude
"If you are going to kill the man, at least give him a decent salute." - A. Blansitt

If they ever come up with a Swashbuckling School, I think one of the courses should be Laughing, then Jumping Off Something. --Jack Handy
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sat 04 Feb, 2006 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Question for Nathan         Reply with quote

David Lannon wrote:
Nathan, would the blade on the Knecht be a correct type (or correct ENOUGH) for a Swiss saber? (Assuming it could be adapted to that hilt). I have a Knecht coming, and while I don't want to alter it, it MAY be reason to get another. I truly love Swiss sabers and that one is a beauty.

I don't know. It doesn't seem right to me. Not having seen the sword or its blade, I couldn't tell you. The due date on that model keeps getting pushed back and back and back so I'll let you know when I get mine.

Your Tinker saber that you showed me would likely be better, or the Lutel saber that you sold me awhile ago might work better for this purpose. Both those options would be simple and somewhat generic so might work out okay.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Eric L.

PostPosted: Sat 04 Feb, 2006 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: A different complex saber         Reply with quote

Nate C. wrote:
These pics were on an antique dealer's site (lion gate I think). It doesn't have a basket to it but it does have the rear guard and thumb ring. As I look at these again, I'm scurious to know if there might have been a knuckle guard at one time that either broke off or was cut off. Interesting.

Cheers,

I can see something of the basket where it should have been. A little piece is still visible, and on the twisted guard i can see a nick in the metal where something has broken out. Happy
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Mon 06 Feb, 2006 1:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here's something similar from Hermann Historica. It's a modern piece so it sold for 450 Euro. 450 EURO! I often see stuff like this at auction sites--modern repros carefully antiqued and sold for peanuts because they're not authentic. If you like faux antiques, this seems like a great way to build a collection.

Here's the text:

Schweizer Degen,
neuzeitliche Sammleranfertigung im Stil um 1550. Beidseitig gekehlte Rückenklinge mit verbreiterter, zweischneidiger Spitze. Die Fehlschärfe mit einseitig geschlagener Schmiedemarke (Lilie). Eisernes Bügelgefäß, belederte Hilze mit Astknauf. Länge 106 cm.

Attachment: 16.55 KB
27143.jpg

Attachment: 7.87 KB
27143_b.jpg

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Mon 06 Feb, 2006 2:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Christian,

I must commend you on the very elegant execution of both the guard and the grip. They look really nice, and the quality of the craftsmanship is apparent even to someone who is not specifically interested in these types of sword.
Tom Carr

PostPosted: Mon 06 Feb, 2006 11:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Drool cup please! Surprised Beautiful work by Christian!
Scott Byler

PostPosted: Tue 07 Feb, 2006 10:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very nice hilt work and I think the blade isn't too bad a mismatch considering it wasn't made for that hilt design per se. I do hope folks will step up and give Gus their feelings on what would make for a more fitting blade type....
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Tue 07 Feb, 2006 11:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Scott Byler wrote:
VI do hope folks will step up and give Gus their feelings on what would make for a more fitting blade type....

Without taking the opportunity to document actual swords, the sharing of thoughts and photos only goes so far. One must have these in-hand to know and I unfortunately can't help in that area. I wish I could, though.

I've already pointed to several examples and others have been discussed. There are more than a few to view right here on this site.

Having said that and realizing the limited value of viewing these, here are some swords:

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Tim Lison

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Wed 08 Feb, 2006 11:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm posting 3 more pictures that I think are relevant. The first 2 are of similar sabers to the ones we're discussing. The third is of a messer, but the blade is very similar to what the blade on the majority of this type of saber (the ones I've seen) look like. The main differences that I can see between the original blades and the one that is used in this piece, is that the originals come to a much more acute point, have a back blade towards the tip end running about 1/3 of the blade, and they seem to have a thicker portion towards the hilt end running for 1/4 of the blade. I don't think this is a ricasso because it seems to be sharpened on most examples I've seen. That said, I think the blade I used is close and I certainly love the way it looks. I'm having Christian put a rear guard onto this one after hearing the feedback on this thread. Thanks to everyone who's posted, I'll put up pics as soon as I get them.

-Tim
Nate C.

PostPosted: Wed 08 Feb, 2006 1:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Looking at all these swords is just COOL! Cool Big Grin Eek!

One thing I noticed about the blades shown is that they have a "asymetrical" tip. The cutting side of the tip takes up more width than the "false" edge. I think this and the wider fuller (no flat areas) are the main difference between the trim saber and the period examples.

Cheers,

Nate C.

Sapere Aude
"If you are going to kill the man, at least give him a decent salute." - A. Blansitt

If they ever come up with a Swashbuckling School, I think one of the courses should be Laughing, then Jumping Off Something. --Jack Handy
Angus Trim

PostPosted: Sat 11 Feb, 2006 4:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ahh the tip.... an assymetrical tip.......... Thanks all for the suggestion and photos.........

I designed the blade with the current tip because the more spatulate type tip cuts better in tip cuts..... but for what its worth, there'll be another longsaber blade come off the line sometime this spring, with a tip more in line with some of these photos......

Thanks all

swords are fun
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sat 11 Feb, 2006 4:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Angus Trim wrote:
Ahh the tip.... an assymetrical tip.......... Thanks all for the suggestion and photos....l

These photos have been on the site for three years. myArmoury.com is a wealth of information, but still pales in comparison to books, museums, and other methods of hands-on research. Still, I'm glad we can help.

Angus Trim

PostPosted: Sat 11 Feb, 2006 4:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
Angus Trim wrote:
Ahh the tip.... an assymetrical tip.......... Thanks all for the suggestion and photos....l

These photos have been on the site for three years. myArmoury.com is a wealth of information, but still pales in comparison to books, museums, and other methods of hands-on research. Still, I'm glad we can help.

Hi Nathan

Yeah, I've seen the photos before, and have seen the tips before. But I didn't really design this blade around being accurate for these hilts. An oversight in retrospect.....

You and I have talked about this before, I sometimes miss small details that really stand out for other folks. Its that "vision" thing, and its a lack I have..........

So, thank you for pointing it out, as even going back and looking at photos again, I was missing it...........

Sometimes I get too caught up in cutting efficiency, and miss something else important.......

swords are fun
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sat 11 Feb, 2006 5:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You know what's funny, Gus? I have tunnel vision, too. I think it's part of being brilliant Happy (humble mode turned back on now)

Anyway, I know you didn't design that blade to be like this "early" type of saber, but rather an inspired design that is likely more towards a later period with a lot of performance and handling ability thrown in to get your head wrapped around the sabers, etc. I think you've got a really effective, if not unique, methodology with these things that makes for some good product.

Cheers

Tim Lison

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Tue 07 Mar, 2006 2:48 pm    Post subject: Christian Fletcher Swiss Saber with added thumb guard         Reply with quote

This is a picture of the Swiss saber guard that Christian Fletcher has just finished. Thanks to everyone who commented on my first post, I had Christian add the thumb guard after reading the comments. I think the final result is a much more historically accurate one, and my thumb will now be much safer....
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Tue 07 Mar, 2006 2:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That sword is a beauty, Tim. I would love to have one of those, one of these days.
"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Tue 07 Mar, 2006 3:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yes! That's awesome. I want one.
Jason Elrod

Reading list: 38 books

PostPosted: Wed 08 Mar, 2006 11:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That is hands down the best hilt that I've seen Christian put together. He just keeps on getting better. Makes me sad that I don't have a project in the works with him this year Sigh. Maybe next year. Please post some more pics. I know there was another thread on your saber. Maybe a moderator can combine them into one thread.

Congratulations on your saber.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > custom saber from Christian Fletcher
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: