Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Sword Identification... Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Ken Rankin

PostPosted: Sat 18 Mar, 2006 9:00 am    Post subject: Sword Identification...         Reply with quote

Hi all,

Below are two pictures of swords that we have bought over the internet on ebay, and I was hoping that someone out there could help us id the makers. The short sword was purchased about a year ago from a fellow in Colorado, who said it was first purchased from a Renaissance Faire in California, and he said it had set in his closet for about 20 years. My wife cleaned the blade, but it is pitted quite a bit. It has a full tapered tang that ends in a thread so the brass pommel screws on. Actually, today is the first day we've ever taken it apart. The hilt is wood wrapped in black leather secured with silver wire. It has the initials "V B D" stamped at the base of the blade on both sides, above the brass crossguard. The blade is about 1 1/2 inches at it's widest point, and about a 1/4 of an inch at the tip. The blade is about 18 inches long. We're not sure of the weight, probably not more than a pound. My wife paid about $60.00 for it at auction.

The second sword was purchased about two weeks ago from a guy in Michigan, who listed it as an estate find. The blade has alot of rust spots, so we will be busy cleaning it. The crossguard is steel, and the "skull crusher" pommel is either brass or bronze, I am not sure. The tip of the pommel is a little bent. The sword has been used for something, as there is a small nick in the blade. It may have been for live steel combat. It has a full tang that ends in a thread. There are no makings on the blade, cross guard, or pommel to indicate a maker. Total length is 37 inches, 27 inches of which is blade.The two handed hilt is wood wrapped in red leather with black leather straps crossed around it, secured with stainless steel tacks. It weighs around 3-4 pounds. It has a nice balance to it, and I got it for $19.95 Laughing Out Loud

I know these swords are not the quality of blades that are usually talked about on the forums, but I would appreciate any help you guys could give us.

Thanks,

Ken

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Sword Identification...
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic