Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Peter Johnsson custom sword design Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Taylor Ellis

PostPosted: Sat 28 Jan, 2006 7:40 pm    Post subject: Peter Johnsson custom sword design         Reply with quote

Purchasing a sword from a custom smith is one of the most exciting parts of being a collector. Each smith has their own preferred methods of taking a customer's ideas and coming up with something functional. Some years ago I gave Kevin Cashen a drawing I did and told him I pretty much wanted that exact sword. Problem was, I didn't know a lot about sword dynamics and the drawing reflected that. It is a testament to Kevin's skill that he made such a functional weapon without making any major diversions from the original design.

About 4 years ago I emailed Peter Johnsson about the possibility of ordering a sword from him. He explained to me at the time that he wasn't taking orders as he had a big project coming up that the whole sword community would benefit from. I kept in contact with Peter bugging him about various aspects of sword design. 4 years later I consider Peter one of by best "internet" mates (you know, the type of friend you haven't met yet, I'm sure we all have them on here!). His continuous patience with my questions and the sheer depth of knowledge and his willingness to share it publically make him a massive asset to the sword world.

So, imagine my suprise a few months ago when Peter tells me he has done up a basic blade blank exhibiting qualities that I most prefer in a sword and offered me first buying rights to it! We've refined the basics into a concrete visualisation, no men feat considering what I gave Peter to work with. Basically, I told him I wanted a sword that could do everything; it had to be able to cut, to thrust, to be used one or two handed, with a shield or alone, and to top it off, have a distinct and flamboyant 13th century style to it. The picture below is what Peter came up with.

The sword is right smack in between a XIIa and a XVIa, with a l blade that is lenticular in cross section with a sharp midrib forming towards the point. The length of the blade is 88cm, and the overall length is 109cm. The pommel and cross are polished bronze, and the handle is dark green tooled leather (though shagreen may be an interesting option) with black leather thongs criss crossing over and held together by tacks. The pommel has a cross engraved into it, and the fuller will have a latin phrase running down it, I'm just not yet sure what. Any suggestions?

Nice, huh?

Attachment: 10.49 KB
PJ Ellis.JPG

Craig Peters

PostPosted: Sat 28 Jan, 2006 10:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That looks like it will be a nice sword Taylor. I'd like to see it once it's realized in steel and bronze. As for the Latin, why not consider the motto on your family coat of armes?
Jonathon Janusz

PostPosted: Sun 29 Jan, 2006 1:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congratulations and count yourself among those very blessed. It looks like a very interesting design.

I hope some day to have the same good news Happy
Brian M

PostPosted: Sun 29 Jan, 2006 1:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think it's somewhat reminiscent of Albion's Prince. Looks like a Type-XVI blade. The pommels are both faceted types, with the Price being more obviously octagonal. I think the pierced cross would look great.
My own personal preference is for plainer swords, but if Mr. Johnsson offered me first crack at that sword (and if I could afford it!) I'd probably buy it.

Brian M
Michal Plezia
Industry Professional

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Sun 29 Jan, 2006 4:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

What a pity that it is XIIIc design....what about us-'late ones' Wink Laughing Out Loud
Taylor Ellis

PostPosted: Sun 29 Jan, 2006 4:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michal Plezia wrote:
What a pity that it is XIIIc design....what about us-'late ones' Wink Laughing Out Loud

Don't worry about that, Peter has some cool stuff coming up... Happy
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Sun 29 Jan, 2006 4:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The concept sketch looks very nice, Taylor. Did Peter give you any indication as to when this project might be completed?
"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Taylor Ellis

PostPosted: Sun 29 Jan, 2006 4:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve Grisetti wrote:
The concept sketch looks very nice, Taylor. Did Peter give you any indication as to when this project might be completed?

Yeah mate, May.
Blaz Berlec

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Sun 29 Jan, 2006 4:48 am    Post subject: Sword inscription         Reply with quote

Since the sword is so well designed to be placed into a certain time frame, the only right option would be to copy an existing sword inscription from 13.th century, maybe slightly modified to suit your needs or taste.

Unfortunately, I don't know where you could find sword inscriptions reproduced with enough detail for copying. Oakeshott has some of them, and I have an interesting book by Marian Glosek: Signs and inscriptions on medieval swords in Poland (1973). Unfortunately it's in Polish, but it has about 100 pages of sword signs and inscriptions from Polish finds, sometimes compared to the more known Western European swords. Also the book about medieval swords from Slovenia by Tomaz Nabergoj has all the inscriptions of some 30 swords redrawn.

So just choosing a latin phrase and having it engraved down the fuller might not be totally appropriate for this type of sword. This was common during 12.th and 13.th century, but most of the time only on swords with wider fullers that don't taper that much (from X - XIII). Almost all "pointier" swords with such narrow tapering fuller usually have short inscriptions (one or two words) combined with various symbols like crosses, arrows, sun symbols or other meaningful stuff. Most of the time they only have such symbols, and they're usually not maker's marks.

And just an idea - symbols and inscriptions were usually inlaid in 13.th century, not just engraved, and I think that would look even more stunning. It's not as cheap as engraving, but a sword like this deserves such a treatment.

Extant 15th Century German Gothic Armour
Extant 15th century Milanese armour
Arming doublet of the 15th century
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Sun 29 Jan, 2006 5:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey Guys,
Thanks for positive input!

This has been one of those projects long in development. Can be a good thing (and this is usually the case with me working in the smithy: it does take much longer than I would really like, but that is how things are). Depending on patience of those involved the end result can be worth it...

As the sword is combining a wide a spectrum of parameters, it is not really primarily a historical type. Rather it is combining features from swords from a wider period in history. The functional aspects are perhaps mostly belonging to the 14th C and some of the aesthetic features are more akin to13th C.
It is first of all a realisation of a dream sword, corresponding to those aspects that Taylor treasures in a sword.
A flamboyant and handy sword of some size to make it usefull in both one hand and two hands with strong cutting *and* thrusting aspects.
Add to this specific decorative features and you get a sword that is really a custom job in the true meaning of the word: it does first of all strive to meet the wants and needs of one specific customer according to my capabilities as a maker.

...So donīt go and give Taylor and new bright ideas of things to include in this design now, OK Wink Big Grin

Best
Peter
Michael F.

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Sun 29 Jan, 2006 7:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow. That's a very attractive weapon. The pommel seems to be one of the most appealing things; it looks very complex, yet not uncomfortable to the hand. Congratulations on a beautiful new weapon!
"Tis but a scratch.....A scratch? your arm's off!"-- Monty Python and the Holy Grail.
Joel Whitmore

PostPosted: Sun 29 Jan, 2006 3:44 pm    Post subject: Hey Taylor man nice to see ya.         Reply with quote

Yeah that is a beautiful sword without a doubt. And you can count on Peter delivering something extraordinary! Taylor and I got out Cashen pieces nearly at the same time( about a month or so apart as I recall). Taylor do you still have that Type XII or did you part with it? Anduril is still with and probably will be until the end. Good to see you on here again and best wishes. If I ever get out to Oz I'll ring ya.

Joel
Jeremiah Swanger

PostPosted: Sun 29 Jan, 2006 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Peter Johnsson custom sword design         Reply with quote

Taylor Ellis wrote:

The sword is right smack in between a XIIa and a XVIa, with a l blade that is lenticular in cross section with a sharp midrib forming towards the point. The length of the blade is 88cm, and the overall length is 109cm. The pommel and cross are polished bronze, and the handle is dark green tooled leather (though shagreen may be an interesting option) with black leather thongs criss crossing over and held together by tacks. The pommel has a cross engraved into it, and the fuller will have a latin phrase running down it, I'm just not yet sure what. Any suggestions?

Nice, huh?

Kinda looks like what a "XIVa" would look like if such a thing existed. I've always wondered what it would be like and how much butt it would kick...

"Rhaegar fought nobly.
Rhaegar fought valiantly.
Rhaegar fought honorably.
And Rhaegar died."

- G.R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire
Darwin Todd

PostPosted: Sun 29 Jan, 2006 7:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That is a beautiful design Taylor! You know if you shorten it down to a single hand grip and a 32" blade, you have my dream sword. I love the blade profile and the design of a lenticular cross section fading into a mid-rib at the point.
And actually Jeremiah, in the book "Sword in Hand", Oakeshott said he regreted not having put a type XIVa into his typology. To me that would seem to indicate there were historical examples out there.
Tim Lison

Reading list: 6 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 30 Jan, 2006 12:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That is a really cool sword! How about the inscription "I'm very fortunate to own this sword!" Wink
Bruno Giordan

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 01 Feb, 2006 7:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

NEC SPE NEC METV (I do things neithr with ope nor with fear, i.e. I act bravely and with preparation).

Or a plain DEVS VULT would do a lot in this troubled times
Thomas Jason

PostPosted: Wed 01 Feb, 2006 7:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This is beautiful!

Peter, please do more of your own designs. This and the sword you did for the MAsters of Fire Exhibition are truly beautiful beyond words.
Eric Spitler

PostPosted: Wed 01 Feb, 2006 9:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That is, without doubt, the sweetest blade design I've ever laid eyes upon. If Albion were to offer something with a blade like that, I think it would fast become the top seller. Of course, then it wouldn't be very custom, would it? Happy I very much look forward to a review of this piece when it's completed. And lots of pictures!
Brian M

PostPosted: Wed 01 Feb, 2006 1:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

DEUS VULT is a good one -- short and period-appropriate. I've read that DEUS LO VULT is actually the correct grammar, but I don't know if the contemporaries saw it as more correct or not.
That makes me think, it would really be a great idea if Albion could offer simple engraving as an option on their swords. The work on the SOSM is very effective, and it seems that it shouldn't be grossly expensive to do. The font would have to be limited to one style for simplicity's sake, with a limited number of letters/symbols per inscription. Maybe Albion could offer a small set of standard historical inscriptions -- Deus Vult, Xristus Reinat, etc.

Brian M
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Wed 01 Feb, 2006 1:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Brian M wrote:
DEUS VULT is a good one -- short and period-appropriate. I've read that DEUS LO VULT is actually the correct grammar, but I don't know if the contemporaries saw it as more correct or not.
That makes me think, it would really be a great idea if Albion could offer simple engraving as an option on their swords. The work on the SOSM is very effective, and it seems that it shouldn't be grossly expensive to do. The font would have to be limited to one style for simplicity's sake, with a limited number of letters/symbols per inscription. Maybe Albion could offer a small set of standard historical inscriptions -- Deus Vult, Xristus Reinat, etc.

Brian M

Brian,

I considered suggesting "Homo Dei", which apparently appeared on some swords, but I decided against it, and I think the same reasoning should apply to "Deus Vult". Both of these sayings, in my opinion, are more appropriate for the late 11th and the 12th century, when crusading was most prevelant. I could be mistaken, but I would think such inscriptions would be a bit out of place on a 13th century sword, given that the zeal for the crusades had largely died down by this point.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Peter Johnsson custom sword design
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: