Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Sword manufactures Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Duncan Mcphearson

PostPosted: Sat 28 Jan, 2006 1:50 pm    Post subject: Sword manufactures         Reply with quote

I'm interested in starting a sword collection. Yet, I do not know of many sword smiths or sword manufactures... I have after searching the web found that there are many to choose from, but I am not too impressed with many of them. So I'd like to ask, " Who would you consider to be among the best smiths or sword manufactures?" Specifically in Europe, UK, Canada or America.

My interest leans toward "arming swords, cut & thrust, rapiers, smallsword, basket hilted, sabre, dirk & seax.

I have no interest in swords made in india or the asia.
I suspect that the may be a few Sword Smiths who are members of this site... so I hope I have not opened a can of worms.

Thank you for your suggestions,
Duncan
Gabriel Lebec
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 32 books

PostPosted: Sat 28 Jan, 2006 2:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

myArmoury.com has a links section with a full list of "Swordsmiths and Distributors."

What kind of smiths or manufacturers are you looking for? You list some European types, but you're not listing a price range or whether you are looking for custom or production type work.

Since very excellent semi-production swords from the likes of Albion Swords or Arms & Armor range between $500 and $1500, and top-of-the-line custom smiths like Vince Evans and Peter Johnsson will probably *start* at several thousand dollars (and go up rapidly from there), that's a pretty big gap.

"Best" depends on what you're looking for. Are you looking for best value? Best performance? Best aesthetic refinement? What makes each of those elements "best" to you - i.e., aesthetics are very often subjective, performance depends on your fencing style and body type, and value depends on your finances.

There are plenty of Reviews here to browse through, as well as tons of photos in the Collections and albums sections of this site. If you're just getting into the subject, the best advice would be to stick around int these forums, and to start reading some of the best books on the subject.

Best of luck in finding what you're looking for,

Gabriel L.
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Sat 28 Jan, 2006 2:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well said, Gabriel. After reading your post, I just erased my draft that said almost precisely the same thing. Another point is whether one is interested in "historic accuracy" and to what degree. There are some makers out there with fine reputations for work that is very high quality, but not necessarily historically accurate. The name of John Lundemo comes immediately to mind. And most makers use modern materials, rather than the irons and steels of old. An exception is Patrick Barta, who, I believe, has been known to manufacture his own base materials in the "old ways". That is something you need to be prepared to pay for, however.
"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Sat 28 Jan, 2006 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Sword manufactures         Reply with quote

Based on your interests Duncan, I'd say that you'd want to check out either Arms and Armor or Darkwood Armory: http://www.darkwoodarmory.com/catalog.shtml
Duncan Mcphearson

PostPosted: Sat 28 Jan, 2006 3:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you Gabriel and Steve... your questions and suggestions help.

I would be interested in custom and/or production. I am interested in historically accurate swords and would be willing to spend around $2000.00 for a sword (possibly more). I could see myself building my collection from mostly production swords and have a few commissioned to be built specifically for myself since I actuality fence left handed.

I have been browsing the Albion Swords web site... I found their site shortly after I originally posted this topic. Their work appears to be very nice and built with pride.

Thank you both for the links and I'll check out the reviews page.

PS: Gabriel... yes, I am just getting started in sword collection. I have been very interested in swords and knives for many years, but never knew where to start. I have received a catalog of sword replicas for a few years now, but I knew nothing of the sword manufacture of the products being sold in this catalog... I then found out the it was a company called "Windlass Steelcraft". I know nothing of this company other than they are located in India. It is my belief that if I am going to purchase a sword of western influence, it should be manufactured by a western sword smith and vise versa.

When I found this website, I figured this would be a good place to begin my research and find a smith who I would be proud to purchase a sword from. Quality is important to me.
Duncan
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Sat 28 Jan, 2006 3:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Duncan Mcphearson wrote:
...I have received a catalog of sword replicas for a few years now, but I knew nothing of the sword manufacture of the products being sold in this catalog... I then found out the it was a company called "Windlass Steelcraft". I know nothing of this company other than they are located in India. It is my belief that if I am going to purchase a sword of western influence, it should be manufactured by a western sword smith and vise versa...

Actually, Windlass does have some decent products, for the money. Some of the products are better than others, both in terms of historical accuracy and in quality. They are certainly not at the level of Arms & Armor or Albion, but they are a lot cheaper, too. This may not matter, since you seem to be more interested in the high end stuff. But, if you are curious, check the Reviews section for pieces by Museum Replicas Limited, who are owned by Windlass Steelcrafts. I certainly favor my A&A and Albion pieces, but I also have a couple of Windlass swords that I purchased at a discount and were worth every one of the few dollars that I paid for them.

"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Duncan Mcphearson

PostPosted: Sat 28 Jan, 2006 4:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you Steve...
Your comments on Windlass where good to hear considering I often was close to purchasing a sword or two from Museum Replicas. I also read many of the MRL reviews and they seem very positive. I will definitely keep them in mind and continue to browse their catalogs when they arrive.

I have been browsing through the reviews and there are some very beautiful swords located here.
I have some research to do.

Thank you all for your suggestions and comments... they have been helpful.
Duncan
Gabriel Lebec
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 32 books

PostPosted: Sat 28 Jan, 2006 7:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Glad to be of help. I would think that the MRL reviews are made in the context of their price points, and that one should bear in mind that even if the MRL line seems to have developed into a general success, that doesn't make everything by the parent company Windlass steelcrafts automatically good. This is not to say that MRL is a bad choice. I cannot make that assertion, having never owned an MRL sword myself, and the reviews on this site (by people whose opinions I find valuable) do all seem to say the same thing: that they are a good value for the price. But if you are concerned with quality foremost, and are, as you seem, prepared to pay for it, you might end up in the long-term to be more satisfied with another choice.

The advantage of having the resources at this site is that you can still come to your own decision, but that it will at least be an informed one. As far as getting started in the field, the mantra that is repeated in the Japanese sword market is learn first, buy later; but another saying is that you can't avoid paying for your education; i.e., as you continue to learn, you will likely end up moving onwards and upwards anyway. So go with whatever seems appealing to you. I hope you enjoy your first sword and have a rewarding time in building your collection. Happy

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Sword manufactures
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic