Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Info on Reproduction Gothic Harness Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 
Chuck Russell

Reading list: 46 books

PostPosted: Thu 02 Feb, 2006 5:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter Fuller wrote:
Well, I'll be travelling down to Atlanta at the end of the month, to deliver the cuishes. What I'll do is propose they allow me to modify their version of the gauntlets so they will work. I might even try to convince them to do a fingered version. I doubt they would be willing to give you your money back, or even make an exchange, but if they go for it, then at least threre will be a functional alternative.

BTW Bill, if you wish, I would be willing to modify your current set so they will work properly, for a nominal fee.

peter? what do u do to them? make sliding rivets? grind down the inner part of the articulation?
Peter Fuller
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 02 Feb, 2006 6:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chuck:

Looking at the photo in their catalogue, its looks like they only have four finger lames. I'm pretty sure I had six on my prototype. Also, the knuckle bar looks too shallow, so it doesn't allow the finger lames to bend into the palm far enough. Without actually looking at one of their examples, I couldn't say for sure. My guess would be to correct these two problems, and then they should articulate properly.[/quote]
Jeff Ross

PostPosted: Sat 04 Feb, 2006 5:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bill Grandy wrote:
I really agree with Bill's statement above in terms of things to look for. As usual, the best thing to do is research (which of course is why you asked the question Happy ), and his advice to look at photos of original pieces is spot on.

Of course, as a downside, you won't be content with the things you can afford anymore. Wink That's my problem, anyway.

I've eyed the Armour and Castings suit, and I must say, you really can't beat that price. But I know I couldn't be happy with it... it doesn't look like a period harness to me. The shapes aren't quite right, the fluting looks too bulky. The articulations look like they have a large amount of gap between them. I can see many people being quite content with this, because it really does seem to be quite a bargain. But it just doesn't quite flow right to my eye.

I have a pair of Armour and Castings gauntlets... again, you can't beat the price, but they only okay, but not as great as I keep reading. I went with them because of all the comments making them sound like the greatest things ever created, but I think sometimes people get a little over-enthusiastic in their reviews about new armour, particularly if it was a bargain. I'm not at all complaining about the quality, as I think they really were good for the price, just not what I'd heard.

Armour and Castings had excellent customer service, though, and they were pretty fast on the delivery.

The nice thing about working with a small production shop like Armour and Castings is the possibility for interaction and customization. My wife and I each have harnesses on order, but with sharper fluting than the harness shown on the web site and added fluted tassets. My previous experience with Armour and Castings has been only with their gauntlets, which I think are quite good in comparison to those I've seen among the group we train with, especially for the price. Obviously, I can't comment on the quality of the gothic harnesses until they arrive and we have an opportunity to use them, but I am optimistic that they will be of at least equal quality to the gauntlets. And for the price, I don't anticipate being disappointed.

Jeff
Alexander Ren

PostPosted: Sat 04 Feb, 2006 10:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bill Grandy wrote:
Of course, as a downside, you won't be content with the things you can afford anymore. Wink That's my problem, anyway.

Blast it!!! Now I understand what you mean. I have been looking at the pictures on the Arador Armour Library's website and now I can see some of the things that you guys are talking about. I still like the harness at Armour and Castings but looking more closely at the real thing makes me want a something more like this one: http://www.arador.com/gallery/index.html Big Grin

Thanks... Alex
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
W. R. Reynolds

PostPosted: Sat 04 Feb, 2006 10:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Alexander,

Which armour on the site are you looking at. Your link was pretty generic.

Bill

"No matter who wins the rat race.......they are still a rat."
W. R. Reynolds

PostPosted: Sun 05 Feb, 2006 7:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Alexander,

Yet another site for you to look at. I am put off by a couple of the pieces there, but for the most part it's pretty good. Companye of Saynte George uses some of thier stuff and those guys are VERY critical. Again I can not stress enough the need for your own research.

http://www.armabohemia.cz/Novestr/homeA.htm

Bill

James Arlen Gillaspie
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 05 Feb, 2006 8:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The overall look is pretty ambitious, but there are some basic miskakes apparent (though I should talk, considering some of the 12 and 15 year old stuff on my website). Their early 16th c. cavalry armour, in particular, looks temporally challenged.
jamesarlen.com
W. R. Reynolds

PostPosted: Sun 05 Feb, 2006 8:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

James,

Didn't even look at the 16th c. stuff as my area of interest and as far as I can tell from his comments Alexander's is the 15th c. Parts of the officers armours on the site look OK and some are being worn by St. George members but as for the full suits, I can't ever remember seeing a fluted bevor, or one that big for that matter. Doesn't mean there isn't a sample of one out there but it is not a common feature and LH strives for the common. The caveat of doing your homework still applies.

Bill

Lloyd Clark

PostPosted: Mon 06 Feb, 2006 6:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The great thing about working with Beathan at Armour and Castings is that they do customize to your specs and usually for either no price increase or a very small one. I spoke with Beathan about the Gothic suit and he told me that was one they made about 3 years ago and that the new suits would be much closer to the original.

Just shoot Beathan an email (with copious pics) about what you want and I am pretty sure that you will be more than happy with the result.

Cheers,

Lloyd Clark
2000 World Jousting Champion
2004 World Jousting Bronze Medalist
Swordmaster
Super Proud Husband and Father!
Alexander Ren

PostPosted: Wed 08 Feb, 2006 6:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

W. R. Reynolds wrote:
Alexander,

Which armour on the site are you looking at. Your link was pretty generic.

Oops. It is the gothic harness in Ingolstadt, Germany. It is at the bottom of the list of period armour.

Sorry about that... Alex
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
W. R. Reynolds

PostPosted: Wed 08 Feb, 2006 6:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Alexander,

That's pretty ambitious for a first suit of armour. Keep in mind that the more fluting and edge work you add, the more the price is likely to increase. A word of caution. If your ultimate goal is to get involved in LH , it might not be a bad idea to peruse some of the sites of the various groups to see what their kit requirements or limitations are. There are some sites on the current re-enactment thread that can give you an idea of where these groups are coming from in their approach to LH.

Bill

Alexander Ren

PostPosted: Wed 08 Feb, 2006 9:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

W. R. Reynolds wrote:
Alexander,

That's pretty ambitious for a first suit of armour. Keep in mind that the more fluting and edge work you add, the more the price is likely to increase. A word of caution. If your ultimate goal is to get involved in LH , it might not be a bad idea to peruse some of the sites of the various groups to see what their kit requirements or limitations are. There are some sites on the current re-enactment thread that can give you an idea of where these groups are coming from in their approach to LH.

I just ment that other harnesses don't look quite as nice as they did before I saw it. It would be nice to have something like that made one day but it is more realistic for me to get a harness like Armour and Castings' or something comparable. I guess I have "the grass is always greener" syndrom.

By the way, does anyone know if there are any pictures of that entire harness rather than just pictures of each part?

Thanks... Alex
W. R. Reynolds

PostPosted: Fri 23 Feb, 2007 10:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter,

If you ever got to talk to MRL about the gauntlets again, it didn't take...again. A friend of mine just tried to order a pair and knowing about the problem talked to several people about it. They first told him his hands were too big but he finally got to talk to someone in the warehouse and had him do a basic flex test on the gaunts. The end result is that he WON'T be buying gauntlets from MRL.

Bill

Peter Fuller
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 24 Feb, 2007 8:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bill;

I spoke to MRL when I was in Atlanta last year, and gave them a clear, logical argument as to why they should re-work their gauntlets to make them more functional. However, the line of communications from Atlanta to India seems to be tenuous at best, and it appears my appeal fell on deaf ears. Dan Peterson has been working with Depeeka for years, and he travels to India and literally stands over the armourers' shoulder, telling them how to make their Roman armour. It's probably the only way to get the Indians to do anything properly.

I'm sorry guys, I wish I could've had more input into the final MRL product. I fixed Bill Grandy's gauntlets, and got them to work OK, but for everyone else, I don't know what to suggest for a functional, reasonably priced alternative.

Peter Fuller
W. R. Reynolds

PostPosted: Sun 25 Feb, 2007 8:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter,

There is no denying that the gauntlets look great, it's just a matter of functionality and I am glad you were able to fix Bill's pair. Is this an easy fix that can be done in a home shop with some simple direction? If so perhaps they might be worth the price and time to fix if you are willing to share your solution. As the gauntlets are "mass produced" it seems reasonable to assume that they all suffer from the same or similar ailment and will have a common fix. I think my friend might be willing to get a pair if this were the case as his son is a budding armourer and it will give him something to work on.

Bill

Michael Edelson

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sun 25 Feb, 2007 3:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have the sallet and bevoir from this set and I have to say that they are excellent. The fit is fantastic (though the visor had to be bent a bit) and the liner is very comfortable and functional (not the usual MRL leather junk). My only complaint is that the visor doesn't stay closed...if you jump, it goes up, but I'm having someone make a hook to keep it down.
New York Historical Fencing Association
www.newyorklongsword.com

Byakkokan Dojo
http://newyorkbattodo.com/
Peter Fuller
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 26 Feb, 2007 3:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bill;

The first problem was that the rivets were too tight. Replacing them helped a lot. Also, the finger lames were too straight; they needed to be curved more in order to articulate properly. However, when I curved them they worked a little too well, and gaps appeared between the lames. So I had to add an internal leather to keep them from opening up when you made a fist. When I finished the repair, I swung several weapons around the shop, and they seemed to work alright. You'll have to ask Bill how satisfied he is with the result.

Finally, I have to say that when I was in Atlanta last year, I helped MRL with a video they produced, and I wore the gothic sallet, pauldrons, vambraces, and gauntlets in a fight sequence. With the exception of the visor being a little too loose (a few taps on the inside of the pivoting rivets, Michael, will remedy the situation), everything worked fine, including the gauntlets. Everything was cracked out of the box from the warehouse; nothing was modified or altered. The gauntlets I used were a little stiff, but they didn't hinder my gripping the swords or other weapons I used. It seems to me that ultimately, it might be a "hit or miss" proposition with regards to the functionality of the MRL armour.
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

PostPosted: Mon 26 Feb, 2007 4:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter did indeed do some very nice work on both my gauntlets and my pauldrons to make them functional. I keep meaning to take pictures and update my collection gallery here on the site, but it always slips my mind. They still aren't perfect, but considering what Peter was working with, I imagine that it would probably almost be easier to just make a new pair than it would have been for Peter to do more with these. I can now flex my hand pretty well with them, but I can't make a full fist. After Peter's modifications, I can hold a thick staff weapon without any problem, and can reasonably grip a sword, though not very tightly. This is leaps and bounds better than before Peter had modified them (and as I say, there was only so much he had to work with). The pauldrons also articulate much better than before, too, though again aren't completely perfect.

For WMA usage, I don't use these particular pieces. They are actually more for demos (teaching swordsmanship for a living means showing up at a lot of schools and such, where I usually end up taking bits off when demonstrating techniques for clarity anyway). Because of this, I can be content with what I ended up with... but if you plan on buying this stuff for WMA, stage combat, or reenactment, then clearly you need to see it in person before you purchase. If it hadn't been for Peter's skilled hands these pieces would only be pretty decorations on my shelf.

HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
Michael Edelson

PostPosted: Mon 26 Feb, 2007 4:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter Fuller wrote:
Bill;

The first problem was that the rivets were too tight. Replacing them helped a lot. Also, the finger lames were too straight; they needed to be curved more in order to articulate properly. However, when I curved them they worked a little too well, and gaps appeared between the lames. So I had to add an internal leather to keep them from opening up when you made a fist. When I finished the repair, I swung several weapons around the shop, and they seemed to work alright. You'll have to ask Bill how satisfied he is with the result.

Finally, I have to say that when I was in Atlanta last year, I helped MRL with a video they produced, and I wore the gothic sallet, pauldrons, vambraces, and gauntlets in a fight sequence. With the exception of the visor being a little too loose (a few taps on the inside of the pivoting rivets, Michael, will remedy the situation), everything worked fine, including the gauntlets. Everything was cracked out of the box from the warehouse; nothing was modified or altered. The gauntlets I used were a little stiff, but they didn't hinder my gripping the swords or other weapons I used. It seems to me that ultimately, it might be a "hit or miss" proposition with regards to the functionality of the MRL armour.

Hi Peter,

Mine does not have pivoting rivets...there are bolts that hold the visor in place and allow it to pivot. I tighten them to get it to stay down, but then they loosen. I like the idea of a hook, because even a tight visor can be knocked up and blind you for a crucial instant.

I still think this helm is top notch. I've seen high end helmets that looked and functioned worse. Besides, not all historical helms were thicker than 18 gauge.

New York Historical Fencing Association
www.newyorklongsword.com

Byakkokan Dojo
http://newyorkbattodo.com/
Peter Fuller
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 26 Feb, 2007 6:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael;

A quick fix for bolts with nuts is to tighten them to where you want them, and then take a center punch, and hammer a series of 'dots' around the inside edge of the nut. This will 'lock' the nut in place, and keep it from turning when you raise and lower the visor. At least in theory, anyway.

I would agree with you, though, a sneck hook or a catch pin to keep the visor closed is a good idea.

Peter

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Info on Reproduction Gothic Harness
Page 3 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: