Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Sword of St. Maurice Turin Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Brian M

PostPosted: Sat 21 Jan, 2006 1:50 pm    Post subject: Sword of St. Maurice Turin         Reply with quote

I got a nice suprise when I can home from work yesterday in the form of a big white box on the porch. On the other hand, I was less than thrilled that UPS had left it to sit there for 8 hours, but I digress.
The first impression one gets is that it the blade is huge. In side-by side handling tests with my Tritonia, the SoSm has much more inertia in the blade. As measured, the CoG is a whopping 9.25" from the face of the guard, where the Tritonia is 5". This is truly a cavalry sword -- pick your shots, because you probably can't recover a blow.
The second thing that jumps out is that the SoSM's grip is very short. The single-handed Albion swords I have (Gaddhjalt, Sovreign, Knight, Templar, and Tritonia) all have grips in the 4 and 1/4" range. The SoSM measures a mere 3 and 5/8". I have average-sized hands, and it is a close fit with my hand touching both the guard and pommel. Wearing heavy gloves would probably be snug but not uncomfortably so. Wearing a mail gauntlet would probably be extremely tight, and might require a pinky over the pommel or (more likely?) the index finger over the guard. In fact, given the massive nature of the blade, it wouldn't surprise me at all if that's how it was used.
The "H + H / + H +" engraving is very nicely executed, better than I would have hoped for. The rest of the details are up to if not beyond Albion's typical high standards. The fuller is crisp and symmetrical. The fit of the blade to the guard is extremely tight and even. The hilt castings are the best I've seen with the sole "flaw" being a single tiny pit on the pommel. I can honestly say that, in terms of "the little details" this is the best Albion sword I've yet purchased, and that's saying something.
This is a really interesting sword given the huge blade together with the very short grip.

Regards,
Brian M
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Sat 21 Jan, 2006 2:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congratulations, Brian. How about a few pictures to share with your fellow forumites?
"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sat 21 Jan, 2006 2:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Brian;

Since I have a Gaddhjalt a side by side comparison of handling would be very interesting to confirm or contradict my guessing that it is similar in handling, with the SoSM being just more so.

At the very least they look like smaller / bigger brothers to me.

Since I have a Tritonia coming next week handling impressions you have about the Tritonia by itself and in comparison to the SoSM would also be appreciated if you have more to say on the subject.

And congratulations on your purchase. Cool Big Grin

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Brian M

PostPosted: Sun 22 Jan, 2006 12:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Since I have a Gaddhjalt a side by side comparison of handling would be very interesting to confirm or contradict my guessing that it is similar in handling, with the SoSM being just more so. At the very least they look like smaller / bigger brothers to me. Since I have a Tritonia coming next week handling impressions you have about the Tritonia by itself and in comparison to the SoSM would also be appreciated if you have more to say on the subject.

The Gaddhjalt is perhaps the most overtly similar sword to the SoSM. In a side-by-side comparison:
--The blades are both of the parabolic-taper type. However, the Gaddhjalt both starts out slimmer at the base and tapers much more acutely toward the tip. Therefore there is more mass further out on the SoSM's blade.
--The Gaddhjalt's grip is nearly an inch longer than the SoSM's. The Gaddhjalt's pommel-mass being further back by an inch means that it has better leverage to balance the blade, versus the SoSM's pommel-mass. I am curious how much forward the CoG would shift if the Gaddhjalt had an inch taken off the hilt, or conversely if the SoSM had an inch longer grip, how would that change it's CoG?
--Between the Gaddhjalt, SoSM, and Tritonia: The Gaddhalt weighs in at 2.4 pounds/CoG 6.75", SoSM 3.0 pounds/CoG 9.25", Tritonia 3.3 pounds/CoG 4.75". It is immediately obvious from these figures that, while the Tritonia is substantially (6 oz) heavier, the SoSM's CoG is basically twice as far out. This means that they feel asolutely nothing alike in the hand, other than their massiveness. The Tritonia, like the Gaddhjalt, has a longer grip than the SoSM, offering the pommel-mass better leverage. I would also suspect that a lot of the 6-ounce mass difference between the Tritonia and SoSM is actually in the Tritonia's pommel. It's quite interesting to experience two swords designed for the same purpose -- i.e. dedicated cavalry swords -- that really feel nothing alike. The Gaddhjalt (and, for that matter, the Templar) feels "somewhat" more similar to the SoSM in handling due to the relatively far out CoG, but "somewhat" is a relative term. The SoSM is very obviously the most dissimilar-handling of all my single-handed swords.
--Grouping the swords I own with the totally non-scientific judgement of "similarity of handiness":
1)Baron(wielded two-handed). --Great reach and very lively in two hands. I need to break out of my single-hand sword rut and get some more two-handers.
2)Knight and Sovreign -- The Knight is a really sweet sword. The Sovreign is similar in handiness to the Knight but has 3 inches less reach.
3)Gaddhjalt and Templar -- Pretty similar handling.
4)Tritonia and Baron(wielded one-handed)
5)SoSM -- Only slightly similar to the Templar and Gaddhjalt when swung. The 9.25" CoG gives this sword far and away the most "blade presence" of the bunch. While it might sound like I'm knocking the SoSM for its handling, I'm just pointing out that the handling is very different. I think the SoSM is a great sword and worth every penny, the more so because of its historical importantance.

Regards,
Brian M
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Sun 22 Jan, 2006 4:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Brian;

Thanks for the very interesting reply detailled reply: Very useful. Cool

Kenton Spaulding

Reading list: 12 books

PostPosted: Sun 22 Jan, 2006 4:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Brian,

If you happen to have a camera and the time I would love to see some pictures of your collection. In particular a side by side shot of the SoSM and Gaddhjalt would be really cool. As good as Albions pictures are, it is always fun to see swords in relation to one another. Or maybe I've just got the Gaddhjalt on the brain because mine should be arriving within the next couple weeks Eek! in either case, any pics would be great!

Congrats on the new sword,

Kenton
Brian M

PostPosted: Mon 23 Jan, 2006 12:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Unfortunately I don't have a digital camera. That's what comes of spending money on swords I suppose!
I agree that a side-by-side shot of all the single-handers would be nice. I will try to borrow a cam in the next few days and get that done.

Brian M
Bob Burns

Reading list: 112 books

PostPosted: Mon 23 Jan, 2006 4:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Brian M wrote:
Unfortunately I don't have a digital camera. That's what comes of spending money on swords I suppose!
I agree that a side-by-side shot of all the single-handers would be nice. I will try to borrow a cam in the next few days and get that done.

Brian M

Well I sure cannot argue with your priorities! Especially, when it is spent on high quality swords! Big Grin

Bob
Steve Maly

Reading list: 23 books

PostPosted: Fri 27 Jan, 2006 9:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Kenton Spaulding wrote:
Brian,

If you happen to have a camera and the time I would love to see some pictures of your collection. In particular a side by side shot of the SoSM and Gaddhjalt would be really cool. As good as Albions pictures are, it is always fun to see swords in relation to one another. Or maybe I've just got the Gaddhjalt on the brain because mine should be arriving within the next couple weeks Eek! in either case, any pics would be great!

Congrats on the new sword,

Kenton

I'm not Brian, but how's this? Oh, did I mention that MY SoSM HAS ARRIVED TOO!!!! WOO HOO! Big Grin

Attachment: 29.5 KB
DSC01706a.jpg

"When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail." ~A. Maslow
Brian M

PostPosted: Fri 27 Jan, 2006 11:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This may be a dumb question, but did you purposefully corrode your Gaddhjalt blade? Judas Priest, you're killing me!

Brian M
Steve Maly

PostPosted: Sat 28 Jan, 2006 7:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Brian M wrote:
This may be a dumb question, but did you purposefully corrode your Gaddhjalt blade? Judas Priest, you're killing me!

Brian M

Yes! The close ups are available in the Collections section. I used the salt and vinegar method described by Sean Flynt in the Articles section. I had antiqued a Del Tin 2153 and was pleased with the results. It was actually much more difficult to get the Gaddhjalt to look like that. The great thing is, that if I get tired of it, it will clean up shiny new again. In fact, I had to clean everything off and start from scratch 3-4 times. I realize antiquing isn't everyone's cup of tea, but in person it looks fine with a richer character than a "bright" blade, and the darkened blade reminds me of the patina on the swords I handled from the Oakeshott Collection. Just take a couple of deep breaths and lay down for a bit. You'll feel better. Wink

I certainly agree with your assessments on the handling characteristics. The SoSM handles quite similarly to the Gaddhjalt, but just more so. The SoSM tracks very well and (without any cutting tests yet) I would expect it to deliver a powerful blow. The increased blade presence increases momentum and seems to pull the sword through the cut. However, the SoSM does feel much more "hefty" in the hand than the Gaddhjalt, and certainly encourages follow-through! This is not a sword that will stop on a dime. Big Grin

"When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail." ~A. Maslow
Edward Hitchens

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Sat 28 Jan, 2006 8:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congrats Steve and Brian! That's such a nice looking sword. That design really has grown on me.

Is there a review in the works for this one?

"The whole art of government consists in the art of being honest." Thomas Jefferson
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Sat 28 Jan, 2006 9:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve Maly wrote:
...I'm not Brian, but how's this? Oh, did I mention that MY SoSM HAS ARRIVED TOO!!!! WOO HOO! Big Grin

Congratulations on your new arrival, Steve, and thanks for the photo - worth a thousand words, as they say.

"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sat 28 Jan, 2006 1:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'd encourage any owners of this sword interested in doing a write-up on it to contact us. A formal review has a much more lasting affect than a forum post. Happy
Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/

Last edited by Chad Arnow on Sat 28 Jan, 2006 6:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jonathon Janusz

PostPosted: Sat 28 Jan, 2006 3:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congratulations on your SoSM, Steve!

So. . . uh. . . [looks around cautiously] . . . when is this one hitting the vinegar/salt bath?

Wink
Kenton Spaulding

Reading list: 12 books

PostPosted: Sat 28 Jan, 2006 6:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the pic, Steve.

Wow, that thing really is a brute. That picture really emphasizes what people have said about the SoSM, similar to a Gaddhjalt, except bigger (the word massive definitely comes to mind), and wow, that handle is short! Really neat.

Thanks a bundle,

Kenton
Steve Maly

PostPosted: Sat 28 Jan, 2006 6:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jonathon Janusz wrote:

So. . . uh. . . [looks around cautiously] . . . when is this one hitting the vinegar/salt bath?

Wink

Thanks Jonathon!

Oh, I'll be starting that tomorrow! [ducks rock thrown by Brian M] JUST KIDDING! Laughing Out Loud

Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Sun 29 Jan, 2006 2:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve Maly wrote:
Jonathon Janusz wrote:

Wink

Thanks Jonathon!

Oh, I'll be starting that tomorrow! [ducks rock thrown by Brian M] JUST KIDDING! Laughing Out Loud

Hey Steve, I think you should do it!
Perhaps not as heavily as you gaddhjalt (from what it looks like on the pic), but a little patina. It would then become very close in character to the original.
Steve Maly

PostPosted: Sun 29 Jan, 2006 3:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter Johnsson wrote:

Hey Steve, I think you should do it!
Perhaps not as heavily as you gaddhjalt (from what it looks like on the pic), but a little patina. It would then become very close in character to the original.

With the Gaddhjalt, I left it at its darkest. A bit of steel wool would have lightened it quite a bit. The metal polish/cleaner that I used left the slightest gray haze on the blade during the "cleanings" until I got the antiquing "just right". This is what I would imagine from a original sword that had been cleaned but not restored. From the picture posted here (http://pics.myArmoury.com/view.html?smot1200-1250.jpg), the SoSM appears to have a rather heavy patina on the distal 1/2 of the sword. Peter, do you happen to have any color pictures that might better illustrate the level or extent of the patina? However, with the $$$ spent on it, I'd be pretty tentative to try it at all! What would that do to the darkened lettering? Would metal polish take it off or would the salt/vinegar solution remove it?

Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Sun 29 Jan, 2006 4:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

With the finish I think there are 4 ways to go:

1) Pristine: The sword as it would have looked new.

2) Campaign worn: What it would have looked after a few years of use in period but without any unfortunate battle related nicks in the blade or many re-sharpenings. Just a well used / mostly carried around for 20 years sword.
Although, in period any patina might have been regularly been polished off as I doubt it would have been appreciate then as aesthetic and any patina might have been seen as neglecting ones equipment.

3) Well preserved historical sword with varying degrees of patina or mild pitting.

4) Very corroded relic.

Personally with a sword costing $$$$ option 1 and 2 seem best for me. Option 3 if one wants to simulate a museum piece display, with option 4 being " extreme " and I would only distress something only $$ to this degree.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Sword of St. Maurice Turin
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: