Question about blackening same
In the next couple of months I will be rewrapping the tsuka on my Hanwei Practical Plus Katana, since I will be replacing the fuchi, kashira and menuki. I would like to blacken the same as well, and I'm trying to find the best way that is easy, as historically acuurate as possible, and will be able to stand up to hours of use without bleeding onto my hands. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Re: Question about blackening same
Robert Zamoida wrote:
In the next couple of months I will be rewrapping the tsuka on my Hanwei Practical Plus Katana, since I will be replacing the fuchi, kashira and menuki. I would like to blacken the same as well, and I'm trying to find the best way that is easy, as historically acuurate as possible, and will be able to stand up to hours of use without bleeding onto my hands. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Black Lacquer is historically accurate and it wont bleed. Is it easy? that is relative to the person using it :)
How so? I have no experience working with laquer?
Robert Zamoida wrote:
How so? I have no experience working with laquer?

I do not have much expirience with it, but I work with those who do and aparently Lacquer only cures properly in very thin coats and the proper humidity. Otherwise it can wrinkle up or take weeks to harden. If your not used to its behavior it might be hard to get good results the first time around. It is basically paint and any hard cureing coating should work. Automotive paints are frequently used instead to eliminate the time and dificulties that seem to come with tranditional lacquers. There are a number of black epoxy paints that would probly do the trick aswell.
Really? Which ones do you recommend?
Robert Zamoida wrote:
Really? Which ones do you recommend?

Yes "really". :)
I cannot reccomend any of them without first hand expirience in the application. I have honestly never tried to black Same. I know lacquer was used and a number of products seem to do the same job with less trouble for the saya. Perhaps someone who does that kind of work may pop in and give more specific recommendations.
Thanks Patrick! :)

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: