Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Swordcanes and there origins Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Jeffrey McClain

PostPosted: Thu 29 Dec, 2005 1:18 pm    Post subject: Swordcanes and there origins         Reply with quote

I am curious to know if anyone has info on the gentlemenly art of swordcane's? I have read that it started in Spain, but was it a system created on its own,or was its origins a by product of the smallsword when it fell out of fashion? How did its popularity spread to victoria England and then into the culture of southern United States?
Jeffrey McClain

PostPosted: Sat 07 Jan, 2006 7:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I was hoping someone would jump in here and fill in the blanks on this weapon. I have begun doing my own research and it would appear that swordcanes have been found in ancient eygptian tombs dating back as far as 1334 B.C. Moving forward a few centuries, Starting sometime around 1650 A.D., we see the rise and popularity of cane's being carried by gentry and aristocrat's throughout Europe, a consequence of the impractical need for daily carry and in some case's, prohibition of wearing swords in public. Fencing instructors,seeing opportunity, particulary Italian and french masters, begin teaching defense systems using the cane based on well established fencing weapons like the Saber. Its at this point that the swordcane re-emerges from history and is born again in Italy. This time with its own martial art, part epee/saber/ part stick-fighting and its popularity is felt by both aristocrat and tradesman of the time. Written text give details of swordcanes being used in duels and in matters of self defense all the way into the 19th century.
This sword, I know is small in comparison to many of the sword discussed on this forums, but it still shares a part in European/western martial arts and might warrant a second look
Any help and guidance in research on the subject will greatly be appreciated.

To look at a real craftsman of swordcanes go to www.swordcane.com Mr Burgers work is world class
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sat 07 Jan, 2006 8:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm also surprised that nobody has more knowledge to share about sword canes. Unfortunately I can't bring any knowledge to the discussion except stuff seen in Movie like the Jim Bowie one with Alan Ladd and some vaguely remembered sword cane inside a long 18th century walking stick. Oh, and a series of movies about a blind swordsman whose sword is hidden in a cane. ( that I can't remember the name of just now ).

But thank for bringing forward what you have been able to find.

Oh, sometimes if a topic doesn't get any replies it ends up being pushed down and out of view by new topic: I think one can bump up an unanswered topic one or two times before giving up on it.

Jeffrey: So I'm giving it a friendly " bump " and at least giving you the feedback that " yes " somebody read your post. Big Grin

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Gavin Kisebach

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 08 Jan, 2006 5:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This is a tough one for sure. I found references to a Roman "dolon", being a concealed blade in a riding crop or cane, and a Japanese "shikomizue", their version of the sword cane. I assume the dolon is a reference to the spy from the Illyad, but can't confirm it, and it's not passing the smell test. The Shikomizue, I have no idea if that's a real deal or a romantic notion taken as fact. I do know it's often stated as fact (usually by eager merchants) that after the wearing of swords in Japan was outlawed, that swordcanes became very popular there. Good luck on this one.
There are only two kinds of scholars; those who love ideas and those who hate them. ~ Emile Chartier
Jeffrey McClain

PostPosted: Mon 09 Jan, 2006 9:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have started to read a book titled " Dueling with the sword and pistol" Paul Kirchner, Paladin press; brief reference to the use of swordcanes used in Duels, mainly in America. The famous duel of Thomas Ritchie Jr vs. John pleasants Of Virginia Feb 25 1845. when pistols failed the combatants grabbed saber and swordcane and went at it with deadly consequences. A situation similar to the famous sand bar duel in Natchez, Miss involving Jim Bowie, where he was reported being shot and stabbed three times by a sword cane.
The book talks about incidents of canings going back as early as 1726 in Europe, but no references to the use of swordcanes in that same time period. From reading this book, it gives you the idea that the swordcane was very much an American weapon of choice, particulary in the Southern parts of the the United States, where it was widely carried, and the knowledge on how to use it was studied in the Salle's of the French Quarter in New Orleans.
I was told recently that the Martinez academy in New York teaches Spanish cane fighting, I was hoping to get in touch with them , hoping maybe they could shed some light on the subject. Maybe even attend a seminar. Anyone know the best way to get in contact with them?
JM
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Tue 10 Jan, 2006 6:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeffrey McClain wrote:
I was told recently that the Martinez academy in New York teaches Spanish cane fighting, I was hoping to get in touch with them , hoping maybe they could shed some light on the subject. Maybe even attend a seminar. Anyone know the best way to get in contact with them?
JM

You can try this: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Martinez+academy+NY

Happy The first entry should be what you're looking for. Thanks for this sword cane information. You've been able to find out much more about it than what the rest of us knew (hence the low rate of responses to this thread).

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Wolfgang Armbruster

PostPosted: Tue 10 Jan, 2006 6:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Does anybody know how the blades of these sword-canes looked like?
I could imagine that some of them were simply rehilted small-sword blades. Maybe triangular hollowground blades? Or rather slim lenticular cross-sections?
Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Tue 10 Jan, 2006 6:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sword Stick
- The Museum of Scotland, Edinburgh.
*Photos - (1.) T. McDonald, 2005. (2) Ron Luciano, 2003.

Attachment: 32.17 KB
sword stick MOS.jpg

Attachment: 95.92 KB
sword stick full.jpg

Jeffrey McClain

PostPosted: Tue 10 Jan, 2006 10:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thankyou Mr McDonald for the photo, another clue to add to the riddle. Do you by chance know the country of origin of this piece and possibly how old it is? It appears from the photo to be of carved wood with what looks like a ground down backsword blade. Any info you could fill in would be appreciated.

Vincere vel Mori
( conquer or Die )
Maclaine of Lochbuie family motto

Iain Mor 7 th Lord and Chieftain of Lochbuie, killed a Famous Italian fencer who
challenged all of Scotland to a duel in front of the King and his court.

Lesson " Dont bring a rapier to a Scottish broadsword fight"
Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Tue 10 Jan, 2006 1:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Jeffrey

I seem to recall that it was Scottish made, and of carved wood, but I just went through my photos and cannot find a clear shot of its description card ?

Here are a few shots that Ron Luciano took of the whole display !

Wish I was more help, sorry ! Mac

Attachment: 73.99 KB
MOS sword stick 1.jpg

Attachment: 67.23 KB
MOS sword stick 2.jpg

Jeffrey McClain

PostPosted: Sat 21 Jan, 2006 9:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I started reading a rather new book this week titled " The Bowie Knife" By noted author of historical weapons Norm flayderman who touches upon the swordcane at a couple different points throughout the book. Goes on to mention that it is one of the underrated, unrecognized weapons of the nineteenth century and that it was widely carried and used alot more than it is given credit for. He traced its origins back to the middle ages of Europe,a weapon of choice amongst nobility and royalty and it seemed to remain that way for a couple of centuries, it then became popular amongst the upper strata of society, both in fashion and for its use in personal defense. This also seemed to be true here in the America's, where it was the weapon of choice of the landed gentry, notably in the South.
If you get a chance to buy this book or get a chance to read threw it, I highly recommend it. The photography and the weapons pictured throughout are fabulous.

Still wanting to know if a separate art was taught on the use of swordcanes?

I sent a couple emails off to the Martinez academy in New York with no response as of yet

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Swordcanes and there origins
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic