Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Help for a new sword. Hilt and Pommel. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Andrea Romani

PostPosted: Tue 23 Aug, 2016 6:58 am    Post subject: Help for a new sword. Hilt and Pommel.         Reply with quote

Hello,
i need help from someone who know the subject more than me.

I'm about to get a new sword and i wanted to be sure that i can use for both the re-enacting group i'm in. The first one focus on the 13th century (1200-1260), while the second one focus on the 14th century (1350-1400).

I've looked through all the Oakeshott Tipology and the XIIIb should do well (i forgot to mention it will be a one-handed sword). I've got some issues with the Pommel and Hilt Style.

I was thinking about asking a Style 6 Hilt with a Type D pommel or a Type I pommel. I've searched on the internet but i couldn't find any Italian sword from 13th century (if it's ok for the first group i assume there won't be any problem for the second one being later) that could help me on this question.

Does anyone have any clue about which pommel and hilt would be used here in Italy during the 13th century?
Mark Lewis

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 23 Aug, 2016 8:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Andrea,
I think your ideas sound reasonable enough... some kind of wheel pommel, like type I or J, seems like the safest bet, and Oakeshott dates a few examples of crosses of type 6 to the 13th century, though something simpler like type 1 or 2 was no doubt more common.

Here a few pictures from 13th century Italian sources of swords with wheel pommels, broad-tipped XIII-ish blades, and one (backwards!) curved hilt. The sword itself was for the coronation of Frederick II in 1220, and is thought to have been made in Palermo.

Andrea Romani

PostPosted: Wed 24 Aug, 2016 1:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for the Help Mark Big Grin

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Help for a new sword. Hilt and Pommel.
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic