Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Source for Arrowheads? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Mon 09 Jan, 2006 11:09 am    Post subject: Source for Arrowheads?         Reply with quote

Can anybody recommend a U.S. source for historical-style, Anglo-European arrowheads? I need a few basic, large iron barbed/broadheads to make some darts. Any period of ca. 1100-1650 might meet my needs. These need not be highly finished or even sharpened. In fact, I prefer forge-black and can sharpen them myself. Any suggestions, you longbowmen?
-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Allan Senefelder
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 09 Jan, 2006 11:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean I can't remeber the fella's handle on ebay but he came on about 3-4 months ago and now routinely sells forged batches of both broad head and bodkin head arrmow heads that look pretty decent. He sell then in Collectibles/Militaria/Pre-1700 heading.
Nicola Tal

PostPosted: Mon 09 Jan, 2006 12:35 pm    Post subject: !         Reply with quote

Question
Greyson Brown

Reading list: 15 books

PostPosted: Mon 09 Jan, 2006 1:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nicola,

I can't tell for certain without a frame of refers for size, but some of those look more like forge tools than arrow heads. Could be wrong. unfortunately, they don't really help with commercially available arrowheads.

Sean,

By The Sword, Inc., has some purportedly Medieval arrowheads of obviously varying suitability and quality here. I know I have run across arrowheads elsewhere, but I can't for the life of me recall where. This will at least give you a place to start, though. I hope their prices are for at least a half dozen; otherwise, ouch! Eek!

BTW, I sense a DIY project brewing. You know how I feel about those. I usually end up saying unrepeatable things about you because you make me want to go out and try it. That said, if you end up having to get more arrowheads than you need, feel free to send some my way; I'll bet I could put them to use. Razz Technically, I could make a dart/small javelin with those still not violate the barracks SOP. Wink

"So long as I can keep the path of honor I am well content."
-Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, The White Company

Last edited by Greyson Brown on Mon 09 Jan, 2006 1:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Brent Rattan

PostPosted: Mon 09 Jan, 2006 1:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean,

Historic Enterpises has a few here:

http://www.historicenterprises.com/cart.php?m...&c=103

D B
Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Mon 09 Jan, 2006 2:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ah! Brent! That Historic Enterprises Type 16 is perfect! Many thanks to you and everybody else for your help with the search!

Sorry, Greyson! I think this will be a very cool project, and I should be able to assemble a nice batch of Irish darts for well under my $100 target for my bargain-basement DIY projects. In fact, I figure I should be able to make, say, six darts for under $60. You know I'll keep the gang here posted on my progress, but I have some other projects to finish before I begin this one. Spring or summer, perhaps?

-Sean

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Greyson Brown

PostPosted: Mon 09 Jan, 2006 2:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean,

Spring or summer is probably for the best. If you were to do this in the next couple of weeks, I would probably sucumb to the tempation, and (even though it doesn't specifically violate the SOP) stand a chance of getting myself in trouble.

I could see the headlines now, "NCO found flinging spears* out of third floor window. Claims research on repelling beseigers as defense."

-Grey

*Lets face it, reporters don't appreciate the difference between spears, javelins, and darts.

Chuck Russell

Reading list: 46 books

PostPosted: Mon 09 Jan, 2006 4:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

theres also a few on ehem... ebay (cough sputter) hehehe that arent bad. i saw some this past weekend that i liked. usually go for 25 for 6 in bodkin points
Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Mon 09 Jan, 2006 6:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ooohh, thanks! Those socketed lanceolate heads sold by that guy on Ebay also look very appropriate. What to do? What to do? It's an embarrassment of riches! I can see that I'm going to need to do a bit more research on Irish darts since it seems I'll have some choice in the form of heads I purchase. I may be able to find a pretty close match. This is going to turn out even better than I hoped!
-Sean

Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Tue 10 Jan, 2006 8:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I ordered 6 of HE's modified Type 16 barbed broadheads. I wanted only three heads (at $6 each), but the minimum order is $25. So I got six heads on the theory that this would give me two typical sets of three darts each. Maybe I'll sell three of the heads or completed darts to defray expenses. Total for all 6 heads was around $47, with shipping (a steep $12).
-Sean

Elling Polden

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 10 Jan, 2006 8:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greyson Brown wrote:

I could see the headlines now, "NCO found flinging spears* out of third floor window. Claims research on repelling beseigers as defense."
[/i]

Blame it on budget cuts.

<insert propper rank> Brown, Head of Research on the The AGPM2W program, could today report that the Army's new Anacronistic General Purpose Missile and Melee Weapon is ready for field testing.
The AGPM2W is the result of a extensive, multi million dollar research program, and includes the essence of 7000 years of accumulated experience in Missile and Melee combat.
<Rank> Brown asures that the investment will safe countless tax dollars in the future, and that the replacement of the M16A2 rifle with the AGPM2W will allow US troops to remain in Iraq for a indefinite amount of time at a fraction of todays cost.

"this [fight] looks curious, almost like a game. See, they are looking around them before they fall, to find a dry spot to fall on, or they are falling on their shields. Can you see blood on their cloths and weapons? No. This must be trickery."
-Reidar Sendeman, from King Sverre's Saga, 1201
Greyson Brown

PostPosted: Tue 10 Jan, 2006 8:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I propbably don't have to tell you that we want pictures when you get around to puttin gthese together.

And if you really need another home for those three extra heads, I am always willing to help people out by letting them donate their stuff to me. Aren't I just such a great guy? Laughing Out Loud

-Grey

Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Tue 10 Jan, 2006 9:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oh, there'll be photos, for sure.

Post edited to reflect safety concerns raised by Greyson

-Sean

Last edited by Sean Flynt on Tue 10 Jan, 2006 10:24 am; edited 2 times in total
Greyson Brown

PostPosted: Tue 10 Jan, 2006 9:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean,

I've read that part of the label on my body armor too often to be comforted by your suggestion. Besides, those folks don't need any more ideas.

-Grey

Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Tue 10 Jan, 2006 10:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Although I'd argue that modern insurgencies are too well funded, equipped and trained to bother with this, who knows what some loon might do with that info during a civil disturbance. I've edited that post out of respect for Greyson's concerns. Kooks can, and do, readily find much more dangerous information, but at least they might have to pay or search harder for it.
-Sean

Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Tue 10 Jan, 2006 10:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greyson;

You might have to wear maille beneath your kevlar, but probably would not enjoy it.

And Sean, Greyson is right those folks don't need any new ideas or more accurately " old ideas ".
( Edited: Deleting the specifics was a good idea. )

As an aside, the shape / coverage / design of modern body armour could benefit from old armour design.
What if one used plate armour / brigantine design and covered the plate with ceramic / kevlar one might get much better ballistic protection as well as piercing protection.

In a very futuristic concept some sort of cooling / heating undergarment could keep body temperature at a reasonable comfort level ! Add MBC protection when needed and a helmet with heads-up tactical / communication display and active camo. I'm sure something good like this could be developed quickly even with current technology.

One problem is that these concepts end up becoming Billion dollar defence research contracts where the process never seems to finish except in an over expensive boondoggle.

Such small arms and bomb resistant armour need not be general issue but could be used actively by special forces, entry teams and be used passively where one is vulnerable to suicide attacks at checkpoints etc ......

Well, nobody is consulting me / us for ideas. Eek! Laughing Out Loud

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Greyson Brown

PostPosted: Tue 10 Jan, 2006 10:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean,

I wasn't trying to make you edit you post. At the same time, I do appreciate your willingness to do so. As the guy wearing that body armor sometimes, I do get king of nervous when I start read, "hey, guess what? It can do this, but not that other thing."

Thanks. You're right, though, I was a lot more worried about rockets and mortars than I was about some berserker with a javelin and a tire iron.

-Grey

Greyson Brown

PostPosted: Tue 10 Jan, 2006 10:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
As an aside, the shape / coverage / design of modern body armour could benefit from old armour design.
What if one used plate armour / brigantine design and covered the plate with ceramic / kevlar one might get much better ballistic protection as well as piercing protection.

Most definitely! People I worked with got tired of hearing about some old fashioned thing called a coat of plates, which SPC Brown felt should have been used as the basis for the body armour, rather than trying to emulate a modern button-up shirt. Good grief, the thing has a pocket for the plate that Sean originally mentioned, but no adjustments to take into account how said plate changes the shape, and thus closure, of the thing.

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
In a very futuristic concept some sort of cooling / heating undergarment could keep body temperature at a reasonable comfort level ! Add MBC protection when needed and a helmet with heads-up tactical / communication display and active camo. I'm sure something good like this could be developed quickly even with current technology.

I didn't see any NBC-incorporating stuff at the Land combat Expo, but they were showing off the climate control stuff. It is kind of bulky, so they use it for gunners. Those are the guys who need it most. They are exposed more, so they get extra body armour, and then they stand in direct sunlight. I don't envy them.

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
One problem is that these concepts end up becoming Billion dollar defence research contracts where the process never seems to finish except in an over expensive boondoggle.

Such small arms and bomb resistant armour need not be general issue but could be used actively by special forces, entry teams and be used passively where one is vulnerable to suicide attacks at checkpoints etc ......

I wish it were that simple. I worked in an office the entire time I was in Iraq. I went on one convoy. That should mean I was pretty safe, and comparatively I was. I still had to walk 2 + miles (about 1.2 miles each way) along the Tigress river every day in order to get to that building I worked in. I litterally walked right past points where mortars had landed the day before.

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Well, nobody is consulting me / us for ideas.

I noticed that, and commented on it, and nothing seems to change.

I'm going stop now, otherwise I will end up kidknapping this thread outright and turning it into my own personal rant session on modern body armor WTF?! (you notice that I don't give it the honor of spelling it with a "u" Big Grin ).

-Grey

Elling Polden

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 10 Jan, 2006 11:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Anyhow, few of the weapons of old can compare to the good old Molotov for sheer anti-autoritarian nastyness...
"this [fight] looks curious, almost like a game. See, they are looking around them before they fall, to find a dry spot to fall on, or they are falling on their shields. Can you see blood on their cloths and weapons? No. This must be trickery."
-Reidar Sendeman, from King Sverre's Saga, 1201
Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Tue 10 Jan, 2006 11:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greyson Brown wrote:
Sean, I wasn't trying to make you edit you post.

That's the only reason I edited it! If you had been, I might have just lobbed a dart at you instead Laughing Out Loud

As for body armor, I'll just add that it would be a step in the right direction if we would simply equip troops with the armor tech we actually have. Chilling story in the NYT over the weekend.

Sorry for taking us so far off course!

-Sean

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Source for Arrowheads?
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: