Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Another new MRL grip Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Greyson Brown

Reading list: 15 books

PostPosted: Sat 07 Jan, 2006 5:40 am    Post subject: Another new MRL grip         Reply with quote

When I was home for Christmas, I took the time to redo the grip on my MRL/Windlass Falchion. I wanted to post it partly just so people could see the difference between Sean Flynt's and mine. I think it is always interesting to see how two projects using the same things end up different.

My grip was partially inspired by the grip on the effigy of Gunther von Schwarzburg, which can be seen in figure 77 in Oakeshott's Sword in the Age of Chivalry. That effigy shows a central riser (on a bastard sword, mind you) composed of two risers that cross, forming an "X." The double risers at top and bottom were my own fancy. I can't really call this an historically accurate grip (I haven't seen any done quite this way), but I think it still qualifies as historically plausible.

For those who haven't seen it, Sean's MRL Falcion grip:

My MRL Falchion grip:

Attachment: 15.76 KB
DSC01834.JPG

"So long as I can keep the path of honor I am well content."
-Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, The White Company
Aaron Schnatterly

Reading list: 67 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 07 Jan, 2006 6:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Looks nice, Grey. It is pretty interesting how much of a difference a "simple" change like that makes in the same piece. I've been party to a number of discussions over the years in the reenactment community around having some variety in the pieces used - to avoid that cookie-cutter look. This is an excellent way to personalize and individualize pieces so that even with a limited number of options available, there is enough variation.

I know you've done a few of these grip projects, and your experience and familiarity shows. Would you want to share how you made the crossed over risers? Looks cleanly executed!
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Sat 07 Jan, 2006 6:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Looks good, Grey. Any photos of the work in progress?
"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Sat 07 Jan, 2006 7:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Looks great, as usual! This is a great (and easy) way to upgrade/personalize the pieces in one's collection. I'm having a go at a new mace grip in the next day or so.
-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Greyson Brown

PostPosted: Sun 08 Jan, 2006 4:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Aaron Schnatterly wrote:
Would you want to share how you made the crossed over risers? Looks cleanly executed!

I'm not a big fan of the word proprietary, so of course I'll share, but it isn't too big a mystery. Before I glued the cord in place, I drew a couple of lines on the grip, so that I would know where to place my risers. I then glued one riser all the way around on the diagonal. The other riser is actually done in two pieces so that they don't have a bulky over lap. The tricky part was doing the cord overwrap once the leather was on.

I used croquet thread so that I would get good definition. I had to do a figure-eight pattern in which I ran the cord from the bottom of one riser and then bring it over the top where they cross. I was still wrapping cord on the diagonal at this point. By doing that, the cord was basically pulling towards itself, and it kept things tight. After a couple of wraps, I would run the cord around once without switching it to the other side of the riser (i.e. coming back down with the cord on above the riser, I would leave it above), so that I was then repeating the process on the opposite side of the riser.

In order to wrap the cord around the other half of the riser, I just did one quick, horizontal, wrap around the grip. Once I had outlined all four facets of the crossed risers, I just wrapped the cord around the grip normally. Because of all the overlapping where the two risers meet, it really isn't as pretty as the picture makes it look. There is hodge-podge of lines running through there. Still, I am happy with it; in fact, I think it is the best grip I have done so far.

One other thing that I did to make this one a little nicer was to avoid having the edges of the leather so at top and bottom. That was one of things I noticed about my Albions. They fold the top and bottom of the leather over so that there is a nice smooth roll, rather than an edge. In the end, though, the thing that makes this grip look so nice is that I used such a thin cord on the outside. You just get a lot cleaner lines that way.

Steve Grisetti wrote:
Looks good, Grey. Any photos of the work in progress?

No, unfortunately, I didn't think to take, or have anyone else take, pictures while I was doing it. I do have in progress shots of some of my other grips, but for this one, I just grabbed the materials, sat down in front of the TV, and wrapped the grip while talking to my brother, and watching Stargate: Atlantis (which has some very bizarre director/cast commentaries). The whole thing (excluding drying time) took just over an hour, which obviously didn't give me enough time to realize my lack-of-pictures mistake.

Sean Flynt wrote:
I'm having a go at a new mace grip in the next day or so.

Oh, Sean, you are starting to scare me. Have you been reading my mind? The other grip I re-did while I was home was my MRL River Thames Mace (I think I completely failed to get a picture of it, but I'll check). I did a loose spiral riser directly to the wood (much like on your rondel dagger). That grip is a little longer than some that I have done, and the chamois stretcheed more than I had anticipated, so the ends aren't as even as I would like, but it still looks decent, and the gripping surface is much improved.

-Grey

Aaron Schnatterly

Reading list: 67 books

PostPosted: Sun 08 Jan, 2006 5:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greyson Brown wrote:
I'm not a big fan of the word proprietary, so of course I'll share, but it isn't too big a mystery.

You're a good man, Grey! Thanks!

Grey wrote:
The tricky part was doing the cord overwrap once the leather was on.

I figured as much... Forming leather isn't terribly hard, just not always simple and straightforward. Like a lot of things in life, "Ain't nuthin' simple ever easy". Wink

Grey wrote:
Still, I am happy with it; in fact, I think it is the best grip I have done so far.

Of the ones I've seen, I'm inclined to agree. Like with most things, we continue to improve in our skills, too... and it looks like you picked up a couple of other little tricks, too...

Sean Flynt wrote:
I'm having a go at a new mace grip in the next day or so.

Grey wrote:
The other grip I re-did while I was home was my MRL River Thames Mace...

Funny... I'm very seriously contemplating regripping my A&A French Gothic mace... just not happy with what's on there now, and I think I can personalize it a touch. I'll just have to think on the design I want to use. There are enough surviving period pieces that I should be able to come up with some good "yes, it was done" examples. Plain, unadorned, untextured black leather just isn't doing it for me. Wink
Greyson Brown

PostPosted: Tue 19 Sep, 2006 6:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've been meaning to add a larger picture of this grip for some time. Since I recently upgraded my membership and now have more forum posting space, I really have no excuses (not that I had any before...). Hopefully, you can see things a little more clearly with this picture. Enjoy!

-Grey

Attachment: 35.04 KB
Falchion.JPG

Last edited by Greyson Brown on Tue 19 Sep, 2006 2:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Tue 19 Sep, 2006 7:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very nicely done. Your work adds quite a bit to the aesthetics of that sword.
M. Eversberg II

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Thu 21 Sep, 2006 7:34 pm    Post subject: MRL         Reply with quote

I own a sword by MRL, the "Classical Medieval Sword" and I've only heard bad things about MRL. (Unfortunatly I had already bought my sword, but now I'm in the market for an Albion.) The only complaint I have about my personal sword is that the peening comes a tad loose with use and it causes the crossguard to rattle.

So my question is how well does that sword hold up? I was considering a few years from now picking up a second albion, a falchon, as its a rather unique sword type.

M.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Greyson Brown

PostPosted: Fri 22 Sep, 2006 5:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If you do a forum search for information on MRL/ Windlass swords, or read the reviews, you will find that people generally agree that they are decent, functional swords, but not up to par with manufacturers like Albion or Arms & Armor. For the price, that really can't be expected. The only MRL sword that I am dissapointed with is the Norman Sword (usually in the same picture as the Classic Medieval Sword, when both were still in production). It just does not balance well. I cannpt comment on your sword, but I would say that, if it does what you want, there is no reason to dicount it. That said, I have become a devotee of Albion, and will probably not buy many more MRL/Windlass swords.

-Grey

Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Fri 22 Sep, 2006 6:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

M.--see my review of this falchion here:

http://www.myArmoury.com/review_mrl_falc.html

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Another new MRL grip
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic