Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > New sword from Del Tin Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sun 01 Jan, 2006 10:41 pm    Post subject: New sword from Del Tin         Reply with quote

Check out the new DT5159 from Del Tin. From their site:

INFANTRYMAN SWORD. England, mid 15th Century ~overall lenght 85 cm, weight 1150 gr.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Mon 02 Jan, 2006 5:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Looks nice, Nathan. It resembles that MRL Wakefield sword that you had (have?), but without the reverse curve on the blade.
"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Chuck Russell

Reading list: 46 books

PostPosted: Mon 02 Jan, 2006 6:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

ya i saw that on there website about a month or so ago. looksnice, handle looks kinda fat hehehe. its a 15thc sword. the wakefield is the same type aof falchion as this. if i can find one at a decent price i may get it this year
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Mon 02 Jan, 2006 8:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The hilt of the original sword known as the "Wakefield" sword is quite different in form. Its pommel is just a flat, horizontal cap with a circular vertical "tail" pierced by single large hole. The end of the knucklebow is of the same form as this tail and almost contacts it. The MRL and Del Tin swords are more like a group of weapons in the Royal Armouries. However, those weapons make clear that this particular type should have a secondary knucklebow starting in the center of the quillon (outside) and reaching some distance up the grip (some go all the way to the pommel), protecting the outside of the user's hand.

Whoever designed the original version of this replica may have been working from a poor photograph of Royal Armouries sword IX.144 (1460), whose secondary knucklebow (of unknown original length) is broken off, leaving just a stump that might not register in poorly reproduced photos.

See Mazansky's book for all this info and helpful photos.

This is a very attractive Del Tin!

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Chuck Russell

Reading list: 46 books

PostPosted: Mon 02 Jan, 2006 12:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean Flynt wrote:
The hilt of the original sword known as the "Wakefield" sword is quite different in form. Its pommel is just a flat, horizontal cap with a circular vertical "tail" pierced by single large hole. The end of the knucklebow is of the same form as this tail and almost contacts it. The MRL and Del Tin swords are more like a group of weapons in the Royal Armouries. However, those weapons make clear that this particular type should have a secondary knucklebow starting in the center of the quillon (outside) and reaching some distance up the grip (some go all the way to the pommel), protecting the outside of the user's hand.

Whoever designed the original version of this replica may have been working from a poor photograph of Royal Armouries sword IX.144 (1460), whose secondary knucklebow (of unknown original length) is broken off, leaving just a stump that might not register in poorly reproduced photos.

See Mazansky's book for all this info and helpful photos.

This is a very attractive Del Tin!

hmmmm ive seen the second knuckle guard on later but not 15thc versions. i'll have to look at some of my art books tonight
Addison C. de Lisle

PostPosted: Mon 02 Jan, 2006 3:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I believe Christian Fletcher offers an upgrade similar to that one for the Angus Trim sabers.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 02 Jan, 2006 3:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Addison C. de Lisle wrote:
I believe Christian Fletcher offers an upgrade similar to that one for the Angus Trim sabers.

He makes something with a knuckle-bow and a similar guard, but the resulting weapon is not a sword at all similar to this.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > New sword from Del Tin
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic