Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Knightly Movie Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next 
Mikael Ranelius

PostPosted: Sat 10 Mar, 2007 9:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It seems that the movie will look much better than I dared to hope for, really great pictures! But if the story follows the plot of the books, it will provide a quite distorted view of medieval history - and especially swedish medieval history Sad

Guillou's books about Arn have lead to a strong poplar interest in early swedish medieval history in this country, which is great, but his story has also unfortunately lead many people to actually believe that the state of Sweden was created by a knights templar, defeating the danes in two enormous, largely fictional battles. I fear that the international audience will be mislead in the same way
Tom Molin

PostPosted: Wed 21 Mar, 2007 5:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

New pictures!
Back in Sweden:

/Tom
Patrik Erik Lars Lindblom

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Wed 21 Mar, 2007 11:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Happy Some more!

A short film behind scen, scrool down to 2007-03-14 Smygtitt på inspelningen av Arn - filmerna
Link here

Frid o Fröjd!
Patrik

PostPosted: Thu 22 Mar, 2007 9:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Big Grin A bunch more of them! Pic's

Happy I think you guy's know him right now, Stellan Skarsgård again! Grey beard this time.

Frid o Fröjd!
Patrik

PostPosted: Sun 01 Apr, 2007 4:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well! there are some pictures you really can look at for some times, like this one. Cool
LINK: Some behind scen photos

Attachment: 123.45 KB
arnstorm3.JPG

Frid o Fröjd!
Patrik

Last edited by Patrik Erik Lars Lindblom on Tue 03 Apr, 2007 8:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Jared Smith

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Sun 01 Apr, 2007 6:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:
A Templar surviving the Battle of Hattin? I thought that, except for the Grand Master, all Templars left alive after the battle were executed by Saladin.

I will have to search hard to find it, but actually I believe several hundred of their organization (would assume sergeants and followers, some knights) escaped. The encyclopedia retelling does not distinguish knights from general Christians.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Hattin

Absence of evidence is not necessarily evidence of absence!

PostPosted: Mon 14 May, 2007 10:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Happy They have realesed more pic's today Here

Be there or ......

Frid o Fröjd!
Patrik
Brian Ellis Cassity

PostPosted: Mon 14 May, 2007 1:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I saw that a couple of people referred to the mail in the photos as being "woolly" or something like that. What does that mean?
Robin Smith

Reading list: 17 books

PostPosted: Mon 14 May, 2007 4:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

In older movies, they used "sweater" maille. It was essentially a sweater of silver yarn designed to look like maille. Many lower budget productions to this day use sweater maille, because of the considerable savings over using real maille.
Recently, WETA Workshops developed a new technique for use on the LOTR movies. For close ups they still used real maille, but long shots used maille made of spraypainted PVC rings. It looks considerably better than sweater maille, though to my eye, it still doesn't not have the right hang.
I have quite a bit of experience with maille (I fight in my riveted maille weekly), and the way some of the maille looks is off to me. The close ups are real maille, but if you look at the long shots, the maille doesn't appear to have much mass, doesn't have the right "hang" to it...

A furore Normannorum libera nos, Domine
Brian Ellis Cassity

PostPosted: Tue 15 May, 2007 6:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Robin Smith wrote:
In older movies, they used "sweater" maille. It was essentially a sweater of silver yarn designed to look like maille. Many lower budget productions to this day use sweater maille, because of the considerable savings over using real maille.
Recently, WETA Workshops developed a new technique for use on the LOTR movies. For close ups they still used real maille, but long shots used maille made of spraypainted PVC rings. It looks considerably better than sweater maille, though to my eye, it still doesn't not have the right hang.
I have quite a bit of experience with maille (I fight in my riveted maille weekly), and the way some of the maille looks is off to me. The close ups are real maille, but if you look at the long shots, the maille doesn't appear to have much mass, doesn't have the right "hang" to it...

Thanks! I noticed in the movie Kingdom of Heaven (see also Patrick's reference in this thread) that the mail--sorry, maille--had an odd look to it, but I assumed that it was due to the presence of a gambeson underneath. That was my best guess, anyway. Well, now I know!
Lloyd Clark

PostPosted: Tue 15 May, 2007 6:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Robin Smith wrote:

When I worked at Medieval Times, we wore "sweater" maille - I shudder to remember. As for the PVC maille, perhaps the "hang" could be improved by adding a row or two of real maille the bottom and the end of the sleeves to give it weight.

Just a thought. Movie pics are exceptional, can't wait to actually see it!

Cheers,

Lloyd Clark
2000 World Jousting Champion
2004 World Jousting Bronze Medalist
Swordmaster
Super Proud Husband and Father!
Jean Henri Chandler

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 15 May, 2007 10:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Is this film going to be released in the USA, and if not, when and where can I get a region 1 DVD of it, I really want to see this. So do about twenty of my friends.

J

Books and games on Medieval Europe Codex Integrum

Codex Guide to the Medieval Baltic Now available in print
Martin Wallgren

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Tue 15 May, 2007 10:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Henri Chandler wrote:
Is this film going to be released in the USA, and if not, when and where can I get a region 1 DVD of it, I really want to see this. So do about twenty of my friends.

J

It relises in late 2007 sooooo ... if you manage to get to Swordfish in November and we are lucky with the dates I could have it ready for you... One more reason to get over here.

Swordsman, Archer and Dad
Jean Henri Chandler

PostPosted: Tue 15 May, 2007 11:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Martin Wallgren wrote:
Jean Henri Chandler wrote:

J

It relises in late 2007 sooooo ... if you manage to get to Swordfish in November and we are lucky with the dates I could have it ready for you... One more reason to get over here.

Yeah that is looking less and less likely for a variety of reasons, I may not be able to go anywhere this year. I do have those swords made now though, need to check the shipping to Sweden. I'll PM you about that later this week.

J

Joel Whitmore

PostPosted: Tue 15 May, 2007 7:21 pm    Post subject: Templar Escapees From Hattin         Reply with quote

Jared Smith wrote:
Roger Hooper wrote:
A Templar surviving the Battle of Hattin? I thought that, except for the Grand Master, all Templars left alive after the battle were executed by Saladin.

I will have to search hard to find it, but actually I believe several hundred of their organization (would assume sergeants and followers, some knights) escaped. The encyclopedia retelling does not distinguish knights from general Christians.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Hattin

I need to do some further research but a cursory search led me to the Folio Society's History of the Crusades: Book II The Kingdom of Jerusalem. In Appendix II of that book a detailed account of the Battle at Hattin is put together with as many contemporary sources as possible. On page 397 of that book the author is talking about Raymond, Balian and Reynald of Sidon's escape, noting how it is probably their escapes were separate. He states:
Quote:
But Ernoul implies that they escaped separately, which is more probable, as they were in a different part of the army. They must have broken through with the few Templars whose escape is reported by Terance.

In the primary sources for this appendix we have: Benedict of Peterborough, II, 10-14 incorporating the lettr of the Genose to the Pope and the letter of the Templar Terance.

Apparently this Templar Terance or Terricus) was one of those escapees from the battle and lived to write a letter about it to brothers back in England. He reports that 230 Templars escaped. It will be interesting to find this letter and see what a first-hand account had to say.

Joel
Joel Whitmore

PostPosted: Tue 15 May, 2007 7:27 pm    Post subject: Letter of Terricus         Reply with quote

Just found this at http://www.ordotempli.org/ancient_templar_quotes.htm

Can't vouch for the accuracy of it but here it is:
Quote:
How many and how great the calamities with which the anger of God has permitted us to be scourged at this present time, as a consequence of our sins, we can explain neither by letters nor by tearful voice. O sadness! For the Turks, assembling an immense multitude of their people, began fiercely to invade our Christian territories, against which we brought together phalanxes of our men, fighting them during the octave of the Blessed Apostles Peter and Paul. To begin with we set out for Tiberius, which they had captured, having abandoned their camp. When they had pressed upon us in some very bad rocks, they attacked us so fiercely, that they captured the Holy Cross and the king and killed a great number of our men, so that in truth we believe on that day 230 of our brothers were beheaded, not counting the sixty who were killed on the first of May. The Lord Count of Tripoli, the lord Reginald of Sidon, and the lord Balian of Ibelin, and ourselves, were scarcely able to escape fropm that pitiable field. Then the pagans, raging without control in the blood of our Christians, did not delay in coming to the city of Acre, with all their multitude, and when thay had violently captured it, they invaded almost the entire land. Only Jerusalem, Ascalon, Tyre, and Beirut remain to us at the present time. Moreover, we can in no way retain these cities, in which almost all the inhabitants have been killed, unless we immediately receive divine aid and your help. They do not cease to attack us violently by day and night, for the city of Tyre is being unrelentingly besieged at the moment, and so great is their army that they cover the entire face of the land from Tyre to Jerusalem and beyond to Gaza, like ants. Therefore deem it worthy to send help as soon as possible to us and to the Christians of the East, at present all but lost, so that through God and the distinction of your brotherhood, the remaining cities may be saved by means of the support which you provide.

Letter written by Brother Terricus, Grand Commander to Pope Urban III and Philip of Alsace, Count of Flanders 10th July 1187

Joel
Tom Molin

PostPosted: Tue 22 May, 2007 4:51 am    Post subject: First clip         Reply with quote

Was released for the Cannes festival
No subtitles but mostly English anyway
http://www.dn.se/DNet/jsp/polopoly.jsp?d=2836&a=652667

Looks very for a Swedish movie!

/Tom
Jean Henri Chandler

PostPosted: Tue 22 May, 2007 7:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think the point of confusion is that I believe all of the Templars and Hospitalers who were captured were executed, but some apparently did escape.

J

Jean Henri Chandler

PostPosted: Tue 22 May, 2007 7:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Man this looks like one good movie. What is it the title in both Swedish and English so I can set up a "search-bot" to look for more clips on the web. What Crusade was this anyway? Third?

J

PostPosted: Tue 22 May, 2007 7:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Cool There are no more clips yet, but they have made a homepage for the film
http://www.arnthemovie.com/ Edit: Looks like there will be a Swedish homepage to www.arnmovie.se

and a small poster so far, i like that mirror effect in the sword they have made on it. Big Grin

Frid o Fröjd!
Patrik

Last edited by Patrik Erik Lars Lindblom on Tue 22 May, 2007 9:43 am; edited 1 time in total

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Knightly Movie
Page 4 of 6 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: