Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Need guidance to have a sword made Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Klaus Olai Johansen

PostPosted: Mon 05 Dec, 2005 12:10 pm    Post subject: Need guidance to have a sword made         Reply with quote

Hi

I have been fabeling for two years about having made a copy of a 8 century sword found close to where I live, Harstad, in Northern Norway. The sword was found in 1902 and are one of the finest viking swords being found in the Nordic countries. The pommel and crossguard are decorated with copper, silver and bronze inlays and intricate decorations, "gripedyr". The sword became famous when it was used as an advertisement poster for an archaeological congress held in London in 1980. Please see my avatar for a idea of the hilt or the web page (Petersen, sketch no 56)
fig no 56

I am planning to present the quest for re-construction as an article on myArmoury. The timeschedule as by now:
- Field research, Norwegian Archeological Museum (original sword) this winter
- Field research in the spring on the archeological site (historic background) and in a local museum were a copy are kept
- Finally, reconstruction work staring from the summer and onwards.

Reconstructing the patternwelded blade will require a skilled blacksmith and constructing the hilt will require an expert craftsman/goldsmith. Thus, maybe at least two craftsmen are required?

Do any of you knowledgable people out there know someone who will be able to reconstruct a copy of this magnificent piece? And of course, I want such a piece to be traditionally made and of high standards. So, please, could anyone provide some guidance to realization....

Thanks
Klaus

Klaus Olai Johansen
Norway
Paul Mortimer

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Mon 05 Dec, 2005 12:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

http://www.templ.net/who_is_patrick_barta.php

Patrick Barta will be able to help and will be very reasonable on price. The only problem will be his waiting list.

Good luck.

Paul
Tim Lison

Reading list: 6 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 05 Dec, 2005 12:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Perhaps JT Palikko could do it for you: http://www.kp-art.fi/jt/index_eng.html
Alexander Ren

PostPosted: Mon 05 Dec, 2005 5:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Try Jake Powning as well http://www.powning.com/jake/home/j_homepg.shtml

Alex

"The more you sweat in practice, the less you bleed in battle."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Shane Allee
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 05 Dec, 2005 7:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That is without a doubt one of my all time favorites of the Viking age, I look forward to seeing your final sword. Craig Stitch of Manning Imperial did one that was inspired by this one I believe several years back.
http://www.manningimperial.com/item.php?item_id=275

It has been a few years ago as well, but seems like I recall seeing a sword also inspired by this one on Jelling Dragon's website that was probably made by Paul Binns. Any pictures are long since gone now though.

If I'm putting my money out there to have a sword like this made as closely as anyone is doing today, the job would go to Patrick Barta without question. He is doing his own steels, seems to love the tedious stuff like inlays, and he is pretty much at the top when it comes to truly capturing the art and design styles of original swords. Since we are recreating with our modern mindsets, we will never be able to recreate art styles 100%, he is doing it at a level much closer than most of us can though.
C.L. Miller

PostPosted: Tue 06 Dec, 2005 7:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

www.templ.net

I am going to strongly second the recommendation for Patrick Bárta. While it is only my opinion, I have never seen anyone in the world who has matched Bárta's accuracy in dealing with this period.
I think that this is an excellent idea for an article, though it is obviously a long term project, I will be looking forward to seeing it progress!
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Tue 06 Dec, 2005 7:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The only other maker I've had experience with who's doing this level of work in this time period is Vince Evans.
http://www.picturetrail.com/vevans

Vince would undoubtedly do an excellent job but he doesn't take custom commisions anymore and it's awfully hard to get anything from him unless you're one of the special few. Still, it would be worthwhile to contact him.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Klaus Olai Johansen

PostPosted: Wed 07 Dec, 2005 11:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you everyone for your advices and recommendations. I will try to issue an article about the existing original and copy of the sword after the summer, with additional information on the background of the find iot put it into an historical context.
So, the making of a "new" copy will be a future part three to this article. Both Patrick Bárta and Vince Evans seems to be well capable to pull such a re-creation together - time will show.

I have added a better picture of the hilt to give you the possibility to admire the fine craftsmanship.

Thanks for your time

Best
Klaus

Attachment: 11.79 KB
Steinsvik sverdet I.jpg

Klaus Olai Johansen
Norway
Halvor Hjort Guttu

PostPosted: Sat 17 Dec, 2005 3:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Good choice! That is possibly one of the finest swords in the collection of the University of Oslo. Probably why its frequently in books about vikings.... Wink

Too bad there has never been made a thorough work about the 6000 viking swords found in norway... (weird fact: seems like norwegians were happily digging down swords while their neighbours were more reluctant. More viking swords found in norway than in denmark, sweden, iceland and finland together)

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Need guidance to have a sword made
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic