Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > King Arthur director's cut-anyone seen it? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next 
Joe Yurgil

PostPosted: Mon 28 Nov, 2005 8:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I agree with what Patrick said but I would like to add this: Since they did tout this movie as being about the historical Arthur, they oblige themselves to open up a history book at some point. I was dissapointed in this movie.
Sjá, þar sé ek föður minn.
Sjá, þar sé ek móður mina ok systur mina ok bróður minn.
Sjá, þar sé ek allan minn frændgarð.
Sjá, kalla þeim tíl min.
Biðja mér at taka minn stað hjá þeim í sölum Valhallar, þar drengiligr menn munu lifa allan aldr.
Chuck Russell

Reading list: 46 books

PostPosted: Tue 29 Nov, 2005 4:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joe Yurgil wrote:
I agree with what Patrick said but I would like to add this: Since they did tout this movie as being about the historical Arthur, they oblige themselves to open up a history book at some point. I was dissapointed in this movie.

bing bing bing give teh man a prize!!! Happy
C. Stackhouse

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 29 Nov, 2005 9:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

At least it's not excalibur :P
Above all else, be armed

-Niccolo Machiavelli
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Tue 29 Nov, 2005 9:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

C. Stackhouse wrote:
At least it's not excalibur :P

Actually I felt Excalibur was a far superior movie to this one.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Joe Yurgil

PostPosted: Tue 29 Nov, 2005 12:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think Excalibur was a far superior story too (surfing on the coat tails of another Big Grin). Now I will grant that the armor and acting were rather cheesy but I didnt mind that so much since the story itself was good. Espescially having read Le Morte D'Artur and noting the Reganistic Fisher King aspect of the movie. At least Excalibur had interesting themes it explored, King Arthur just kind of wallowed around in... well something i cant really identify. Wink
Sjá, kalla þeim tíl min.
Biðja mér at taka minn stað hjá þeim í sölum Valhallar, þar drengiligr menn munu lifa allan aldr.
Hisham Gaballa

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Tue 29 Nov, 2005 12:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Excalibur is a great film! It took the mythical story of Arthur as it was and didn't try to set in the real world. Big Grin

In fact I thought the Gothic style armours used in that film were quite appropriate considering that Thomas Mallory, Author of "Le Morte D'Arthur" lived in the 15th century. Happy

If you want a dud, what about "First Knight" with Sean Connery and Richard Gere? WTF?!
Marcos Cantu

PostPosted: Tue 29 Nov, 2005 12:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Since pretty much no one here likes how Hollywood has done King Arthur movies, what specific things would include if you were given the chance to make one? Details please...
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Tue 29 Nov, 2005 1:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Marcos Cantu wrote:
Since pretty much no one here likes how Hollywood has done King Arthur movies, what specific things would include if you were given the chance to make one? Details please...

On the contrary, I like King Arthur movies very much. I just prefer those that are well done. Excalibur is a well crafted movie with excellent production values. One of my favorites is the old Knights of the Round Table featuring Robert Taylor. It's production values were very good for the time and still superior to newer movies like King Arthur. I enjoyed the television production of Merlin as well, not at all bad for a mid-range production.

King Arthur and First knight are not well crafted movies in my opinion.

My criticism of movies on this subject rarely involves historical accuracy because I think that's something of a fools errand since we're dealing with fable. Besides, which era are you talking about when you want historical accuracy? The post roman era? Welsh legend? Breton fables? Tales of King Arthur are amalgams of stories from all of these eras and cultures. Honestly pinning it down is hard to do.

It is irritating when Hollywood puts these movies under the umbrella of historical "realism". They've done this with everything from the Arthurian legends to the Chainsaw Massacre. Ever since Saving Private Ryan "historical accuracy" has been the catch phrase, and there's quite a bit in that movie that smells of excrement. All I requite in an Arthurian movie is that the armor(pick you era, I don't really care) looks like metal instead of plastic or rubber, so that I don't expect Lucy Lawless to jump out of the bushes at any moment, and that the production has a good story that's well acted. Brooding actors who look like they haven't bathed since the ice age and scantily clad women, as well as flaming projectiles aren't the way to make that happen for me.

Paul Mortimer

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Tue 29 Nov, 2005 1:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick,
Perhaps we could compromise a little on the scantily clad females?

Paul
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Tue 29 Nov, 2005 2:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Paul Mortimer wrote:
Patrick,
Perhaps we could compromise a little on the scantily clad females?

Paul

Well, Kiera Knightly was the only redeeming factor in King Arthur and a nice one at that. Wink

Joe Yurgil

PostPosted: Tue 29 Nov, 2005 2:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

What about the Fisher King? Has anyone seen that? Set in modern times, but like Excalibur seems removed from reality and is very mythical and also very Arthurian.
Sjá, kalla þeim tíl min.
Mike H

PostPosted: Tue 29 Nov, 2005 4:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I thought it was ok. I've learned not to go to hollywood if I want to get a history lesson, I learned this long ago. What it lacked is character. The characters weren't the type that you cared for and had you crying your eyes out when they died(brave heart and lord of the rings did that to me) King arthur's sword looked wrong for some reason it looked like one of those made in pakistan swords that you can buy in the flea market.
Jonathon Janusz

PostPosted: Tue 29 Nov, 2005 4:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I just want to go on record as noting that Kiera Knightly has horrible teeth, in a jagged almost cannibalistic sort of way.

. . . sorry. . . had to be said.
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Tue 29 Nov, 2005 4:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jonathon Janusz wrote:
I just want to go on record as noting that Kiera Knightly has horrible teeth, in a jagged almost cannibalistic sort of way.

I have a very non PG-13 response to that which I shall keep to myself. Big Grin

Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Tue 29 Nov, 2005 4:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
Jonathon Janusz wrote:

I have a very non PG-13 response to that which I shall keep to myself. Big Grin

Surprised Thank you, Patrick.

"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Pamela Muir

Reading list: 34 books

PostPosted: Tue 29 Nov, 2005 5:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hisham Gaballa wrote:

If you want a dud, what about "First Knight" with Sean Connery and Richard Gere?

Ah, but you see, "First Knight" is just a costume drama chick flick, not meant to be taken so seriously. After all the cover of the DVD says "Their greatest battle would be for her love." It's just a movie version of a bodice ripper novel and taken as such, it is a very good one. I finally understood why Guinevere would be "torn between two lovers". Wink Starts humming a Mary MacGregor song...

Hisham Gaballa wrote:

Excalibur is a great film! It took the mythical story of Arthur as it was and didn't try to set in the real world.

I agree with you there.

Pamela Muir

Founder/Lead Instructor
Academy of Chivalric Martial Arts

"I need a hero. I'm holding out for a hero 'til the end of the night. He's gotta be strong, And he's gotta be fast, And he's gotta be fresh from the fight." ~Steinman/Pitchford
Carl Goff

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Tue 29 Nov, 2005 9:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jonathon Janusz wrote:

The movie had her in in that skimpy outfit, and you were focusing on her teeth?!

Might wanna check your priorities there, man. Razz

And y'know, if we had the money, we could probably make an awesome King Arthur movie.

Oh, East of sands and sunlit gulf, your blood is thin, your gods are few;
You could not break the Northern wolf and now the wolf has turned on you.
The fires that light the coasts of Spain fling shadows on the Eastern strand.
Master, your slave has come again with torch and axe in his right hand!
-Robert E. Howard
David V.

PostPosted: Tue 29 Nov, 2005 10:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The greatest Arthur film ever made

Last edited by David V. on Wed 30 Nov, 2005 9:35 am; edited 1 time in total
David Wilson

PostPosted: Tue 29 Nov, 2005 11:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Actually, the best *King* Arthur movie ever made, I mean ever, without exception, ever, beyond the pale of any other, is, of course....

Monty Python and the Holy Grail

"You can't exercise supreme executive authority simply because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at you!"

However, I must admit that I'm one of those that would like to see a decent Arthurian movie set in it's historical context (post-Roman/"Dark Age" Britain). This period of history is of interest to me, and I'd like to see it handled in a fairly authentic manner. Which King Arthur failed to do, miserably. It failed on several different levels, IMHO.

First Knight? Like Patrick said, an armored chick flick....
Excalibur is the definitive Arthurian film for the modern era. It is often times silly and over-the-top, but if you consider it fantasy (which it is), then that's okay.
Merlin was a fun miniseries, which did attempt to place the story in a semi-historical setting (no knights in shining armor) while retaining the Morte D'Arthur fantasy element. It actually worked...

I remember a British series based on the life of the "Young King Arthur" which was also an attempt to place the Arthurian story in a more historical context. No magic or knights, just a young man growing up in turbulent times. Don't remember much else about it, though... it's been a while...

David K. Wilson, Jr.
Laird of Glencoe

Now available on Amazon: Franklin Posner's "Suburban Vampire: A Tale of the Human Condition -- With Vampires" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072N7Y591
Wolfgang Armbruster

PostPosted: Wed 30 Nov, 2005 4:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
Actually, the best *King* Arthur movie ever made, I mean ever, without exception, ever, beyond the pale of any other, is, of course....

Monty Python and the Holy Grail

100% agreed Big Grin The Black Knight 4 ever! Razz

King Arthur is really one the very few movies where I skipped the boring scenes because it was just too .... dangerous for my mental health. Wink
However, I really like Ben Hur which is maybe not very historically accurate but very entertaining.

But there are historically accurate movies out there! Almost all Akira kurosawa-movies, for example. The 7 Samurai is a black-and-white movie but it's a thousand times better than most modern sword-movies. No lightsaber-katanas, no misrepresentation of historical facts, a great story, the god-like Toshiro Mifune...what do you want more? Happy
Kagemusha and Ran are masterpieces as well.

It's high time that someone makes a truly historically accurate movie about medevial Europe. *goes off to pray for that*

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > King Arthur director's cut-anyone seen it?
Page 2 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: