Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > a few fun questions for the forum :) Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
C. Stackhouse

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 08 Dec, 2005 4:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

When did I start Collecting?

I started about two years ago, when I got an Ivanhoe longsword from The house of Knives for my 17th birthday. My collection has expanded since then to include various hand axes, chinese swords, Indian daggers and a $30 fantasy Sword of Darkness my friend bought me for Christmas Razz. On top of that I have also made a few of my own items, A fantasy seax, throwing knives, copper headed javelins and I am currently working on a short scimitar. I also make and hand paint shields.

What got me into sword collecting?

A constant love affair with the middle ages, and those damned fantasy novels:) Mainly R.A. Salvatore and Maraget Weis/Tracy Hickman.

How did my collection get me to this forum?

It didn't. It was pure blind luck I found this site at all while I was surfing for warhammers. (The warhammer vs barrel helm test came up in the search results.)

What do I do with my collection?

I play around with them sometimes, but right now I just have wall hangers. I would try to hit a boiled egg with most of the stuff I have.

Is my sword collection worth it?

At the moment...no. But I love them all the same. However I want to start purchasing more long handled weapons (glaives, polaxes, hammers, spears etc...)

and Mr. Oster you are right. The pen Is mightier than the sword. And considerably easier to write with.

Above all else, be armed

-Niccolo Machiavelli
Bob Burns

Reading list: 112 books

PostPosted: Tue 13 Dec, 2005 1:48 am    Post subject: Re: a few fun questions for the forum :)         Reply with quote

Chuck Russell wrote:
what got you into sword collecting? Wife and I started going to the Renaissance Faire in 2002, after seeing many low quality swords at various vendors I came across the Arms & Armor location at the fair. My eyes about bugged out but I was not then in the financial arena to be able to buy a sword in this price bracket.

at what age did you start? and what did you start your collection with? I was 45 years old and it all started with the A&A 12th Century Saxon Spear. My first sword was the A&A German Bastard Sword in 2005 at the age of 47.

how did your collection bring you to this forum? does this forum help with your collection? I wanted to learn more about high quality swords, avoid getting ripped off, meet other people as obsessed or more obsessed than myself. So I went web surfing for a sword forum. This forum is integral to helping me build my collection!

what do you do with your collection? (ie wall hang, reenact, collect dust, testing demos etc etc) I keep my swords on a display rack, but I have to play / practice with my swords everyday, it is a compulsion! I also use my swords as a means of physical therapy for my back and shoulders. I study several of my books in practicing with my swords. I also slaughter cardboard boxes, I even get boxes from neighbors, this is both helpful in improving skills and a great stress relief.

all in all is your collection worth the time and money you have put into it? why?
Yes, every minute and every dime! I have always been interested in history and to be able to hold and practice with replicas of history is for me to kind of feel the history. To my own surprise, swords suddenly became extremely interesting to me.
Gavin Kisebach

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 26 Dec, 2005 5:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

what got you into sword collecting?

My dad started reading the LOTR trilogy to me when I was three years old. That might have planted the seed.

at what age did you start? and what did you start your collection with?

When I was twelve, my friend found a catalog of cheap martial arts weapons. I remember thinking "You mean they still make swords? Eek! Big Grin " I bought my first swords, two cheapo Wakazashis, for fifty bucks. I still have them. My parents still think I'll grow out of it. Ha!

how did your collection bring you to this forum? does this forum help with your collection?

Actually I'd gotten away from medieval arms and into firearms, this forum brought me back to the hobby. Considering how expensive this can be, help might be the wrong word. Laughing Out Loud

what do you do with your collection? (ie wall hang, reenact, collect dust, testing demos etc etc)

Until recently, just collect dust. now I'm more action oriented. Cutting is enlightening, to say the least.

all in all is your collection worth the time and money you have put into it? why?

Well worth it. I've gained a lot of respect for generations past by learning just what clever, masterful craftsmen they really were.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > a few fun questions for the forum :)
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: