Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Eric McHugh seaxes -- a reviewProduct Review Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Joe Maccarrone

PostPosted: Thu 03 Nov, 2005 5:26 pm    Post subject: Eric McHugh seaxes -- a review         Reply with quote

Last spring, Eric posted here about a project he was starting: a heavy war seax, based on originals he and Peter Johnsson had documented in Sweden. I was very interested in this piece, and discussed it with Eric at some length, but was waffling about the cost (being somewhat of a tightwad). After a few weeks of waffling, I called Mike Sigman to tell him I wanted that seax -- only to be told someone had beaten me to it. I later learned that someone was my wife, who had been listening to me blather about the war seax, and finally called Mike to buy it for me! Big Grin

Anyway, I've owned it for a bit more than a year now. It has been seen on Eric's page in the 'In-House Artisans' section of the Albion site, but has not gotten the attention it deserves...until now. Here are the stats, from Eric:
Viking War Seax
Overall Length: 27.25"
Blade Length: 22.375"
Weight: 1 pound 12.5 oz
Taper: 8.45mm (.332) base, 7.36mm (.289) middle, 4mm (.159) 1" from tip
Steel: 1075
Grip: Maple (aged) with German Silver wire and end cap
This is a heavy war seax.  It is meant to liberate an enemies hand from his body.

This is a terrifying weapon, indeed capable of splitting bone and severing extremities. With a balance point about 7.25" from the handle, it chops with tremendous authority -- but the point isn't to be discounted, either; it is extremely strong and sharp, and I certainly wouldn't feel safe from it in a mail byrnie...

Practical capabilities aside, this is a beautiful piece -- austere, precise, and clean of line, demonstrating the great pride Eric takes in his work.

Accompanying the war seax is a scabbard with a complex forged chape, based on an original in a museum in Scandinavia. Eric made the scabbard many times, never being quite satisfied with it -- but these are the demands he puts on himself. I was certainly far more than satisfied with the result.

The accompanying picture of the scabbard, taken by Eric while in-progress, does not show how the forged parts were later 'aged'; nor does it show the attached belt with hand-forged buckle. The entire ensemble, war seax and scabbard, offer no hints to their 21st century origin. A 9th-10th century Norse warrior would probably find nothing to raise an eyebrow over -- and would be delighted to own such a potent and well-crafted close quarter weapon.

This year, Eric has been making a series of small seaxes in the same style; as soon as he began posting them, I knew I needed one as an accompaniment to the war seax, to be worn on the opposite side of the belt. Eric made one for me with a stunning curly maple handle, silver wire and end cap, and filework on the spine. The blade is 7.25" long and about .2" thick at the spine for most of its length -- quite stout, and equally suitable for utility or for murdering your half-brother in the mead hall (you're not going to let him become the Jarl, are you?!).

I requested a simple leather sheath that was nonetheless period in feel, and Eric achieved just this, with incised decorations in the leather.

The accompanying photos were taken by Eric; though he disclaims their quality, I can do no better with my limited photgraphic skills. For more of Eric's work, and better photos of the war seax, please see his page at:
http://www.albion-swords.com/inhouse/eric.htm
Eric is a very talented smith, and a heckuva nice fellow to boot. I'll buy more pieces from him in the future.

Attachment: 40.13 KB
joeseax.JPG

Attachment: 31.58 KB
seaxinsheath2.jpg

Attachment: 99.66 KB
sax2.JPG

Attachment: 118.28 KB
ericsax3.JPG

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Eric McHugh seaxes -- a reviewProduct Review
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic