Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > myArmoury Exclusive Preview -- the next NextGens Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 72, 73, 74  Next 
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Tue 02 Dec, 2003 4:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Now I really can't decide which one of these swords to get -- the X!!, the XIIa, one of the two XVI's, the XVIIIb, or the XXa. How many more new designs are going to show up in the next week or so to torment me?
Howard Waddell
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 02 Dec, 2003 4:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:
Now I really can't decide which one of these swords to get -- the X!!, the XIIa, one of the two XVI's, the XVIIIb, or the XXa. How many more new designs are going to show up in the next week or so to torment me?

We have three (possibly 4) -- XI, XII, and another XIIIa or XIIIb we are still discussing (or both, since I can't bear to choose)... and that will be it for a while...

Then, we'll be concentrating on the next three swords in the Museum Line, and after these are all up and running, working toward complex hilts for the next wave of NextGens, and maybe some early period stuff...

All credit should go to Peter -- I am just another person whose dream swords are finally being realized...

Best,

howy

Albion Swords Ltd
http://albion-swords.com
http://filmswords.com
Gordon Clark

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 02 Dec, 2003 5:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Perhaps it would be less painful if you just debited my checking account every month and then sent me a sword a couple of times a year.

I have to echo the "you are making it hard to choose" sentiment. Those drawings are really nice - and Peter really is quite the graphic designer isn't he?

Keep up the good work!

Oh - one more thing - a falchion please?

Gordon
Geoff Wood

PostPosted: Tue 02 Dec, 2003 11:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Three New Swords Added         Reply with quote

Björn Hellqvist wrote:
Howard Waddell wrote:
Here is a preview -- has not yet been processed for the page yet... hot from Peter's pen...

*Looove!!!*

Now, with down-bent, slightly spatulate cross-ends (you know what I mean, Peter), it would be just perfect for me!

.......... and maybe a brazil nut pommel .............
Howard Waddell
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 03 Dec, 2003 6:05 am    Post subject: New Preview         Reply with quote

Here is the final line-up -- no more new swords until we get these done!

http://albionarmorers.com/swords/albion/nextgendraft.htm

Attached is a picture of one of the new ones, another XIIIa...

Best,

Howy

Attachment: 5.9 KB
smXIIIA2.jpg

Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Wed 03 Dec, 2003 9:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That XVa is very nice. I'm adding it to the list from which I can only pick one before Dec. 15th. That list is 7 swords long now.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

Reading list: 327 books

Spotlight topics: 32

Feedback score: 100%
(12 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Wed 03 Dec, 2003 9:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:
That XVa is very nice. I'm adding it to the list from which I can only pick one before Dec. 15th. That list is 7 swords long now.

Maybe Albion will extend the introductory pricing to Jan 15th for myArmoury.com members! [nudge nudge]

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Howard Waddell
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 03 Dec, 2003 9:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
Roger Hooper wrote:

Maybe Albion will extend the introductory pricing to Jan 15th for myArmoury.com members! [nudge nudge]

For you, Nathan, anything!

Consider this the official announcement -- introductory prices are hereby extended for registered members (only) of myArmoury.com until January 15th.

Best,

Howy
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Wed 03 Dec, 2003 9:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Howard Waddell wrote:
Consider this the official announcement -- introductory prices are hereby extended for registered members (only) of myArmoury.com until January 15th.

Holy crap. I was just kidding!! Maybe I should joke around more often like this?

Really, you rock.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Howard Waddell
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 03 Dec, 2003 10:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
Howard Waddell wrote:

Holy crap. I was just kidding!! Maybe I should joke around more often like this?

Really, you rock.

Its is always good to get called on something like this -- I wasn't really thinking about what time of year it is, and how it might be better to give people until after the holidays to think about this... plus it gives us something a little extra we can do for our good friends here...

Thanks for the great suggestion!

Howy
Gary Venable

Reading list: 16 books

PostPosted: Wed 03 Dec, 2003 10:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yeah, thank you Howy that is truly awesome. It will be so nice to get to use some post-Christmas money on something I want, (like the Duke).

Nathan, use your Jedi mind powers to get free shipping next. Laughing Out Loud

"You don't need any shipping costs" "We don't need any shipping costs" Eek!

Seriously though thanks.
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

(1 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Wed 03 Dec, 2003 11:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Forgive me if this has already been answered, but what are the hilt components going to be made of? Are the guards and pommels going to be steel for all of them? I really like the Landgraf (that's such an understatement!), though the picture of the painting shown on the site shows a sword with non-steel fittings, and I was just curious what the plan was for that.
Manny G

PostPosted: Wed 03 Dec, 2003 11:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Whoah - a new one... I haven't seen that new XIIIa sketch before - pictured above. What's the name on that one?
I have a printout of all the models since this morning. Also noticed the pommel changed on that XIIa (above) correct? I like the Baron pommel.

My first choice is the Landgraf myself, even though I won't be attacking any armor any time soon. I imagine the point of rotation on this one will be out beyond the COP correct? That would be pretty cool.

I do have a question -- since these are still sketches. Is the handle/grip of the Landgraf going to be a little thicker than pictured? On the lineup, it is right next to the Regent which has a much thicker looking grip in comparison.

My chain of thought regarding the grip goes something like this -- the Landgraf's blade is not as wide because it's hexagonal in cross-section (versus for example a hollow ground diamond cross-section blade) -- but visually, a thinner handle looks better in contrast to the blade's width... so, is it just thin on the (drawing) sketch? Then also, I think about some large 2-hander swords, for example a Claymore which may have a long, narrow, rounded kind of handle.
So I don't know the purpose or reasoning behind the designs of long handles, so I guess that's why I ask. Will it be round, or oval, and not too thin I hope.
(I realize these are just sketches for now, and the Regent may be the one that has a thick grip on the sketch.)

Also, how are the estimated weights on these? They seem to be more accurate than the early estimates of the Viking line (which were originally estimated at 3-lbs each -- they are actually much lighter).

continued...
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Wed 03 Dec, 2003 11:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bill Grandy wrote:
though the picture of the painting shown on the site shows a sword with non-steel fittings

I'd guess that the one in that painting is iron gilt with gold.

Manny G

PostPosted: Wed 03 Dec, 2003 11:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Although the Landgraf is my first choice... I am also looking at:

The Baron - XIIa (but wait! - the estimated weight has changed I think)
The Duke - XIIIa (if the XIIa and the XIIIa weigh the same, I'd consider the much wider Duke! -- ooh yeah!)

Those two would handle differently I bet...

But I may back out of those two and look at the Viceroy vs Regent.

Although the Regent is going to be lighter, I'd probably pick out the Viceroy first.

All of the swords are good! Definitely I will only pick out one of the long ones... but could conceivably pick out a single-hander in addition... hmn... Confused
Manny G

PostPosted: Wed 03 Dec, 2003 2:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Whoa again... 4 new models just today.

There is one that intrigues me. The hand & a-half Castellan.

Number two choice now is The Count XIIIa.
Joe Fults

(6 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Wed 03 Dec, 2003 2:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I can't wait to see these in steel. From the responses here, it seems fairly obvious that people have been waiting for these to get made by somebody for a long time.
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Lee Watts

PostPosted: Wed 03 Dec, 2003 3:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

just placed a order for the Knight XII its going to make a lovely matching piece for my albion acre.

roll on june
Gordon Clark

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 03 Dec, 2003 7:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm not complaining, but here is a picky observation ...

The drawings are meant to be to scale, but although the type XVI's are listed as almost an inch longer than the "Knight" XII, they appear an inch or so shorter. I actually prefer the 30" length, but I'm pretty sure 32.3 or so is correct. Can any of you Albion guys confirm?
Thanks!

Gordon
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Wed 03 Dec, 2003 8:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gordon Clark wrote:
I'm not complaining, but here is a picky observation ...

The drawings are meant to be to scale, but although the type XVI's are listed as almost an inch longer than the "Knight" XII, they appear an inch or so shorter. I actually prefer the 30" length, but I'm pretty sure 32.3 or so is correct. Can any of you Albion guys confirm?

They're not truly to scale.. not in an absolute manner, at least. I noticed the same thing.. but remember, these are simply concept sketches. For those that are pre-ordering, one must have a bit of faith in the abilities of the designers and makers at Albion. The sketches and preliminary guesstimates of weight and other specs are not going to tell all at this point.

In my opinion, and this goes to all you stats guys: you'll get more by studying the descriptions of the type of sword, the intended purpose of the sword, and the design philosophy behind each model. These things each speak volumes.

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > myArmoury Exclusive Preview -- the next NextGens
Page 4 of 74 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 72, 73, 74  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: