Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > C.A.S. Iberia/ Valiant Armory Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Joel Chesser

PostPosted: Sun 23 Nov, 2003 10:11 pm    Post subject: C.A.S. Iberia/ Valiant Armory         Reply with quote

Hey every one. I currently own a Valiant Armory AginCourt sword. IT seems to me to be a pretty good sword for what i payed for it something like $115.00 or so.
Anyway, I was wondering if i could get some comments on the C.A.S, Iberia/ Valiant swords.
Are they good quality for the price?
Are they worth purchasing, or would it be better to go ahead and spend the extra cash and get an MRL ( in case you haven't noticed yet i can only afford entry level pieces right now.)?
Any help and opinion would be greatly appreciated, I still learning so any info and advise be it positive or negative would be helpful
thanks all!

-Joel Chesser

..." The person who dosen't have a sword should sell his coat and buy one."

- Luke 22:36
Scott Byler

PostPosted: Mon 24 Nov, 2003 7:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, I think as you are aware already, the Valiant/CASI stuff is considered entry level by most collectors. Some of them are probably decent for the price, I'm sure... but, in a very general way, the old saying you get what you pay for is operative in the sword market just like anything else. More money will in most cases buy a lot more quality. (There are exceptions, ofcourse, but most of the time this holds true.)

MRL has some pretty decent stuff for the price as well. Although as you may have read, that over time a quality control issue or 2 has arisen with their products. On the up side, they appear to have definitely improved in recent times by most accounts.

I personally think that saving a bit longer for a better sword is a good idea unless you are after one to beat up a lot, and even then I wonder if it wouldn't be safer to go with a better made sword...

As for your own sword, how does it seem to you? How does it handle, does it flex and return true, is the weight manageable?
How is the edge geometry and blade shape? How are the fittings and handle? What sized tang is in there... All those things have a lot to do with judgine a sword, and it is a process of learning that a collector must master to be able to tell for himself the quality of a given blade. Not something that comes without cost, ofcourse. If you are like me, you'll find that what was good yesterday seems a bit less so today as I've over time come to appreciate and understand more and more about what makes a good sword... Problem is, I can't afford the ones I find to be good now... lol
Joel Chesser

PostPosted: Mon 24 Nov, 2003 10:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

yeah I learned long ago after i discuvered that my first sword was a rat-tail tang, that you get what you pay for.
like you though i am rapidly learning what is good and what is not and i also have to problem of not currently being able to afford the good stuff. Happy
as to my sword, i have a couple of complaints.
1. the sword is rather heavy, my guess is about a pound or two more then it should be.
2. the handle tapers a bit more then i would like, making it rather difficulat to grip.
3. right off hand i don't think that the blade flexes very much at all, if any.
4. I really have no clue as to what tang the thing has.

I have read some reveiws of other cas iberia swords and they seem to go either way.

Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 24 Nov, 2003 6:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It depends on which CAS Iberia product line you're talking about. There are two main product lines they import and sell.

Items made in the Phillipines typical have a three digit model number followed by "PP," like 034-PP. They are entry-level, low-cost swords. I've had some of these. They're too heavy, and lack the distal taper and good handling characteristics of more expensive swords.

Items made by Dalian Forge in Hanwei, China (owned by Paul Chen) are usually four digit numbers followed by "GT," like 2003-GT. I've also seen the same products listed on others site with "SH" in front of the number a la SH-2003. These swords have gotten decent reviews and are said to be getting better with each incarnation. I owned one of their Pappenheimer rapiers and it was a great buy for the $; much better than Windlass/MRL Pappenheimer that I briefly owned. Their newest basket hilts are said to be pretty good. Michael "Tinker" Pierce posted a good response to one of these swords that he had handled. I believe it was the mortuary sword. He complimented its handling characteristics. In my experience, and from what I've heard from others, they are a good buy, and sit between MRL and Lutel/Del Tin in terms of quality.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Scott Byler

PostPosted: Mon 24 Nov, 2003 6:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

True... I've got to remember the other line when I talk about CASI ... Guess you can tell which ones I've had the experience with. Happy
William Goodwin

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Tue 25 Nov, 2003 6:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just got the P-C Mortuary hilt #2004 (sharp version) last week. I love this sword! Took the recommendation of "Tinker" and glad I did.

William
Alexi Goranov
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

Reading list: 72 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 02 Feb, 2004 2:35 pm    Post subject: Valiant armory swords         Reply with quote

Joel,

I wish you luck with Valiant armory swords, as I did not have any!!!!! I purchased the mercenary sword for some $200. The tang bent breaking the grip during the first cutting practice from a 2L plastic Coke bottle. It cut through a milk bottle though before that (if that counts for anything). The broken grip revealed my worst fear: a RAT-TAIL tang. GRHHHHHHH. I was furious! I was thinking who in the right mind would put such a weak tang on a supposedly functional weapon?!?!?! But Valiant armory line (made by Pro Cut in the Philippines) are there to make money and not be very particular about the quality of their merchandise. I have considered writhing and e-mail to the Pro Cut president, but I am afraid it will be a waste of time.

Few other things I think are wrong with the Mercenary sword:
1. Heavy (~4.5 pounds for mere 35" blade , 48" overall)
2. Point of balance way too close to the grip (2" from the guard)
3. Completely round grip
4. The grip does not sit firmly on the tang (about 2mm between the tang and inner side of the grip), but is kept in place by some sort of glue.
5. The Inner side of the grip is ROUND as opposed to rectangular , which is the cross section of the tang.

Unfortunately, most of these details (minus the weight and balance) became obvious after the hilt got damaged.
I should have known better and spent $100 more and gotten me a Del Tin........... I still kept the sword and I am thinking of rehilting it and making it a decent "wall-hanger" type tool. Since then I learned not to believe cheep marketing logos. This forum is a very good place to get an oppinion on what's good and what's not so hot. I fixed my mistake my now spending close to $800 and getting the Baron from the Albion Next Generation line. I think that is quite an upgrade Laughing Out Loud

Good luck
Alexi
Joel Chesser

PostPosted: Mon 02 Feb, 2004 2:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow dude, that really sucks i'm sorry about that.
It does sound like you improved your choices by selecting an Albion.
I purchased Valiants Agincourt for around $115 or so.
It seems to be a tightly put together little sword, but like you i found the weight and point of balance to be most frustrating.
mine have done pretty well in test cuts recently, neatly severing several weeds i found that had grown to diameter of my thumb. So i was pretty happy about that. My biggest problems are the grip, which is far to wide near the guard, and the weight, these two things make it extremely cumbersome to wield.
I am personally only 17, but so cash for this sort of thing does not come easily. As i get a job however rest assured that i have al long list of words i want to purchase, Del Tins, Albion, artarms, and I admit it, a few MRL's which i hear are better then the valiant. Anyway, congrats with your new purchase.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > C.A.S. Iberia/ Valiant Armory
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic