Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > I feel... strange... There are no swords that I REALLY want. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next 
Michael P Smith

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Tue 18 Oct, 2005 8:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I say let him handle a custom Vince Evans or Peter Jonsson and his apathy will be cured.
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Tue 18 Oct, 2005 8:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Different priorities at different times. Cool

That's all.

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Tue 18 Oct, 2005 9:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bored with swords ! Time for some Polearms Razz Laughing Out Loud

Can't find that odd one nobody makes: Custom order / design one from A & A Big Grin

There are always ways to find more ways to go broke ! ( Actually Craig at A & A quoted a very reasonable price for my Langue de Boeuf. )

Just shamelessly giving A & A a PLUG here.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Aaron Schnatterly

Reading list: 67 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 19 Oct, 2005 4:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael P Smith wrote:
I say let him handle a custom Vince Evans or Peter Jonsson and his apathy will be cured.

Have... All the stars would have to line up on this one... As nice as pieces are by both of these gents, and a few other creme' de la creme' custom smiths, there's the issue of pooling funds, and answering "is this THE piece I want from this guy". You could pass 100 customs under my nose - it it's not MY sword, the one I really and truly wanted, you can keep 'em. I definitely won't snag a piece simply because of who made it.

... but I have spoken privately with both Vince and Peter... Wink

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
(He is stronger who conquers himself.)
William Goodwin

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Wed 19 Oct, 2005 5:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

With my limited interest in time period repros. (17th c.) I found myself switching gears also to some
degree. My last two swords have been vintage pieces... a 1897 pattern British officers sword & a model 1902 US Army officers sword, of course, getting them at smokin' deals was a big plus as well. Too, branching out to other time periods has helped in this lull, starting to become more interested in the Napoleanic Wars,BUT, still holding on to my ECW main interest and my Mortuary obsession.

Building a better reference library is another avenue to persue. But, once bitten by the sharp, pointy things bug, there is no going back.

Cheers,

Bill

Roanoke Sword Guilde

roanokeswordguilde@live.com
"I was born for this" - Joan of Arc
Jeff Johnson

PostPosted: Wed 19 Oct, 2005 7:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Aaron & Carl - I've got a good set of armor (Carl - I'm sending you to Chuck for a kick in the nuts for that bad punning)

Jean - I've also got a few nice pollarms (incl A&As)

Chuck - I'll be sure to wear a cup, and keep the 12-gage handy when you're here. A kite shield and mail isn't going to stop buckshot. Wink

Several - Hmmm... custom... The thing is, the swords I'd want custom would be so similar to the ones Albion already offers (and I already have).

Ya know - maybe the solution is to work on the swords I've got. Maybe customize them a tad. Plus, I could use a couple of new scabbards. Besides, I DO need to save some money for my boy's college fund. Maybe he's been distracting my from sword-buying habits. Maybe I'm being responsible. Eek!

Thanks for listening, and the advice!
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Wed 19 Oct, 2005 7:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeff Johnson wrote:
Besides, I DO need to save some money for my boy's college fund. Maybe he's been distracting my from sword-buying habits. Maybe I'm being responsible. Eek!

While I don't have kids, I've found that other side-effects of adulthood have put a severe crimp in my sword-related spending. Happy It's to the point that I'm now done buying swords and knives for a good while. Once the Sempach gets added to my online collection gallery, then the gallery will go unchanged for a while going forward, unless I update some items with new pictures.

If you don't have a specific hankering for an item, then it's okay. I've found that I've made some purchases just for the sake of buying something, rather than because I really wanted the item, and those pieces haven't lasted long in my collection. My collection is smaller than it has been in the past, but I'm happier with it, since I really like everything in it. It's okay to wait for something to light your fire again.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Aaron Schnatterly

PostPosted: Wed 19 Oct, 2005 8:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeff Johnson wrote:
Ya know - maybe the solution is to work on the swords I've got. Maybe customize them a tad. Plus, I could use a couple of new scabbards. Besides, I DO need to save some money for my boy's college fund. Maybe he's been distracting my from sword-buying habits. Maybe I'm being responsible. Eek!

Oh, no... not the "R" word! Razz

Actually, this may be the truth - priorities change. Not a bad thing...

Jeff Johnson wrote:
Aaron & Carl - I've got a good set of armor (Carl - I'm sending you to Chuck for a kick in the nuts for that bad punning)

Yeah, the armour was more musings on my own situation.

It's not an issue of becoming disinterested in the whole arms and armour thing (collecting, learning, etc.), it's an issue of actually being content with what is in the collection now. I don't think there's anything wrong with it...

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Wed 19 Oct, 2005 8:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It's strange how we get so involved in the accumulation of "stuff". When we finally have all of the "stuff" we want it's usually something of an anticlimax. I've personally gotten to the point where it's about learning more than accumulating. With one exception every sword in my collection is open to potential rotation. If I can find a sword or another bit of "stuff" that can teach me something the current ones can't I'm more than willing to let something go.

Being a responsible grown-up is also a bit of a pain at times. Big Grin

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Wed 19 Oct, 2005 8:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
It's strange how we get so involved in the accumulation of "stuff". When we finally have all of the "stuff" we want it's usually something of an anticlimax. I've personally gotten to the point where it's about learning more than accumulating. With one exception every sword in my collection is open to potential rotation. If I can find a sword or another bit of "stuff" that can teach me something the current ones can't I'm more than willing to let something go.

I've gone through those accumulation phases, too, where I was more interested in collecting than in my collection. I think I'm in a similar place to where Patrick is. Most items in my collection have the potential to be moved out, if something better came along to replace them. But I'm happy with it as it is now, and there's nothing I'm itching to replace (right now).

The learning part is more fascinating for me these days. That's why I went on a bit of a book-buying bender over the last month or so. Books, even ones that are out of print, are generally much cheaper than arms and armour. I only wish I had more time to read.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Jeff Johnson

PostPosted: Wed 19 Oct, 2005 8:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Aaron Schnatterly wrote:

It's not an issue of becoming disinterested in the whole arms and armour thing (collecting, learning, etc.), it's an issue of actually being content with what is in the collection now. I don't think there's anything wrong with it...

And I think that's where I am right now. I've not lost interest, nor do I plan to stop learning. It's that I'm not going to find any swords that are actually superior to what I already have in the periods that interest me. Contentedness is not a condition I'm used to. Worried
Aaron Schnatterly

PostPosted: Wed 19 Oct, 2005 8:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
... where I was more interested in collecting than in my collection.

Very well put, Chad. Yeah, I understand. Though I accumulated quickly, I had a plan - not an order, but a plan. My plan was larger than my collection, but I found that I can fulfil those requisite elements with fewer pieces. This leads me to:

Chad Arnow wrote:
The learning part is more fascinating for me these days. That's why I went on a bit of a book-buying bender over the last month or so. Books, even ones that are out of print, are generally much cheaper than arms and armour. I only wish I had more time to read.

Learning about/from the collection is now the bigger draw for me... and swords are only a part of it. Weapons in general are only part - impact weapons, missile weapons... still tools to understand. Books, armour, clothing as well. Above all else right now, I'm just wanting the TIME to spend learning the lessons I'm begging for - with all the tools I have litereally in hand...

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
Aaron Schnatterly

PostPosted: Wed 19 Oct, 2005 8:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeff Johnson wrote:
And I think that's where I am right now. I've not lost interest, nor do I plan to stop learning. It's that I'm not going to find any swords that are actually superior to what I already have in the periods that interest me.

Yes, sounds like we're in the same place right now.

Jeff Johnson wrote:
Contentedness is not a condition I'm used to. Worried

Foreign feeling to me, too... been restless in most everything for most of forever... I'm actually content with most elements of my life right now... somewhat confusing. If not for the weather, I'd have very little drama in my life.

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
Jeff Johnson

PostPosted: Wed 19 Oct, 2005 10:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Aaron Schnatterly wrote:
If not for the weather, I'd have very little drama in my life.

Not "drama", per se, but in the last year, I married, had my first child, sold/bought houses and the car I was driving was totalled by a cop who ran a red light in a high-speed chase.

The excitement of buying things pales in comparison. Wink
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Wed 19 Oct, 2005 2:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeff Johnson wrote:
...Maybe he's been distracting my from sword-buying habits. Maybe I'm being responsible. Eek!

How could you not be content with that little treasure? I think that your paradigm is shifting exactly as it should be Exclamation Congratulations Exclamation

"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Chuck Russell

Reading list: 46 books

PostPosted: Wed 19 Oct, 2005 2:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

hehe what it is is he has a wife that tells him he is content with his sword buying Wink hehehe

waa our jeffy's all grown up now. think i'm gonna cry hehehe. or jsut put another sticky fingerprint on his robert macpherson armour hehehe.

ya i collected a ton of "crap" swords till i started noticing better quality stuff. selling off old pieces bit by bit to get better pieces. jeff, you'd be proud!!
Jean Thibodeau

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Wed 19 Oct, 2005 5:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sort of satisfied with the swords I have at the moment: To get my attention it has to be a type I don't have already or one that I think will be a better weapon than a similar one that I already have.

Gaddhjalt: Early Medieval cutter with some thrust potential, long blade for a one hander.

Sovereign: Shorter but not really short pittbull of a sword, fast, good cutter and equally good thruster, blade just a little too thin to be ideal against plate armour. An ideal everyday, can deal with almost anything, in armour or civilian wear.

A & A Black Prince: Decent cutter, superb thruster, as good against armour as one can expect for a sword, feel much faster than it's weight would indicate.

A & A 15th Century Twohander : BIG !

Del Tin Venetian 16th century Twohander: BIGGER !!!

I have some other swords including a couple of Tom Marringer custom swords of my design from the 1980's: Nice but in serious need of a distal taper that they don't have because at the time thicker blade stock seemed like a good idea 1/4" and 5/16".

At the moment my period of interest is mostly between 950 to 1550 and usually 1250 to 1450, but I will go for something from different periods if I like what I see: Could go for a Gladius or Spatha or one of the more sword like Rapiers like the
A & A Cavalier or TownGuard Sword.

As to collectors fatigue I'm feeling that one with a hundred or so tactical folding Knives: Only something really new or different will attract my interest.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Bob Burns

Reading list: 112 books

PostPosted: Sat 22 Oct, 2005 2:06 pm    Post subject: No Desire for Any New Swords         Reply with quote

Wow Jeff, I hope you start feeling better soon! LOL

Bob
Gordon Clark

PostPosted: Sun 23 Oct, 2005 5:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:

When you want to "rotate" that Big Johnson out of your lineup, please let me know!
Gordon Clark

PostPosted: Sun 23 Oct, 2005 5:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeff Johnson wrote:
Aaron Schnatterly wrote:

And I think that's where I am right now. I've not lost interest, nor do I plan to stop learning. It's that I'm not going to find any swords that are actually superior to what I already have in the periods that interest me. Contentedness is not a condition I'm used to. Worried

I guess you could replace your Henry V with the upcoming Albion Kingmaker. Some Albion custom scabbards are what you really need - that Viceroy needs a nice place to live.

What about a nice custom Rondel?

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > I feel... strange... There are no swords that I REALLY want.
Page 2 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: