Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Guy Laking Wallace Collection catalogue Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sat 01 Oct, 2005 9:59 am    Post subject: Guy Laking Wallace Collection catalogue         Reply with quote

I just picked up this book, hoping it would be a reasonably-priced substitute for the rare and fairly expensive James Mann catalogues.

I've only looked at it briefly, but I can't make sense of the ascension/catalogue numbers. The book lists the "old" numbers and has an appendix with the "new" numbers, none of which seem to match up with current numbers.

For instance, we know that A&A French Medieval Sword is based off of what is currently known as item A.460. I think I found the right entry in the Laking catalogue, but I'm unsure with no pictures to guide me. I think it may be item 51 of the "old" numbers, which makes it item 8 in the "new" numbers.

Does anyone know of a chart that might compare current numbers to old versions? I'd love to be able to make this nice ~$22 book useful to me, but it's hard when you can't match the old catalogue of Laking to the current numbers (which I believe is what James Mann uses) and when there are no plates to use as a guide. Does the Mann catalogue link these numbers together?

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sat 01 Oct, 2005 10:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad,

Do you think this is a worthwhile book? I sold my expensive copy of the original Wallace Catalog because I didn't think it was worth the price. I would like to have a source for this information though.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sat 01 Oct, 2005 10:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I haven't read it through, but the info is about 100 years old. Of course, the conditions of the collection don't allow it to change, so the items are the same. If I recall correctly, the Mann catalgues at least have some plates/pictures to go with the text. This has no pics.

Without being able to link it to the current numbers and/or without any referential illustrations, it's not the best resource. It isn't expensive, though.

I may still pick up the Mann catalogues, which can be had for less than $100 used or new through A&A for $300.

Happy

ChadA

Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Wed 05 Oct, 2005 6:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, I just ordered the Mann catalogues, sans volume III (the supplement). Hopefully this will link everything together.
Happy

ChadA

Chuck Russell

Reading list: 46 books

PostPosted: Wed 05 Oct, 2005 6:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

1 and 2 are cool, 3 is more oriental if i remember right. i bought them jsut to look at armour and have a nice reference when looking things up
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 14 Oct, 2005 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Guy Laking Wallace Collection catalogue         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
Does anyone know of a chart that might compare current numbers to old versions? I'd love to be able to make this nice ~$22 book useful to me, but it's hard when you can't match the old catalogue of Laking to the current numbers (which I believe is what James Mann uses) and when there are no plates to use as a guide. Does the Mann catalogue link these numbers together?

Figured I could answer my own question. Happy I just received the Mann catalogues. There is a chart in the back that links the numbers in Laking's catalogues to Mann's. Each inventory listing in Mann's catalogue also shows the old number in brackets, just as Laking's showed the even older numbers in brackets at the end of his.

Cool. Happy

Happy

ChadA

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Guy Laking Wallace Collection catalogue
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic