Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Which Helmet? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Mark Payne

PostPosted: Wed 19 Nov, 2003 9:05 am    Post subject: Which Helmet?         Reply with quote

Hi,

All opinions appreciated.

I'm having C15th Milan plate harness made for full contact jousting. Questions are:

1. Which helmet is historically accurate / best vision?

2. Why does everyone (nearly) who jousts where highly polished, chrome finish harness? I'd like blued or black as a preference.

Anyone who can assist or offer some advise, please feel free. Many thanks.

Regards, Mark
Allan Senefelder
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 19 Nov, 2003 4:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello Mark,

We've dealt with Warhorse Productions and Hanlon Lee's at the ren faire we work at so all I can tell you
is based on our interactions with them . The chrome plate thing isn't . Its stainless . Jousters seem to be a tad
on the lazy side when it comes to equipment maintenance so rather than polish mild steel harness there seems
to be a trend twords stainless harness . Take it off throw it in the trunk and forget about it .

As for the helmet while there are a variety open to you ( barbute ect ,) from a safety standpoint the troops
we've dealt with would have gone with an armet a rondel for this harness . Hope there was something usefull.
David Rylak

PostPosted: Tue 16 Dec, 2003 10:11 pm    Post subject: which helmet         Reply with quote

Depending on exactly when in the 15th century yoiu're placing your harness you have a variety of options.
Since I'd imagine that you'd want a fully visored helmet for jousting I'd suggest an armet, a great bascinet, or a sallade with bevor. The last two are often shown in manuscript illustrations as part of blackened/blued harnesses while the armets don't seam to have been treated that way as often. From a practicle viewpoint the armet should allow the greatest freedom of movement, the salade/bevor combo restricts motion to a degree and the great bascinet would be fastened to the breast and back keeping the neck rigid.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Which Helmet?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic