myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Seen Serenity? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Mikko Kuusirati

Reading list: 13 books

PostPosted: Sat 15 Oct, 2005 6:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Edward Hitchens wrote:
I'm really liking the DVD series so far. Even in the 26th century, they still have duels of honor with rapiers! God, I love it! Laughing Out Loud

"If you require it, any gentleman here can give you the use of a sword."
"Use of a s-what?"

"Attack." ... "Now, how did I avoid that?"
"By being fast like a freak?"

"Mercy is the mark of a great man..."

Big Grin

Quote:
Thanks, Mikko, for those lyrics. That's a great song. Oh, BTW, is that song in the movie?

AFAIK, no, not as such. Haven't seen it yet, though (it won't get around to these gorram parts for some while yet).

"And sin, young man, is when you treat people like things. Including yourself. That's what sin is."
— Terry Pratchett, Carpe Jugulum
Sam Barris

PostPosted: Sat 15 Oct, 2005 3:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mikko Kuusirati wrote:
"Mercy is the mark of a great man..."

*Stabs bad guy*
"So I guess I'm just a good man."
*Stabs bad guy again*
"Well... I'm alright."

Heh. I liked that scene.

Pax,
Sam Barris

"Any nation that draws too great a distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools." —Thucydides
Carl Goff

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Sat 15 Oct, 2005 4:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mikko Kuusirati wrote:

"Damn."
*BOOT*

If you've seen it you know what I'm talking about. If not, you don't want it spoiled. Let's just say, by the end of the first aired episode I was gone and done for. Love forever.

I seem to recall catching that episode back when it came out. Found that bit kinda offputting (it's the one where the guy learns-briefly-about not making threats when you're held prisoner, right?) back then. Too fixated on honor and mercy at all costs. I'll have to check it out now that I've matured.

Oh, East of sands and sunlit gulf, your blood is thin, your gods are few;
You could not break the Northern wolf and now the wolf has turned on you.
The fires that light the coasts of Spain fling shadows on the Eastern strand.
Master, your slave has come again with torch and axe in his right hand!
-Robert E. Howard
Mikko Kuusirati

Reading list: 13 books

PostPosted: Sat 15 Oct, 2005 4:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Carl Goff wrote:
Mikko Kuusirati wrote:

"Damn."
*BOOT*

If you've seen it you know what I'm talking about. If not, you don't want it spoiled. Let's just say, by the end of the first aired episode I was gone and done for. Love forever.

I seem to recall catching that episode back when it came out. Found that bit kinda offputting (it's the one where the guy learns-briefly-about not making threats when you're held prisoner, right?) back then. Too fixated on honor and mercy at all costs. I'll have to check it out now that I've matured.

Yes. It's also the one where the show basically flips the bird at every TV series cliché ever. A definite "What the... you can do that? On TV?!" moment. I was laughing so hard I had serious trouble following the rest of the scene. Big Grin

"Now this is all the money Niska gave us in advance..."
"Oh, I get it. I'm good. Best thing for everyone. I'm right there with you."

Big Grin

"And sin, young man, is when you treat people like things. Including yourself. That's what sin is."
— Terry Pratchett, Carpe Jugulum
Gordon Frye

Reading list: 15 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sun 16 Oct, 2005 12:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I had to sit through the entire series, since my wife is an absolute nut about Firefly, and she went to see Serenity of course and loved it (though I was out of town at the time, I'll see it soon, I suspect!). I actually really enjoyed the series and look forward to the film, even though I usually can't stand commercial TV, and would as soon do almost anything else, even clean out my horse stalls, rather than go to a movie. But she loves it, so there it is. Wink

It's funny but the reason we started watching Firefly was because I had previously worked with one of the stars, Adam Baldwin, and thought "Hey, cool, we'll see what this new series is like" and enjoyed it immensely, which was quite nice to discover. (BTW, that guy is TALL! His IMDB bio claims him at 6'4", which is TOTAL baloney! I'm 6'4" and he's at LEAST two inches taller than me! Maybe three! BIG boy, that bubba!)

At any rate, as is usual in Hollywood, when ever a new team takes over management, what ever was in the pipeline or being produced (unless it is VERY well established) gets canned to make room for the new crew's favorite projects. Thus the demise of Firefly. Luckily they had already established a fan base, thus Serenity.

Sadly the series Farscape was canned mostly due to expense, as I understand it. It was one of, if not the most expensive shows on TV, even being filmed in Oz, and it's good-but-not-fantastic ratings weren't worth the expense, I guess. If you check out the production values, they were absolute top-notch, with LOTS of stuff going on in the background, great make-up, and pretty decent writing too. Sad, I rather liked that one myself.

Cheers!

Gordon

"After God, we owe our victory to our Horses"
Gonsalo Jimenez de Quesada
http://www.renaissancesoldier.com/
http://historypundit.blogspot.com/
John Cooksey

PostPosted: Mon 17 Oct, 2005 11:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I saw it, and plan to see it a couple of more times before it leaves theaters.
Then I am going to buy the DVD, and a couple more copies to share with friends and family.

I started watching Firefly about halfway through its season, and immediately fell in love with it. Then I bought the DVDs, and watched them a couple times. :-) In a strange way, I felt this show was about me (not being solipsistic here, I hope) . . . . it just spoke to me, on so many levels.
Of course, I am a complete cowboy and utter rebel at heart, and a spaceflight nut. Wait a second, I really am a cowboy! :-)
Boots and guns and horses and cows, too!
Doesn't hurt that the good captain shares my paternal grandmother's surname, and that there was a "Captain Reynolds" in our family tree.

I introduced this show to a group of about 6 friends, and they each shared it with others.

I am a longtime Whedon fan. I enjoyed the heck out of Buffy, once I found out what it was really like, and really liked Angel.
Of course they are cheesy, but they are also utterly funny with their dry sarcasm, and they are utterly defiant.
I admire that. :-)

Just my two credits worth, on a night of much wine.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Seen Serenity?
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: