Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Hacked up baskethilts Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Tom Carr

PostPosted: Thu 20 Nov, 2003 11:01 pm    Post subject: Hacked up baskethilts         Reply with quote

A couple of years ago, I had a subscription the the monthly The Highlander. In one of the issues, it had an article about Scottish baskets that were cut down to a mortuary hilt style for the Scottish cavalry. Some of the swords were by very reputable makers in Edinburgh and Glasgow. They included some that were custom made for the officer and not just issue swords. Presumably these baskets were cut down to follow the new standard issue pattern for Scottish cavalry. A terrible shame if you ask me. I dont know for sure if it was required or if it was just encouraged, but appears to have been a stop gap measure. As newer purpose made swords came out the practice stopped. Has anyone seen any of these cut down baskets. The pics in the article were good b/w pictures, but as the paper was more of a newsprint type they didn't show very fine detail. If I find these old issues, I'll try to scan some pics and text for the folks here. The basket was generally cut down to the second bar on each side and while giving the trooper a bit more room for his hand, it just butchered the looks. Does anyone know of another resource to find some examples of these rare pieces?
E.B. Erickson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 21 Nov, 2003 5:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Tom,
I'm assuming that you're talking about baskets of the 16 and 1700s that were modified, right? I ask because I have seen such items at English auctions, but they don't show up often. I've also seen one from the early 1700s that had the wristguards and sideplate removed from the left side only, making a 3/4 basket out of a full basket. Also one large English cavalry basket that had had the left saltire plate removed, enabling the cavalryman to use his reins with his right hand while holding the sword.

--ElJay
Tom Carr

PostPosted: Fri 21 Nov, 2003 8:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

E.B. Erickson wrote:
Hi Tom,
I'm assuming that you're talking about baskets of the 16 and 1700s that were modified, right? I ask because I have seen such items at English auctions, but they don't show up often. I've also seen one from the early 1700s that had the wristguards and sideplate removed from the left side only, making a 3/4 basket out of a full basket. Also one large English cavalry basket that had had the left saltire plate removed, enabling the cavalryman to use his reins with his right hand while holding the sword.

--ElJay

Thats it! There were some fine baskets hacked up. But I suppose military expediency being what it is, function trumps looks. Sad Someones beautiful hard work, sacrificed for a better grip! The ones in the article were by the premier basket makers of their day. The blades were mostly german, Solengen and others. A few with Fererra on the blades. Some were misspelled. Wink But then lots of blade makers in those days tried to pass there work off as being by the most sought after smiths. Anyone know where you can see any of these on the web. It is a interesting chapter in sword lore.
Geoff Wood

PostPosted: Fri 21 Nov, 2003 9:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Someones beautiful hard work, sacrificed for a better grip!

Hi Tom
Fair's fair. Wouldn't you do that if you had to put your life on the line? I'd agree with you if it was another collector, rather than a soldier. I know if it was me I'd cut down the basket, parry with the edge, paint the damned thing pink or whatever else if it helped me stay alive. Still, just my opinion.
Geoff
Scott Bubar

PostPosted: Fri 21 Nov, 2003 5:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Pat Tougher has this sword up at his site, not a dragoon sword:

The British National Maritime Museum has this one, belonging to a naval officer long after the presumed date of manufacture:

Broadsword (WPN 1117).

Armour Class has this replica dragoon sword, which looks cut-down a bit:

Last edited by Scott Bubar on Sat 22 Nov, 2003 5:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Tom Carr

PostPosted: Sat 22 Nov, 2003 12:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Scott Bubar wrote:
Pat Tougher has this sword up at his sight, not a dragoon sword:
The British National Maritime Museum has this one, belonging to a naval officer long after the presumed date of manufacture:

Broadsword (WPN 1117).

Armour Class has this replica dragoon sword, which looks cut-down a bit:

Ouch! That first sword is painful to look at! I agree keeping alive is the most important thing, but from an aesthetic point of view, its just a sin! The second is much better, even though its a replica. Most showed good work, but some of the baskets looked like a blacksmith had just chopped it up. As some of the swords in the article were owned by officers that could afford a new sword with the proper balance of features.! The average trooper on the other hand didnt get a custom made basket. Those would not be a sin.
Tom Carr

PostPosted: Sat 22 Nov, 2003 1:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

By the way Scott, thanks for the link to Collections Online. Very much what Im talking about.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Hacked up baskethilts
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic