Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > MRL Sword of Patay, info for a newbie Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Mark Gattis

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Fri 23 Sep, 2005 7:38 am    Post subject: MRL Sword of Patay, info for a newbie         Reply with quote

Howdy folks, I have been lurking around here for a short time and have really enjoyed learning what I can about historical European weapons from all of you.

I do have a question. I recently got a MRL “Sword of Patay”. MRL had this model in there closeout section for under a hundred dollars so I picked one up. I’ve wanted to find an affordable sword to handle in the backyard, and I wanted one that looked “Medieval”. So the Patay was a great buy for me.

Now I have only owned one sword before the Patay, and I am not experienced with arms at all. So while I expect my MRL sword is more of a “wall hanger” than a true weapon, I am curious to learn just how good or bad the Patay is as swords go.

I don’t study with any group or know anything about fencing. I have bashed around a few cardboard boxes and the random rose bush with my MRL sword, using very poor technique I’m sure. From the reviews I’ve read from on this site I suspect that the blade of the Patay is softer than needed to produce the proper cut or thrusting results that a true sword (type 18) would.

Am I correct?

Thanks

Mark Gattis
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 23 Sep, 2005 8:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mark,
Welcome to the forums and welcome to the sword-collecting world! The Sword of Patay is an attractive one, and it's based (loosely) on a historical sword, rather than being a generic example like some of MRL's recent offerings. In fact, the sword that inspired it is example XVIII.4 in Sean's great Type XVIII spotlight:

http://www.myArmoury.com/view.html?features/pic_spotxviii14.jpg

I've owned a few MRL's, including a more recent model, the Towton. MRL swords produced today are typically decent bangs for the buck, though they, quite understandably, don't always compare well to more expensive swords. My main complaint with them is that they seem to have gone overboard with the "blades need to be flexible" thing. Not every sword type needs to as flexible as a thin-cross-sectioned cutting blade. Their blades on cut and thrust swords tend to be a little thin and can be slightly whippy. For a Type XVIII, the Patay should have some stiffness, to aid in thrusting.

MRL swords are generally attractive these days. Some folks may not like the brass fittings, but the original sword's hilt is of gilt bronze, so it's as close as MRL is going to get. I don't mind brass. If you paid $100 or less, I'm sure you got your money's worth and more. My Towton was less than $200 and I felt it was worth at least a $100 more. The Patay was likely a good start to an expensive hobby. Happy

For reference purposes, here's a pic of the Patay from http://www.silvermane.com:

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Fri 23 Sep, 2005 9:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Welcome to myArmoury Mark.

I'll echo Chads statements. The blade's tend to be too flexible on most of the latest MRL swords I've seen. That is to say the designs that should have some stiffness for the thrust. This is fine in the early designs that are cutting dedicated. What I have found is that most MRL swords are now worth their full retail price, so if you purchased this sword for under $100.00 you definitely made a good purchase.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Jean Thibodeau

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Fri 23 Sep, 2005 9:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mark;

Welcome to the site.

As to hardness of the steel I can tell you that I am trying to sharpen a MRL Anelace dagger by hand and a file will barely bite into the steel, I'm using a diamond hone to do the job a few minutes or hours every few days when the mood strikes: It's taking a long time. Eek!

Difficult to tell, but hardness must be at least 50 R.C. but I suspect closer to 58 R.C. based on how sharpening some folding knives that I know to be 60 R.C.

But soft steel 40 R.C. would be easy to cut with a file.

On the other hand once I " FINALLY " get it sharp it should stay that way and the labour involved will not have been a waste of time.

As I asked on a topic of my own: I don't know if this is typical hardness for recent production MRL ( Windlass ) swords.
My Medieval Chopper is much softer steel.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Fri 23 Sep, 2005 11:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ditto, and, for what it's worth, I would have snatched up one of those if I collected replicas of that era. In fact, that one, the Towton and the Arbedo sorely tempted me to expand my focus.

By the way, brass antiques very well and you'd have little problem turning your basement-bargain into a really beautiful faux-antique. See this article for ideas:

http://www.myArmoury.com/feature_antique.html

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Jean Thibodeau

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Fri 23 Sep, 2005 2:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean;

Look up my Anelace topic if you haven't already read it yet as I have antiqued the blade real nice.

You have to try my lemon juice and textured paper method of antiquing to see if you like it.

12 hours is enough to deeply etch the blade and can give you a faux damascus look or more random pattern ( You have to experiment with different paper textures or embossed patterns.

Sorry, about the topic change.

The MRL although not the top makers seem to be improving their line and the way they are put together.

They are decent entry level stuff and can be very interesting for antiquing project as one hesitates to do too much to an Albion pr A & A and if one makes a terrible mistake at least it wasn't an expensive one.

The MRL are also good to add variety to ones collection without having to spend $1000 on every piece. Laughing Out Loud

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Mark Gattis

PostPosted: Mon 26 Sep, 2005 7:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback. I'm new to collecting swords and have a lot to learn. This forum looks like a good place to start.

MCG

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > MRL Sword of Patay, info for a newbie
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic